Chrysler Town & Country Engines - 3.6, 4.0 or 3.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rented a T&C a few years ago with the 3.6, I was impressed and the mileage was great for a minivan (high 20's). We have owned several vans (still have one) and none of them came close to that kind of mileage, power was good too.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
The filter cap or something else (son has 3.6L Charger) ?

Here is a posting from another wesbite for the Dodge Minivan forums
http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthr...astar-V6/page17

Please post if you have had an oil leak on your 2014 3.6L Pentastar V6
For 2014, Chrysler made a change to a part called the "oil filter adapter" which sits on top of the engine, under the intake manifold. There are now a parade of people with various Chrysler vehicles that use the 3.6L reporting that the new part cracks, causing a major oil leak, potentially a fire, and can cause your engine to be drained of all oil.

If you have had an oil leak, and the dealership told you the issue was the oil filter adapter, the oil cooler or the oil cooler cover, post up here. We are going top try to get pressure on Chrysler to at least redesign the part.

Part number is 68105583AA and it applies only to 2014 3.6L Chrysler V6 engines, at least so far. Similar issues have been reported with the new 3.2L V6 used in the Cherokee, but it apparently has a different part number.

He mentions 2014's only, but I'm not sure if other model years may have this issue. I would be cautious.

Also note that the 2011 to 2013 will not have the HD brakes. This means the brakes wear out a lot faster. Here's a post that will let me know if you have a Caravan with the HD brakes. You also need to have 17 inch rims in order to clear the HD calipers. Some members do a HD brake upgrade.

http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthr...s-or-not./page6

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JC1

Also note that the 2011 to 2013 will not have the HD brakes. This means the brakes wear out a lot faster. Here's a post that will let me know if you have a Caravan with the HD brakes. You also need to have 17 inch rims in order to clear the HD calipers. Some members do a HD brake upgrade.

I can't say for 2011, but 2012-13 can have HD brakes depending on the option package. 16" wheels are an easy way to tell if it's got the crummy brakes.

Last edited:
My late year 2013 Pentastar just failed miserably. It's with the dealer for the next 2-3 weeks waiting on a new long block. Failed head, which lead to a failed/cracked block after further inspection.

It has 84,000 KM (~52k miles).

I wouldn't put 2013's into the 'reliable' bucket just yet.

Yes, mine had the HD brake which were quite reliable and had great stopping power.

I loved this van, up until this week. Had this happened 10k miles later I would be out of pocket thousands upon thousands to get it back to a functional state.

Back in the day, I had two minivans for several years (his/hers). One was the 1992 Plymouth Grand Voyager with the miserable 3.0L V6 from Mitsubishi. The other was the far better 1993 Dodge Grand Caravan LE with the excellent Chrysler sourced 3.3L V6.

I nursed that terrible 3.0L to 250K+ miles with many major issues worked on (yes, I was stupid). The valve guides got "swallowed" into the head and leaked/burned oil until I had them reconditioned to fix that known manufacturing defect (on my dime I might add). I also had the internal coolant pipe in the V6 valley corrode and leak more than once. In the end, it leaked and burned oil very badly and had a nasty valve tick that sounded like a ticking time bomb (which it was in my opinion). A total piece of junk.

On the other hand, I ran the 3.3L to 250K+ miles with no issues at all! Ran great, never used/leaked oil and had decently more power than the 3.0L Mitsi engine.

Originally Posted By: webfors
My late year 2013 Pentastar just failed miserably. It's with the dealer for the next 2-3 weeks waiting on a new long block. Failed head, which lead to a failed/cracked block after further inspection.

It has 84,000 KM (~52k miles).

I wouldn't put 2013's into the 'reliable' bucket just yet.

Yes, mine had the HD brake which were quite reliable and had great stopping power.

I loved this van, up until this week. Had this happened 10k miles later I would be out of pocket thousands upon thousands to get it back to a functional state.

It isn't covered under the 10 year, 150,000 mile extended warranty for the engines affected by the head issue?

Originally Posted By: Motortrend

Chrysler announced this morning that it will be extending the warranty on 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 engines in certain 2011-2013 vehicles due to cracked cylinder heads on early versions of the engine.

According to Automotive News, roughly 7500 engines built as the Pentastar V-6 was first coming out in 2012, were found to be susceptible to left-cylinder head cracks, potentially resulting in engine failure. Chrysler first discovered the issue when customers began complaining that their vehicles were making ticking noises, stalling, or that the instrument panel was inexplicably displaying a check engine light.

The 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 comes with a 5-year/100,000 mile warranty, which Chrysler will be extending to 10-years/150,000 miles on the left-cylinder head. The cracked left-cylinder head issue potentially affects about 0.5-percent of vehicles equipped with the 3.6-liter V-6. Chrysler determined that subpar fuel along with a number of driving conditions contributed to the issue. A design modification in late 2012 has reportedly fixed the issue in newer vehicles.

We did not receive a letter indicating we were issued an extended warranty, and the dealer stated my VIN doesn't fall into the list of affected vehicles.

My understanding is the extended warranty would only cover the left cylinder head. I would have been out of pocket for the block. Moot since I'm not eligible.

New long block is nice, and they gave no hassle whatsoever. I'm impressed with the level of warranty service. That being said, this is a big hit in confidence with the pentastar.

New long block is nice, and they gave no hassle whatsoever. I'm impressed with the level of warranty service. That being said, this is a big hit in confidence with the pentastar.

Wow! What symptoms did it have before the van pooped out? I've been following these things way before we bought our 2013 and I've never read of a Pentastar failure like this. A few cracked heads was about it. Was this covered by the powertrain warranty? Glad to hear they have it sorted and did it well.

Originally Posted By: JTK

Wow! What symptoms did it have before the van pooped out? I've been following these things way before we bought our 2013 and I've never read of a Pentastar failure like this. A few cracked heads was about it. Was this covered by the powertrain warranty? Glad to hear they have it sorted and did it well.

It started with a P0152, oxygen sensor error. Cleared it. 1200KM later it came back. This time with hesitation, rough idling, surging. So far everything that has been communicated to me is that the powertrain warranty will cover the long block replacement.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...failure_#UNREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back