Digital Quantum Battery discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
In another thread, someone mentioned Toyota's announcement that they wanted to reduce costs by at least 30% by 2013 and stated that that caused the accelerator issues which were actually the result of a policy that Toyota announced in 2002. In response, I decided to mention Digital Quantum Batteries, which would theoretically allow Toyota to meet its goals while making their cars more reliable. Here is what I said:

Originally Posted By: ShiningArcanine
That is completely unrelated to this issue, but if you want to play that game, I can play it too. They can always switch to electric engines, which only have a rotor that moves as opposed to the hundreds that gasoline engines have.

The fuel line, fuel filter and fuel pump could be replaced with a simple wire to a Digital Quantum Battery:

http://www.physorg.com/news180704455.html

According to some calculations I did with some figures I found via Google, Digital Quantum Batteries store the same amount of energy per unit mass that gasoline has after the efficiency of the internal combustion engine taken into account, so in theory, they could just replace the gasoline tank with a digital quantum battery, attach a wire to it that leads to the engine compartment where the engine was replaced by an electric engine and call it a day. The radiator and engine coolant could be removed as well. All you would need to add is a simple electric heater (e.g. a resistor) for the heating system. The lead acid battery, air intake, air filter, oil filter and oil could be removed as well. In theory, the brake rotors, brake calipers and brake pads could be replaced entirely with regenerative braking.

All of those things (electric engine, digital quantum battery, wire and a resistor) are dirt cheap compared to what Toyota puts in their cars today. In fact, since a Digital Quantum Battery is just a series of capacitors, you can charge one in less time than it would take to fill a tank of gasoline. Not to mention that since so many parts are being removed, the engine compartment could be miniaturized, which would yield additional cost savings.

Doing this should remove at least 30% of the parts used in cars by weight. Problem solved.

Mechanicx asked that I start a new thread for this, so here it is.

Anyway, I made a post about Digital Quantum batteries on another forum where I quoted some numbers and did some calculations that showed them to contain the same energy as gasoline after the efficiency of an internal combustion engine is taken into account. The calculations were actually done for the Lithium Air battery, but Digital Quantum batteries claim to have about the same energy density advantage over Lithium Ion batteries that Lithium Air batteries claim to have, so it should work for them as well. Here is a quote:

Originally Posted By: "Shining Arcanine"
I have heard about Lithium Air batteries in the past, but today I saw a new article on them:

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/56498

There were some numbers for energy storage for gasoline and for lithium-air. Assuming that a gasoline engine is 40% energy efficient, which I doubt, it seems that the two are roughly at energy parity in terms of weight, so in theory, you could make a car with these (if you had them) that weighed either the same or less than its gasoline equivalent. Considering that electric engines are simpler than gasoline engines, I assume that one suitable for automotive purposes would enable a car to weigh less than it would have if it had a gasoline engine, however, the battery by itself does not seem to have any reason to make it to weigh more, so I imagine that the worst case would be that an electric car with a Lithium Air battery would weigh the same as a gasoline car.

However, after reading the comments about the article on slashdot, I saw a reference to a "Digital Quantum Battery", which I googled and found:

http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/24265/?a=f

The claimed energy density increase over Lithium-Ion is similar to the claimed energy density increase by Lithium-Air over Lithium-Ion and it is made out of a solid state array of really tiny capacitors. I find this to be more exciting than Lithium-Air, as capacitors always have the same maximum capacity regardless of recharge/discharge cycles, so it would never need to be replaced. I think it would be awesome to have these in my laptop, my cell phone and my car, especially in my car, as even without buying a new car, I could in theory use one to replace my car's lead acid battery, which would reduce my car's weight.

What do you guys think?

No one replied.

