Hazelwood Power Station Commences Closure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brown Coal
No Reheat Cycle
Poor efficiency
Closing commencing this week

Hope link works, it should jus be a news search instead of an individual link to articles.

Back in the days of state owned power, it was due to come out in the '90s, and be replaced with something better as was the process that they adopted...outlasted far better, newer and more efficient machines, so had a good run.

Bit sad that former workmates who fled one of our plant closures to Hazelwood get to go through it again, but that's the industry ATM.

Interesting point of history. Old power plants are an international symbol of...old.

Old ones in China and Russia come to mind.

Wouldn't a wholesale effort at efficiency and cleanliness be a nifty thing? (signed), Dreamer

Huh
33.gif

Last edited:
We really should return(and have been thanks to natural gas) to the old model of power generation. Many small plants... and many of them. The problem is these new "peak" plants are ran by huge electric monopolies or private corporations.

The municipalities seem to no longer be into electric power generation.

Many municipalities around here operates diesel power generation, however I've never seen them operate, maybe during extended power outages, just manned 24/7 by union employees.

There used to be small coal plants ran by municipalities.

Last edited:
Four Corners near Farmington,NM is still operating. Should have been shut down years ago but it is a moneymaker because of the brown stuff they burn. In the 70s, the cars in the parking lot would be covered with an inch or more of ash. Develope a tube leak and they would run the unit till it couldn't function and then spend days and weeks replacing tubes.Nothing came before generation, NOTHING.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
We really should return(and have been thanks to natural gas) to the old model of power generation. Many small plants... and many of them. The problem is these new "peak" plants are ran by huge electric monopolies or private corporations.

The municipalities seem to no longer be into electric power generation.

Many municipalities around here operates diesel power generation, however I've never seen them operate, maybe during extended power outages, just manned 24/7 by union employees.

There used to be small coal plants ran by municipalities.

Vern, here FPL pays a "franchise fee" to the local municipalities (billed as a separate line on my power bill) that is intended to allow cities access to revenue without generating and selling the electricity directly. It prevents competition, and only adds to my power bill.

It's something to the tune of 5% if I remember, it's capped at 6% (by FPL I believe)

Glad to see an inefficient brown coal plant close. But dang, power plants used to be things of beauty. Not that Hazelwood is particularly attractive, I'm talking the 1930's art-deco beauties. Everything from really big ones like Battersea in Britain:

6e0e72_b6e522b3e93b4f5681d8c662748845dc.jpg

Our little local Seaholm Power Plant that shuttered in the mid 1970s but is being preserved as a shopping center:

7572967.jpg

[URL]http://3f6gmwjc042y44cs2mzllxrr.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/10-Generators.gif[/URL][i/mg]

The preserved Comal Power Station in New Braunfels, TX:

[IMG]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/74/Comal_power_plant_2012.jpg/500px-Comal_power_plant_2012.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back