Why are car batteries in 2023 so terrible?

Interesting point I had not considered.

I wonder if setting the battery on a makeshift bed of coil or leaf springs, would be good for the battery longevity, especially for off road vehicles?

For instance, a dozen springs from old oil filters cut open, affixed and sandwiched to thin boards, sandwiched under the battery?
I'm not sure, good question. On one hand it would let the battery bounce around more, but on the other hand it might help absorb some of the shock. I could see securely mounting it to springs being a challenging problem to solve though. Making sure the springs are soft enough to compress when hitting bumps but still stiff enough that they will never bottom out and cause the battery to slam down would be a challenge too.

If you get a good AGM battery, I don't think you should have to worry about vibration too much. Since the plates are jammed between fiberglass mats, they aren't prone to rattling apart like they are in flooded batteries.

I'm not sure, good question. On one hand it would let the battery bounce around more, but on the other hand it might help absorb some of the shock. I could see securely mounting it to springs being a challenging problem to solve though. Making sure the springs are soft enough to compress when hitting bumps but still stiff enough that they will never bottom out and cause the battery to slam down would be a challenge too.

If you get a good AGM battery, I don't think you should have to worry about vibration too much. Since the plates are jammed between fiberglass mats, they aren't prone to rattling apart like they are in flooded batteries.
Maybe even just a thick piece of foam, like scrap memory foam? Using straps to hold it in place of course.

A number of things to be aware of with late model vehicles and batteries. Use AGM replacements whenever possible. Huge difference in longevity with the parasitic draw of late model vehicles. Extra cost is easily offset by their longevity and convenance (reduced failure). Don't skimp on the cheaper non-AGM, even if they fit you won't be rewarded.

Always be sure to commission the new battery correctly before installation. Read-up on "how to" before you purchase your replacement and be sure to comply. Procedure may vary for different brands. Don't expect this to be done correctly if someone else is installing the battery at a retailer/service center. The usual caveats apply!
I plan on buying a new AGM battery for my Mazda CX 5 very soon. I did a search on how to "commission" a new car battery but didn't find anything useful.

I do have a Harbpr Freight battery charger that has settings for both lead acid and AGM batteries and settings to do a jump start, quick charge and trickle charge. Is this device something that can be used to commission the battery before I install it, and what is the procedure ?

Thanks from those of us that are unfamiliar with how to do that and want to make sure that we get maximum life from what today are very expensive batteries.

I haven't noticed them being more terrible than years prior, but I think the same rules apply like always:

1. Buy one with a good warranty from a place you can easily return it
2. Buy one from a retailer with high traffic so you get one that hasn't sat on the shelf too long
3. Buy the right size for your car, not undersized to save a few bucks
4. Trickle charge it if the car will be sitting for months

I helped my sister replace the battery on her Acura 3.2TL a few months ago, and of course Autozone tried to sell her a battery that was a year old with an inch of dust on it. Probably was just not a popular size.

Walmart for the win. Died at exactly 36 months, full replacement under the warranty. Next month it would be prorated.
What is the consensus here about which brand/model car battery is likely to last the longest - Ex: 100 Months (8.3 years) would be ideal.

It's no secret that flooded lead acid batteries don't like getting vibrated and beat up like they do from hitting potholes all the time.

I've seen lots of vehicles where the battery hold down was never put back. I guess the sort of person who replaces a battery and doesn't bother to bolt it back down is the same sort of person who adds air to tires and doesn't bother to put the valve stem caps back.

Probably isn't real good for a battery to be installed without the hold down.

I am not sure origin matters. It is more about manufacturers specifications and QC. I highly doubt same battery is in BMW dealership and Wal Mart.
I guess it would depend if Varta is making the battery to the specs the OEM requests, or if they are all standardized.

Many years ago, I worked for Duracell batteries. We private labeled for many retailers: drug stores, hardware chains, and of course, Costco. We asked at sales meetings and during plant tours if there was any difference in the batteries we produced under private label and the production managers and even the R&D guys said they were all exactly the same. The designs at the time were optimized to such a degree that they hesitated to make tweaks with less chemicals or other changes to lower the performance, as there were concerns with unintended consequences that could cause leaking or some other problems. They said that such changes would also actually increase production costs to make special production lots for specific retailers. The only difference was the jacket material wrapped on the outside, and of course the blister card they are sealed in.

I plan on buying a new AGM battery for my Mazda CX 5 very soon. I did a search on how to "commission" a new car battery but didn't find anything useful.

I do have a Harbpr Freight battery charger that has settings for both lead acid and AGM batteries and settings to do a jump start, quick charge and trickle charge. Is this device something that can be used to commission the battery before I install it, and what is the procedure ?

Thanks from those of us that are unfamiliar with how to do that and want to make sure that we get maximum life from what today are very expensive batteries.
For a newly installed battery, it is ideal for it to start its life in a fully charged state. The issue is it self discharges sitting on a shelf, and we don't know if it sat: for a few days, weeks or months? The best charging profile is "low and slow", so put it on the lowest maintenance setting...usually a couple amps. For a new battery, it will likely only take an hour to maybe four hours tops to reach full charge. If it is very low on charge, it might take overnight, but doubtful that would be the case.

