Subaru - Don't use 6th gear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Originally Posted By: john_pifer
DPFs are still being used? I had a buddy buy a new 2008 Ford F-250 diesel back in 2008 and the DPF "regeneration" cycle that it had to go through, raising idle RPM to burn off soot, absolutely destroyed any fuel economy advantage it had over a gas engine. He considered removing the DPF, but that could have been cause for a warranty claim denial, so he ended up selling it.

I think all the new diesels sold in the USA have the catalyst system using the urea fluid that you have to add every several thousand miles. Doesn't affect fuel economy.

2 different things.

Yes DPFs are still in use and Urea does nothing for Soot. Urea lowers NOx, that the dpf does nothing for.

that dpf setup in the F-250 must be very poor. My car idles the same wether or not a regen is taking place, and it takes half a quart of fuel to regen, every 600 miles on average.

My 14 PUG 1.6 90 will kick fans to full, that's how I know that the regen is taking place. That and a distinct unburned diesel smell. I'm a no smoker, friends that are do not smell anything.

As the oil gets longer in the OCI Regen occurs more frequent.

My Vectra will Regen more intrusive. If it happens in town it will smoke and smell is strong. If on motorway, nothing unusual except higher consumption for a few minutes.

if the vectra smokes during a regen, the catalyst is on it's way out which means the dpf will die soon.

Mine will also increase the electric consumption by runing the fans on full speed, but I can't hear that unless inside a building or the windows down.

Yeah, I notice it when I shut the engine down. It will run the fans at Max far longer than usual.

Vec is at 190K, it could be dpf/cat is getting weaker.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

yep and toyota says 1 quart every 600 miles... [/quote]

My understanding is that Toyota will okay warranty work if the engine is going through more than one quart of oil every 1200 miles. Where did you get 600 miles? [/quote]

The Owner's Manual for my Matrix says 600 miles.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Doesn't Subaru state that one quart of oil consumption every 1500 miles is acceptable? I know I would have a hard time with that, especially on a newer vehicle.

Yes, they tried to get away with that for a long time. They have subsequently throttled back that position and now will sometimes give a new short block to cars with that problem.

I believe the recommended speed of 140 kmh is a tad high.
lol.gif

Quote:
If the accumulation of the soot drops away due to to a change in driving technique, (normally a vehicle speed greater then 70kmh for 20 mins), then the "DPF" Diesel Particulate Light will extinguish.

Some helpful advice:
https://www.alldrivesubaroo.com.au/subapedia/subaru-diesel-particulate-filter/#

http://autoexpert.com.au/buying-a-car/subaru-forester-diesel-dpf-operation-issue

Haven't seen it, but here's a video from MRT:

https://youtu.be/HpaQEAUZGE8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back