Anyway, the defining characteristics of the Digital Quantum Battery are:
  • It should have an extremely high power output (higher than Lead Acid batteries) because it is really just a bunch of capacitors.
  • Since it uses Quantum Effects to prevent the charges it stores from migrating through its insulator, it can store extremely high quantities of energy, which is roughly at parity with gasoline after the efficiency of an automotive internal combustion engine is taken into account if the numbers physicists provide are to be believed.
  • Since it is really just an array of solid state capacitors, it can be charged much faster than an array of electrochemical cells (i.e. a regular battery), such that it could probably be charged in a few seconds if you provide a high enough voltage and current.
  • Since it is really just an array of solid state capacitors, unlike a chemical based battery, it should never need to be replaced.
In theory, this should allow for you to drive cross-country by going to charging stations, plugging your car into it, waiting a few seconds, unplugging it and driving off (paying first of course). The main thing that should limit the rate of charge is really the electrical resistance of the cables involved, as the higher the rate of charge, the more heat the cables will put out. This issue is similar to how the viscosity of gasoline prevents you from pumping a full tank into the car in under a second and probably is not much of a concern. The only real concern would be the design of the plugs, because if you accidentally shock yourself, you will likely die, but this is probably a less severe issue than the issue with gasoline where if you accidentally drop a lit match into the tank, it will explode.

A few other thoughts are that charging stations, to avoid putting too much of a strain on the power grid, would need to have large digital quantum batteries to act as a buffer to prevent a bunch of simultaneous recharges from causing black-outs. Homes could probably use these for similar purposes, possibly also eliminating the need for a backup generator in the event of a black out. Panasonic is designing a home lithium ion battery that this could possibly replace:

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/20...y-home-use-2011

Another plus is that since cars would no longer rely on chemical reactions, they would no longer be able to explode in collisions, so crash safety would be improved by this technology.

There was talk of making propeller based planes that used nuclear power plants a while ago. It never managed to get off the ground, possibly because of 9/11, but this technology would probably allow them to substitute the nuclear power plant for a digital quantum battery that could be charged at the airport much like cars being recharged at a charging station, so in theory, we could probably eliminate the majority of our oil consumption, assuming people are willing to wait a little longer to travel around the world. The main uses for oil could shift from fuels to lubricants, plastics and rubbers, although the military would likely still need JP4 for jets and possibly also diesel fuel for tanks due to logistical issues. I believe that ships and helicopters will likely be able to switch to these batteries, but I think that it is unlikely that the navy will be willing to switch because ships tend to be surrounded by electrically conductive water.

Anyway, I think these things would allow the US to stop using foreign oil, assuming that a transition is made from vehicles that rely on gasoline/diesel to electrical vehicles that use these batteries. The power grid will not have the capacity to deal with the increased load and I do not think it would be feasible to add enough coal burning power plants to it to support the increased load, so the US will need to build new nuclear power plants, which given the recent state of the union address, is a possibility. In the long term, I find it likely that oil refineries and oil wells would shut down as the price of petroleum drops with demand, which will lead to attempts by the oil industry to kill this technology. I think this because I realized a while ago when oil industry executives were talking about how much they wanted oil prices to increase (rather than demand) that they cared more about making money than actual people.

That summarizes my thoughts. What do you guys think?

I found the physicist's paper on the subject:

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/a-hubler/www/digitalquantumbatteries.pdf

It would be great if his thoughts could be validated by other members of the scientific community, as the notion of storing an order of magnitude greater energy than a lithium ion battery using an array of capacitors really excited me, however, I am sure that it will take 5 to 10 years before this is validated/debunked and possibly longer before we hear about it unless Congress decides to throw money at its development, in which case we would hear about it on every news channel at least once a week for years. :/

Very interesting. Great post!

I'm not sure how you'd replace a conventional brake system with out having using some of the stored energy in the battery. To stop the car using the electric motor wouldn't you need to use energy to reverse the field to provide a counter motive force?

I guess if you could modify the regenerative system to really load up the motor (now a generator) to the point of providing sufficient stopping power it might work, but that seems tough.

One neat thing to see might be four small electric motor/generators, one for each wheel, to provide true AWD. A conventional friction-type braking system could be incorporated to provide maximum regeneration, and to take over in the event of a malfunction or if regenerative braking wasn't necessary, like after a "fill up"

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Very interesting. Great post!

I'm not sure how you'd replace a conventional brake system with out having using some of the stored energy in the battery. To stop the car using the electric motor wouldn't you need to use energy to reverse the field to provide a counter motive force?

I guess if you could modify the regenerative system to really load up the motor (now a generator) to the point of providing sufficient stopping power it might work, but that seems tough.

