Carquest Red (Fram) R85372 C&P, 3400 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a Fram made Carquest Red 85372 I got from Rock Auto.
It has been on the truck since August of last year, ~ 7 months, but only 3400 miles.
I just can't make myself go longer than that time wise. Ever since I hit 6 months I have been itching to do it.
I drive a lot of short trips (only 3 miles to work 3x a week), but at least once a month I do take a long (2+ hour highway) trip.
Filter looks similar to the other one I cut open last oil change.

Filter:

Date Code (March 9, 2015)

Base Plate:

Inside can (a lot more debris than I was expecting):

No louvers here (well, a few where the seam is, not for oil flow):

Spring

Pleat spacing, not too bad, just 2 that were kind of wide:

And all the parts (including very pliable nitril ADV).

And the new stuff, ST2 filter and Havoline HM 5w-20

I wish Fram, or even Wix, were still making these. They were a great value filter, but with Purolator taking over...

On another note, I was suprised at how much stuff was in the filter.
I had always used a Dremel to cut my filters open, so I thought most of what I saw was from it getting cut open.
Now that I have an actual filter cutter, I see there is a lot of debris in there that was actually caught by the filter.

Looks good to me
smile.gif

Yeah, Carquest may have sliced their own throats trusting Purolator. Was this ran with the PP/Nextgen frankenbrew?

Nice. Thanks for the c&p. I think you absolutely made the right call on the oc based on the time and use situation you describe. I would do the same thing.

Originally Posted By: car51
Looks good to me
smile.gif

Yeah, Carquest may have sliced their own throats trusting Purolator. Was this ran with the PP/Nextgen frankenbrew?

Yup. Also added 2 qts of makeup oil ("used" oil from the Scion, it was PP with 5000 easy miles on it, I call it PP²). I was hoping that it would not use as much oil with the PP mixed in, but it still goes through 1 qt every 1500 miles. I know the Valvoline Nextgen had a bad NOACK values, was hoping that was the cause, since I can't find anyting else (PCV is good, no blue smoke, etc).
We will see how it does with the Havoline HM.

You did a very good job here. Those Carquest red filters were very well built. I agree with you that it is too bad that went to another supplier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back