New Turbocharged ' Honda CRV; best oil and filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll soon have a '17 Honda CRV..Turbocharged 1.5 Liter engine. 0-20w is recommended. My mechanic allows to me purchase oil and filters so I have my choice. Is there any particular synthetic that seems to work better in these engines? Or a reason to use Honda filters? I've used NAPA gold filters in the past.

Thanks in advance
John

If you're planning to replace the filter at every oil change, NAPA Gold seems a good choice. If you are going to follow Honda's schedule and replace the filter at every other oil change, make sure the filter is up to the extended interval. Honda filters would be a good choice in this case as would Fram Ultras.

Also, be aware there is some anecdotal information here and on one of the Civic forums that the 1.5 engine is prone to a considerable degree (>5%) of fuel dilution of engine oil. So you may want to watch your dipstick for evidence of an increasing crankcase level and perhaps send a used sample to a lab for evaluation to see if your example does the same. If so, a more frequent oil changes may be in order.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
PENNZOIL plantinum 0w20. Meets Honda HT06.

really? thought HTO-06 spec was exclusive to 5/30.

In MN. likely you'll dilute IMO especially in the cold months, consider upgrading to 5/30 or 0/40.

Originally Posted By: dblshock

In MN. likely you'll dilute IMO especially in the cold months, consider upgrading to 5/30 or 0/40.

Maybe I expect too much, but If I was buying a new car and had to increase the oil viscosity by one or two SAE viscosity ranges over the manufacturer's recommendation due to anticipated fuel dilution I don't think I'd buy that new car.

Last edited:
Napa Gold filters are awesome, so keep using them
smile.gif

As for the oil, use the cheapest full synthetic 0w20 on sale.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Buy the oem filters from the Honda dealership. Warranty.

You don't necessarily need to use an OEM oil filter for warranty purposes. Honda has the lowest within warranty engine failure rate in
the auto industry. The chance of you needing an engine replacement under warranty is small.

Originally Posted By: dblshock

It's going to 0W-20 as well...

Quote:

If you have this issue, have you had it back to Honda service yet?

I always go OEM filters for at least the first several oil changes because, if there is an engine issue, there is one less thing to blame it on. Just common since to me. Pennzoil 0w20 doesn't meet the Honda turbo spec HTO-06 but, I'm not sure that is important. Just use a brand name 0w20 oil that meets the Honda requirement. Ed

Congrats, The 2017 CR-V is nice. I am surprised how many 2016 models are still on dealer lots. My wife's friend just bought a 2016 in Central Texas.

Just avoiding a warranty issue for the op. I let the dealer do my oil changes. You can provide your own oil to the dealer for the change. A used car with dealer records is worth more than a used car with diy records to some. Best to keep the 5 year 60,000 powertrain warranty intact. The engine won't fail but the transmission may fail. Jmo

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I always go OEM filters for at least the first several oil changes because, if there is an engine issue, there is one less thing to blame it on. Just common since to me. Pennzoil 0w20 doesn't meet the Honda turbo spec HTO-06 but, I'm not sure that is important. Just use a brand name 0w20 oil that meets the Honda requirement. Ed

Yes it does. I have a 5 quart jug with the spec on the back. You can reference a recent post of mine with pictures included.

Awesome car, bought my wife one,2017 CRV EX-L....average in town is 32mpg on Econ.I've been told Mobil advanced fuel economy with Mobil extended filter and go by oil life monitor..Love Honda reliability

I would absolutely let the dealer perform the first few changes. I would personally have it changed early and make sure they use the correct oil. If they will let you provide the oil at a slight discount that would be great.

I would use Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 because the NOACK would probably be lower that that of other synthetic oils, due to the GTL base. Many turbocharged GDI engines from VW appear to have lower intake deposits due to using a lower NOACK oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back