How long will your current oil stash last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 2 1/2 years for the Outback. I've told my wife to remind me that I don't need any more for now, if I start putting motor oil in the shopping cart. Not until 1 or 2 are used.

I have 1 oil change on hand for the Alero. I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to keep it, so I don't want to find myself with any extra on hand.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
1 oil change. Never understood the oil hoarding folks.

For me, it's a matter of never wanting to pay full price for motor oil, when I know that $12 - $15 for 5 quarts of a leading full synthetic is a fair price. Do I need 2 1/2 years worth? No. Both Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Platinum have rebates frequently enough that I could probably keep only 1 or 2 oil changes on the shelf, and always get it at a fair price. But it's no big deal to put a few jugs on the shelf.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Originally Posted By: car51
Probably 2+ years

+1
smile.gif

+2
It was impossible to pass up Delo 15w30 at 3.06 a gallon at O'Reilley when it's over 100. for 3 gallons on Amazon.

Last edited:
I have probably five years of oil in the garage at current rates of use.
That is more than sufficient.
I'll add that most of my stash was dirt cheap and some even FAR, so I don't have all that much cash sitting in it. My average cost is probably about a third of shelf rollback pricing.
I also used to think that I'd never find oil so cheaply again, but deals reliably appear every few months.
There have been years when deals of any kind have been few and far between, but they always return at some point, probably when retailer and blender inventories reach too high a level. Better to lower prices and entice users to carry some of that inventory.
Why, you could even offer MIRs, secure in the knowledge that redemption rates are low enough that they cost the offeror almost nothing.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins

For me, it's a matter of never wanting to pay full price for motor oil, when I know that $12 - $15 for 5 quarts of a leading full synthetic is a fair price. Do I need 2 1/2 years worth? No. Both Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Platinum have rebates frequently enough that I could probably keep only 1 or 2 oil changes on the shelf, and always get it at a fair price. But it's no big deal to put a few jugs on the shelf.

That's a fair point. I did buy 2 extra Pennzoil jugs due to the $2qt rebate. I just don't see the point in having years worth of oil. I may take advantage of some more Pennzoil and perhaps Mobil1, with their $12 rebate, but no need for multiple years worth, IMO.

Originally Posted By: car51
Probably 2+ years

Is that just for personal use or does that take into account changing oil for other people if they don't supply their own?

One and a half years stash for me, oil and filters. My motivation to buy ahead of time is good sales. A few years ago when the Canadian dollar was near par with the U.S. dollar, I went across the border and stocked up with enough Mobil 1 and filters for 5 changes, the U.S. prices were much better than up here. I declared it at the border, and they just waved me through. Sale prices up here now are roughly comparable to regular U.S. prices (with currency exchange), last time I checked.

Originally Posted By: carviewsonic
I went across the border and stocked up with enough Mobil 1 and filters for 5 changes, the U.S. prices were much better than up here. I declared it at the border, and they just waved me through.

I was in Japan and I purchased stuff for my motorcycle, you know helmets, gloves, etc as it was much cheaper in Japan. I too declared it coming back to Oz, and just like you they waved me through. I don't think people like you and me are on their radar.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Originally Posted By: carviewsonic
I went across the border and stocked up with enough Mobil 1 and filters for 5 changes, the U.S. prices were much better than up here. I declared it at the border, and they just waved me through.

I was in Japan and I purchased stuff for my motorcycle, you know helmets, gloves, etc as it was much cheaper in Japan. I too declared it coming back to Oz, and just like you they waved me through. I don't think people like you and me are on their radar.

That's good... I definately don't want to be on their radar!
laugh.gif

Got one oil change worth for the S10, Expedition, and GTI. I'll generally stock up during Autozone's sale once a year, just enough for the years worth. I know it's petty, but I'd rather keep the stock fresh. They all get one change a year since most rarely go over 5-6K in that time. Just used the last free oil change for the Camry, so I guess I'll have to find some 0w20 on sale this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back