One neat thing to see might be four small electric motor/generators, one for each wheel, to provide true AWD. A conventional friction-type braking system could be incorporated to provide maximum regeneration, and to take over in the event of a malfunction or if regenerative braking wasn't necessary, like after a "fill up"

No, reversing things with the electric engine should make it offer resistance, which would generate energy. This same exact concept is used in windmills where the windmill's fan resists the wind to capture energy.

Electric motors actually are more efficient if they are bigger, so putting a small one on each wheel will harm the efficiency. It might also cause alignment issues considering that the wheels would no be connected to axles.

This is just a concept. There 1000s of reasons why it may not work.
However, after saying this I believe nanotechnologies will give us breakthroughs in many disciplines.

I understand the concept. For current regenerative braking systems, the point of generating power with the motor isn't to slow down the car, but to load up the motor (now generator) to regain some of the energy that would have been lost by the brakes as heat to the enviroment.

To work, IMO, the regenerative charging system would need to incorporate a variable resistance mechanism to load up the motor (now generator) enough to decelerate the car at a variable rate. This would generate a lot of heat in the load bank, and also the motor (now generator.) I'm not sure how they would get around using a conventional braking system. Hmmm what're your thoughts?

I don't know enough to know whether four smaller motors would effect efficiency. It seems to me that removing the drivetrain losses would counter any loss in motor efficiency.

How do current electric vehicles transmit power from the motor to the wheels? Is there a variable speed tranny or is it directly driven by the motor?

Last edited:
Event if a high storage density capacitor magically appeared, there are many engineering challenges remaining.

The idea that you could instantly charge a capacitor is wrong. The high currents involved would create magnetic fields that would tear apart the cables and capacitor. Even the electric fields in such a capacitor will result in major mechanical stress.

Another issue is using the power from a capacitor. Unlike a battery, with a fairly flat discharge voltage curve, a capacitor's voltage will decrease steadily as it is discharged. Not only will the power control circuit have to handle the wide voltage range, the current needed will dramatically increase as the voltage drops.

Even with perfect energy storage, regenerative braking is not going to be efficient or effective. Getting a 40% energy return is optimistic, and you just can't get reasonable braking performance. You'll still need a full size braking system. About the only thing that can be saved is using solid rotors instead of vented -- under 10 lbs and $20 for all wheels.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
I understand the concept. For current regenerative braking systems, the point of generating power with the motor isn't to slow down the car, but to load up the motor (now generator) to regain some of the energy that would have been lost by the brakes as heat to the enviroment.

To work, IMO, the regenerative charging system would need to incorporate a variable resistance mechanism to load up the motor (now generator) enough to decelerate the car at a variable rate. This would generate a lot of heat in the load bank, and also the motor (now generator.) I'm not sure how they would get around using a conventional braking system. Hmmm what're your thoughts?

I don't know enough to know whether four smaller motors would effect efficiency. It seems to me that removing the drivetrain losses would counter any loss in motor efficiency.

How do current electric vehicles transmit power from the motor to the wheels? Is there a variable speed tranny or is it directly driven by the motor?

It is my understanding that the Toyota Prius (not the third generation) has regenerative braking that supplements the existing brakes to the point where I read that the existing brakes could very well last the life of the car. I imagine that with a large electric engine, it would be possible to get more of the same effect to the point where you would not need actual brakes anymore. It might be the case that you would still need actual brakes, but not having them there anymore seems like a possibility in an actual electric car given the performance Toyota is getting out of their regenerative braking system.

Originally Posted By: djb

Event if a high storage density capacitor magically appeared, there are many engineering challenges remaining.

The idea that you could instantly charge a capacitor is wrong. The high currents involved would create magnetic fields that would tear apart the cables and capacitor. Even the electric fields in such a capacitor will result in major mechanical stress.

Another issue is using the power from a capacitor. Unlike a battery, with a fairly flat discharge voltage curve, a capacitor's voltage will decrease steadily as it is discharged. Not only will the power control circuit have to handle the wide voltage range, the current needed will dramatically increase as the voltage drops.

Even with perfect energy storage, regenerative braking is not going to be efficient or effective. Getting a 40% energy return is optimistic, and you just can't get reasonable braking performance. You'll still need a full size braking system. About the only thing that can be saved is using solid rotors instead of vented -- under 10 lbs and $20 for all wheels.

