Continental releases the ExtremeContact Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.
DSC_7853-2.jpg

DSC_7856-2.jpg

DSC_7849.jpg

DSC_7847-2.jpg

DSC_7845.jpg

Continental is really turning out a good looking tire...I notice the summer tires all have a more tapered rounded-off outside shoulder, like the more squared outside corner to look at anyway.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
I notice the summer tires all have a more tapered rounded-off outside shoulder

Yeah, my old CSC2 were the same way.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
Continental is really turning out a good looking tire...I notice the summer tires all have a more tapered rounded-off outside shoulder, like the more squared outside corner to look at anyway.

the rounded shoulder blocks gives more predictable handling in the dry.

when you look at winter tires, the shoulder blocks will give you an indication of the target design of the traction capabilities.

Has anyone caught this note on TR's website?

Quote:
Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.

I certainly don't intend to drive them in below freezing temps, but I just found it interesting that TR put that in the description of this Conti tire, linking it to cracking that is not covered by warranty.

I don't see anything like this in the description of Michelin PSS, for example. I think Pirelli states something similar to Conti as well.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Better than PSS? Lower cost?

PSS competitor is Continental SportContact 6.

Except that CSC6 is only available for 19" and larger rims. The PSS can be had for 17" rims and above.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Except that CSC6 is only available for 19" and larger rims. The PSS can be had for 17" rims and above.

Yeah, but performance wise that is same category. Continental Extremecontact Sport is tire unique to NA market. Continental sells in performance category only CSC5 and 6 in Europe.
Continental plays bit different game here, offering cheaper products. That is why in winter category we do not have probably best overall winter tire in the world, Continental TS860 here, but version for NA market, wintercontact SI, which is much cheaper then TS860.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Yeah, but performance wise that is same category.

I know, but if you don't show up to the fight, how can you compete?

Continental Extremecontact Sport is tire unique to NA market. Continental sells in performance category only CSC5 and 6 in Europe.
Continental plays bit different game here, offering cheaper products. That is why in winter category we do not have probably best overall winter tire in the world, Continental TS860 here, but version for NA market, wintercontact SI, which is much cheaper then TS860.

I don't know why Conti does this, since they also have General over here. I think Conti should sell the TS8xx winter tires here, and sell the SI as a General. Conti should give us the CSC and ContiPremiumContact, and sell the ExtremeContact Sport as a General.

Michelin understands they don't need a cheaper performance summer tire under their own name. That's what BF Goodrich is for. Michelin's most direct competitor to the ExtrmeContact Sport is the BF Goodrich Sport Comp-2.

Would you buy the ExtremeContact Sport over the Comp-2?

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Continental Extremecontact Sport is tire unique to NA market. Continental sells in performance category only CSC5 and 6 in Europe.

I don't know why Conti does this, since they also have General over here. I think Conti should sell the TS8xx winter tires here, and sell the SI as a General. Conti should give us the CSC and ContiPremiumContact, and sell the ExtremeContact Sport as a General.

Michelin understands they don't need a cheaper performance summer tire under their own name. That's what BF Goodrich is for. Michelin's most direct competitor to the ExtrmeContact Sport is the BF Goodrich Sport Comp-2.

Would you buy the ExtremeContact Sport over the Comp-2?

I agree, if they offered TS960, I would get that tire, forget Michelin, Bridgestone and Nokian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back