Last edited:
What is the consensus here about which brand/model car battery is likely to last the longest - Ex: 100 Months (8.3 years) would be ideal.
Well, in my case, a battery with a 36 month warranty is better when it dies at the end of that warranty, and is replaced with another 3 year battery. I can theoretically get 6+ years out of these for the price of 1.

I've never as an adult had a car battery last more than say 5 years. Generally closer to 4. When 4 hits (or a day after whatever the warranty is), you're on the hook for the entire replacement.

Whenever I buy a new battery (cheap, or expensive) I put it on my battery maintainer until the green light comes on. I have a Viking branded China HF 4 amp with several settings. It has worked very well for bulk, float, etc charging.

I also bought a motopower 1A as recommended from a member on BITOG.

I have several seasonal vehicles and here in northern Maine they only get used 6 months a year. I rotate the chargers on the batteries and have yet to have one die before 6 year old. 9 years it the longest.

DD vehicles start in -35F many times a winter.

I find in the UK climate that batteries normally last over 10 years without issue. I would advise anyone buying a battery to fully charge then test it to make sure it hasn’t been damaged in storage. Then it’s a case of if it ever goes flat for some reason make sure it’s fully recharged. This should stop it needing replacing prematurely.

I have a 12 year old Nissan Micra I look after that’s still got it’s original battery.

Vehicles today have a lot of modules and consume a lot of power. Short tripping the car will not prolong battery life.

"Good quality battery" is difficult to determine. IMO dealer batteries, although most expensive, seem to be of the best quality.
bmw battery 11 years! last year i replaced it with new one from bmw again. costs around 70 euros more but worths it.the reason i chose bmw battery again is that more and more i hear opinions like this about after markets..most people i europe who own bimmers they buy aftermarket Banner one of the makers of bmw batteries but these last around 5-6 years i heard.

Very few people have reported whether they have a maintenance free battery or one with easily opening caps. You might think that the batteries requiring maintenance are disappearing but Walmart still carries them. My two 6 year old batteries require topping up with distilled water once per year. I haven't seen any data on whether or not they last longer.

Last edited:
The variable voltage charging system (VVCS) Nissan and other makes use probably doesn't help battery longevity.

I know in the case of my 2022 Nissan Frontier, during acceleration and steady cruising, alternator output is cut to save fuel.

Couple this with the small, light, low CCA batteries manufacturers use to save cost and the fact today's vehicles are electrical hogs is a recipe for a short lived battery.

FWIW, I unplugged the VVCS on my truck.

The start stop is hard on batteries. Let’s see run on battery only every stop light for mins. That’s a drain that likely won’t be recovered well on the next small drive.

Then yes tons of modules. USB charging ports some stay alive for quite some time after vehicle is off as well

They use the generator as little as possible because the heavier the amps the harder the load on the engine and that’s loss of precious MPG to the CAFE obeying OEs.

Very few people have reported whether they have a maintenance free battery or one with easily opening caps.

Most batteries that are not "deep cycle" are "maintenance free", whether or not they have removeable caps.

What makes a battery "maintenance free" is the use of lead/calcium plates. Such batteries can be and are made with removeable caps.

Most batteries that are not "deep cycle" are "maintenance free", whether or not they have removeable caps.

What makes a battery "maintenance free" is the use of lead/calcium plates. Such batteries can be and are made with removeable caps.
Why would they have removable caps? Easy to check. Once the fluid level is below the plates, they will shortly be toast. Does the fluid move down? In my experience, yes. Here’s one with removable caps.

EAE0DB89-A91E-477D-B2E5-388272FB68ED.png

Last edited:
Why would they have removable caps? Easy to check. Once the fluid level is below the plates, they will shortly be toast. Does the fluid move down? In my experience, yes. Here’s one with removable caps.

Even a "maintenance free" battery with lead/calcium plates will lose some water, but it's not nearly as much as "deep cycle" batteries with lead/antimony plates.

The only "maintenance free" batteries that don't (normally) lose water are AGM batteries...and even then, if you overcharge one in a quiet room, you'll hear faint popping noises as the valves (which allow the cells to vent) release gas...which means that AGM battery is losing water.

Even a "maintenance free" battery with lead/calcium plates will lose some water, but it's not nearly as much as "deep cycle" batteries with lead/antimony plates.

The only "maintenance free" batteries that don't (normally) lose water are AGM batteries...and even then, if you overcharge one in a quiet room, you'll hear faint popping noises as the valves (which allow the cells to vent) release gas...which means that AGM battery is losing water.
I agree, but if you purchase the battery above with those removable caps, you can choose not to ever remove them, but they are designed to be able to add water. If a person choses not to, I’d recommend taking a peek to see if the water is going below the plates. If someone still doesn’t want to look, then then they shouldn’t be surprised when the battery fails early, which is the subject of this thread.

I have a maintenance free battery in one of my vehicles, so I’ll see how long it lasts. Yes, it’s designed not to add water, and that’s fine by me as long as it makes it six years like my other two EverStarts with removable caps.

Last edited:
Back