Rapid charging is a property of capacitors. The magnetic fields involved could be an limiting factor, however, I know for a fact that very high voltages are used in power lines and the fields are not tearing them apart. I know that the power lines use AC instead of DC and using AC to charge the car would have its own set of challenges, but the main reason AC is used instead of DC for long range power transmission is one of efficiency rather than one of magnetic fields.

Also, Telsa claims that they get 80% of the energy back from regenerative braking. Toyota is also getting good enough performance out of regenerative braking that the pads are barely being used. I do not think that the efficiency for Toyota's implementation is anywhere near 40%.

To sort this out, what we need is an electrical engineer or at least guys that are very knowledgable about electrical and electronic systems. I'm thinking we have mostly mechanical knowledge on here. I have a limited knowledge and understanding of electrical systems. I still don't know why electric cars can't be powered off the grid some how since power lines are ran along roads anyway.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
To sort this out, what we need is an electrical engineer or at least guys that are very knowledgable about electrical and electronic systems. I'm thinking we have mostly mechanical knowledge on here. I have a limited knowledge and understanding of electrical systems. I still don't know why electric cars can't be powered off the grid some how since power lines are ran along roads anyway.

They can be powered off the grid. It is just that the grid would need upgrades to accommodate the extra load. These would be the same upgrades whose cost have been included in the cost of electricity since electrical service first became available. The main issues are building more capacity (i.e. nuclear power plants) and replacing existing wires with thicker ones (i.e. make the insulators thicker) to minimize the losses higher power currents incur.

Anyway, I am a computer science major, so I might be a bit more familiar with the subject, but I agree, an electrical engineer would probably be good here. We could probably use a physicist as well, to peer-review the guy's paper.

I know for a fact that very high voltages are used in power lines and the fields are not tearing them apart.

That's because the amount of current going through those power lines is not very high. Voltage times current equals wattage(power). The more current flows, the more voltage drop there is. So for long distance power transmission, the voltage is stepped way up so the same amount of power can be transferred with less voltage drop.

The strength of a magnetic field surrounding a conductor is proportional to the amount of current flowing through it. That's how your clamp-on ammeter works--it measures the magnetic field.

It is very possible for the extreme amount of current involved in a short circuit to create magnetic fields so strong it will bend bus bars in power distribution equipment, or so say the electricians I've talked to.

I've also heard of short circuits causing wires to rattle in metallic conduit.

Also, where are you going to get the instantaneous power required to charge a large capacitor from? Even these small capacitors used in car audio have to be initially charged through a resistor to keep them from blowing fuses.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx

They can be powered off the grid. It is just that the grid would need upgrades to accommodate the extra load. These would be the same upgrades whose cost have been included in the cost of electricity since electrical service first became available. The main issues are building more capacity (i.e. nuclear power plants) and replacing existing wires with thicker ones (i.e. make the insulators thicker) to minimize the losses higher power currents incur.

Well powering the vehicles directly would circumvent the whole electrical storage limitation issues and the added weight it creates. Either way the gird would have to be update if many electrical vehicles were in operation.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
I know for a fact that very high voltages are used in power lines and the fields are not tearing them apart.

That's because the amount of current going through those power lines is not very high. Voltage times current equals wattage(power). The more current flows, the more voltage drop there is. So for long distance power transmission, the voltage is stepped way up so the same amount of power can be transferred with less voltage drop.

The strength of a magnetic field surrounding a conductor is proportional to the amount of current flowing through it. That's how your clamp-on ammeter works--it measures the magnetic field.

It is very possible for the extreme amount of current involved in a short circuit to create magnetic fields so strong it will bend bus bars in power distribution equipment, or so say the electricians I've talked to.

I've also heard of short circuits causing wires to rattle in metallic conduit.

You can have either a high current or a high voltage to charge a capacitor. Just go with a high voltage and then you are fine. :/

Originally Posted By: brianl703
Also, where are you going to get the instantaneous power required to charge a large capacitor from? Even these small capacitors used in car audio have to be initially charged through a resistor to keep them from blowing fuses.

Well, I am only speculating so I do not have to worry about that, although I believe that obvious answer would be to have an even larger capacitor to act as a buffer to deliver large instantaneous bursts of power. I believe that is usually how things are done in applications that need that sort of thing, especially if lead acid batteries cannot suffice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back