Binoculars

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually keep binoculars in the car....it is really interesting watching stuff around you when you are parked and gazing out the windshield....reasons, safety,you never know what others might be planning to do in your little space at the moment....lots of things can happen and you might be the only eye witness to some funny business....my 10 cents worth.

When I was in HazMat training to get my on scene commander license, teachers asked a question about what is the single most important item you need to have when pulling up to an unknown spill.....the answer....binoculars. You'd use those to stay away, remember this is an unknown material, and be able to safely read the placards and look for injuries.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
I usually keep binoculars in the car....it is really interesting watching stuff around you when you are parked and gazing out the windshield....reasons, safety,you never know what others might be planning to do in your little space at the moment....lots of things can happen and you might be the only eye witness to some funny business....my 10 cents worth.

Bird watchen' or Wimmen watchin.'
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Great for watching auto races, boating, and yes bird watching, lots of eagles near us on the lake and for hunting..........you all need to get out more often....now back to slicing and dicing oil filters??

Last edited:
A couple of favorites are quality conventional porro prism 7x50's and roof prism 8x42's (inline style) . Both sizes have great properties. I tend to avoid 10x binoculars, as it's much more difficult to keep a steady image when hand-holding them.

Quality 7x50's have a nice large exit pupil, resulting in excellent usefulness at night. Have a modest power (7x) and 50mm lenses, to gather lots of light and a nice field of view. Great in all around use, and especially easy to use.

The 8x42's are lighter, inline, so they are compact, have excellent eye relief and also have a great field of view. 8x42's are often used by bird watchers, looking for detail.

Other sizes tend to have limitations that I find less than optimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back