Question about SHELL ROTELLA T4 15W 40 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1971 Ford Bronco with the original 302 in it. It has about 100,000 miles on it. Yes original miles. Runs super strong, no smoke or knocking. The manual calls for 10w 40 for the oil weight. I was looking at the SHELL ROTELLA T4 15W 40. Would this be a good oil to run? I read that it has a higher zinc content and that should help a flat tappet motor.

Thanks

Welcome 71Bronco !!

I would think Rotella 15W40 is a much better oil than many of those old 10W40 oils.

My only question is, does a 15W oil give you enough cold starting ability in your winters? I'm sure some more local people can help out here.

I would not use a 15w in your winters.
10-40 is all you need and your engine will be just fine.
Go by what your manual says and don't try to outthink the factory.

Thanks for the replies.

I live in Oklahoma and right now the weather is in the 50s. Summers will be around 90 plus. Agree, that the oil today is way better than the oil in the 70s. Is there much of a difference between 10W vs 15W? I think my biggest concern was running a diesel oil in a gas motor. I just have heard that it can be better on the older motors? I would love to use AMSOIL. I know the motor would love it but I dont think the gaskets would be to happy.

Um....10w40 is an antique spec. Any modern 15w40 is going to be way better for your engine than trying to find 10w40. If you are at all concerned or the cold is getting to the starter, go with a 5w40.

I would use T4 15W40 in the summer, switch to Rotella T5 semi-synthetic 10W30 (with it's similar add pack) in the winter. I personally switch back & forth in my 6.2, it can be pretty hard to get started (unplugged) below 5F with 15W40 or straight 30. They're both dual rated for gas & diesel, and are FAR superior to any oil available in 1970 or '71. Good news, too, the T5 has a $5/gallon rebate available, making it as cheap or cheaper than T4.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zaffo757
Um....10w40 is an antique spec. Any modern 15w40 is going to be way better for your engine than trying to find 10w40. If you are at all concerned or the cold is getting to the starter, go with a 5w40.

Um... If they meet SN how is that an antique spec?

T4 or T6 will be fine. If the battery an cables are in good shape and the grounds clean, it'll spin right over and light fine. The oil pressure will be right there in an instant. both are better oils than what was on the shelf back in '71. You are on the right track
smile.gif

Off road low range slow crawl is really hard on engines with a lot of heat soak. The radiators usually are fine, but ... So they spec 40 just in case. It's a truck engine in a truck chassis, just short
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: 71Bronco
I have a 1971 Ford Bronco with the original 302 in it. It has about 100,000 miles on it. Yes original miles. Runs super strong, no smoke or knocking. The manual calls for 10w 40 for the oil weight. I was looking at the SHELL ROTELLA T4 15W 40. Would this be a good oil to run? I read that it has a higher zinc content and that should help a flat tappet motor.

Thanks

Excellent choice, especially if you off-road and lug the engine.

I would use it with confidence. It is a solid oil with a strong add pack and a high TBN. Heck, I used it in my Equinox before without issue.

Any 15w40 would be fine.
15w is good down to 20 degrees F. For off road HD like dozers or backhoes, Cat had a cold cutoff of 15 for 15w40's.
Rotella is good, I like the Delo add pack a bit better.
Any of the 4 major HDEO would be fine.
You could have everyone in this thread happy with Rotella 10w40 T5.

Awesome! Thanks so much for all the great info. I have been running the Rotella 15W 40 for the last 400 miles and seems to run great! Last night it got down to 32 and started with no problems. Thanks again!!

Originally Posted By: 71Bronco

Thanks

We would certainly recommend Rotella T4 Triple Protection 15W-40. You're right, it contains 1200 ppm of zinc and provides anti-wear protection for gasoline engines with flat-tappet (solid) lifters. Hope this helps! - The Shell Rotella Team

Thank you so much for all the great info!! Glad to know I have a good oil for my old motor!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back