I think I used the wrong lube for caliper pin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed out the front brakes on Mercedes GL450 a few days ago and put in Wearever Platinum pads. There was a pack of lube in that came with the brake pads and I used it on each of the contact points of the pads and without thinking I put some on the sliding pins as well. The grease is kind of a golden brown color and I am not sure if it is silicone or not.

I heard that using regular grease may swell the rubber around the sliding pin causing it to not move freely. Am I screwed or do you think I will be okay? Do I need o go back in and clean out the grease or is it too late ? Thanks

When I replaced brake pads (front and rear) about three months ago, the instructions said to use the provided grease (in a small packet) on BOTH the sliding pins and contact points. The grease that came with my pads was dark grey color.

I have the Wearever Platinum pads on both cars and I used it on the ears and pins as well. No problems. The Malibu has a few thousand easy on those pads.

Edit - checked my logs its 7000 miles. That car sees some heavy highway action.

Last edited:
From my experience... Change it out.

I would get new pins without the rubber isolators, too, but thats just me. I've only ever had problems with the pins that have them and I'm tired of them sticking due using the wrong grease.

Of course, now, I just use syl-glide on everything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back