Fram COR3614TLE cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just purchased a 2016 Volkswagen Jetta and the first thing I did I changed the oil and filter. The car has 13,845 miles on it, so I don't know how many miles on this filter and oil.

I replaced it with a Bosch D3330 I bought at Walmart for $3.00 on clearance, and put Valvoline 5W40 MST back in.

Question about this CORE filter. Does it have a bypass valve? I couldn't see any and I can't find any info on this filter. Also, anyone knows when this filter was made?

I think; and I'm probably wrong but the bypass is in your last pic. Can someone tell
Me
I'm wrong or confirm?

Thanks
smile.gif

As far as i know all of our filters have a bypass atleast thats what a fram email told me when a cust was concered of voiding his warrenty.

That is a Walmart exclusive tire and lube express oil change filter. The last time it had its oil changed was at WalMart. I would be interested to know if they used the correct specific oil.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
That is a Walmart exclusive tire and lube express oil change filter. The last time it had its oil changed was at WalMart. I would be interested to know if they used the correct specific oil.
Highly doubt it. Probably got some bulk 5w-30 dino. Most quick lubes can't be trusted with German cars.

the rules at walmart is you have to get the oil weight on your oil cap if it doesnt have a weight you can get any oil change you want. Youd be surprised on how many people get the 20$ quaker oil change in there euro car.

The inner holes on the base plate means it has a combo bypass anti drain valve. Loos like Champ style. It looks like an Ecore Fram all different parts sewn together. Looks pretty good to me.

In picture 9, you can see six smaller holes located next to the outlet, this is the bypass. The ADBV and the bypass valve are essentially a combo valve since they are one piece.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dylan1303
the rules at walmart is you have to get the oil weight on your oil cap if it doesnt have a weight you can get any oil change you want. Youd be surprised on how many people get the 20$ quaker oil change in there euro car.
I also doubt that. VW also says 5w-30 is acceptable but would rather have 5w-40. Even if they did a 5w-40 i bet it isnt the right stuff.

Looks a lot like the Purepro filter I cut open.

It has a combo valve (ADV and Bypass in same assembly), the giveaway is the 2 sets of holes in the base plate.

From what I understand these are the Champ e-core filters, guess this one was made when Champ and Fram were still together.

I thought Motorking has said these were going away and there would only be Fram Pro and Fram Pro Synthetic? Not sure if WM will have it's own brand Fram filter.

Looks like a basic filter that is a good filter for a "normal" OCI.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
It has a combo valve (ADV and Bypass in same assembly), the giveaway is the 2 sets of holes in the base plate.

Good catch.

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I doubt they used the correct stuff, so that is why I wanted to get it all out of there as soon as possible. At 13k miles total on the car the oil couldn't have been in there more than 3-4k. I gambled a bit, but I think it will be alright.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
According to FRAM.com XX3614 is the correct filter for a 2016 Jetta 1.4T at least.

Correct. I was referring to the oil that they used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back