Motul 4100 Power 15W50

I believe the Motul 4100 is a synthetic. All of these oils have a healthy amount of ZDDP and detergents and a good TBN. The T5 and T6 aren't as shear-stable as the T4, and so they tend to thin out over time in some engines. For this reason I would probably stick with the 15W40 in your climate. This grade has a higher minimum spec for HTHS as well.

The Rotella line doesn't have the MB 229.1 approval, but I doubt that meeting that old standard is important. Here is the comparison of the MB 229.1 spec with a few of the more modern standards that the Rotella T4 15W40 meets. The Rotella line certainly has a more impressive list of approvals than the Motul.

View attachment 149086

View attachment 149089

Thanks for the info.
It is semi synthetic...

I believe the Motul 4100 is a synthetic. All of these oils have a healthy amount of ZDDP and detergents and a good TBN. The T5 and T6 aren't as shear-stable as the T4, and so they tend to thin out over time in some engines. For this reason I would probably stick with the 15W40 in your climate. This grade has a higher minimum spec for HTHS as well.

The Rotella line doesn't have the MB 229.1 approval, but I doubt that meeting that old standard is important. Here is the comparison of the MB 229.1 spec with a few of the more modern standards that the Rotella T4 15W40 meets. The Rotella line certainly has a more impressive list of approvals than the Motul.

View attachment 149086

View attachment 149089

Thanks again, not sure how to interpret this report...
229.1 is an old standard probably goes back to API SF or even before....

Yeah like I added to my post, the ACEA Sequence it is based on has been gone for nearly 20 years. But more modern Mercedes-Benz approvals are very much appropriate for this vehicle.

Except, that I keep hearing thicker oil is better for these types of engines. + the recent MB approvals are based on API SM/SN which has low ZDDP .. which I am staying away from. They might be ok for newer Mercedes but not for 30+ years.

Except, that I keep hearing thicker oil is better for these types of engines. + the recent MB approvals are based on API SM/SN which has low ZDDP .. which I am staying away from. They might be ok for newer Mercedes but not for 30+ years.
No Mercedes-Benz approval is based on an API license. Wherever you heard that is incorrect.

ZDDP requirements do not increase with age. If your engine is not burning copious amounts of oil then one based on ACEA A3/B4 is a good choice. These oils often carry demanding approvals such as Porsche A40 or Mercedes-Benz 229.5, and are widely available and relatively inexpensive at Walmart. They all have a minimum HT/HS of 3.5 with excellent wear control and oxidation resistance.

I wouldn’t go chasing the Motul unicorn. There really is no reason to do so, especially in this situation.

No Mercedes-Benz approval is based on an API license. Wherever you heard that is incorrect.

ZDDP requirements do not increase with age. If your engine is not burning copious amounts of oil then one based on ACEA A3/B4 is a good choice. These oils often carry demanding approvals such as Porsche A40 or Mercedes-Benz 229.5, and are widely available and relatively inexpensive at Walmart.

The new approvals are designed for newer engines. As you know flat tappet engines require higher ZDDP preferably over 1100ppm..

edit:

so in my hunt for good oil (relative to my car) , good zddp and phosphorous, not fully synthetic. Not many options..
Diesel oils, and few others like Motul....

View attachment 149086

View attachment 149089
FWIW, the Lubrizol tool, as it notes there, isn't meant to compare specs outside their stack, so you could compare 229.1 to 229.5 or 229.51 but not to LL-01, or 505 00...etc.

The new approvals are designed for newer engines. As you know flat tappet engines require higher ZDDP preferably over 1100ppm..
Full-SAPS is full SAPS, it doesn't matter if the approval is "current" (229.5, LL-01, 505 00, A40...etc) or antique. I think you are thinking of the mid and low-SAPS oils (C3 for example) which have reduced levels of phosphorous. The API requirement levels are even lower for grades that aren't xW-40 or xW-50 as phosphorous is capped at 800ppm for the RC grades.

Anything with a sliding follower or flat lifter is going to be fine on the full-SAPS levels of phosphorous. This includes many engines that have spec'd these oils like BMW's S62, which has sliding (flat) followers and I'm sure has much higher spring pressures the M116.

edit:

so in my hunt for good oil (relative to my car) , good zddp and phosphorous, not fully synthetic. Not many options..
Diesel oils, and few others like Motul....
Any of the ACEA A3/B4 oils at Walmart that have Porsche A40 approval will have more than sufficient ZDDP for your engine.

I've used the 4100 Power 15W-50 in my 75 Ford Capri,

It's a synthetic blend, not full synthetic, no problems starting in slightly below freezing temps, in fact i quite liked the way the engine "felt" overall with it, it's not very expensive either at least here in Spain ( about half the price of Valvoline VR1 20w50 for example ).

Yes the specifications are a bit old but i would absolutely use it again.

I'd use Mobil1 15w50... at least its full synthetic and not a blend. I've run it during Maine/NH winters in my OHC engines, parked overnight outside, and never had a starting or issue. Grade fear is overhyped.

https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/products/4100-power-15w50

If on a budget, and don't need the expense of either synthetic oil, then T5 it:

I'd use Mobil1 15w50... at least its full synthetic and not a blend. I've run it during Maine/NH winters in my OHC engines, parked overnight outside, and never had a starting or issue. Grade fear is overhyped.

https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/products/4100-power-15w50

If on a budget, and don't need the expense of either synthetic oil, then T5 it:
I will never get tired of saying i wish Mobil sold the 15w50 here in Europe, although they do sell a 10W60 here that they don't sell in the US, but it's wayyy overpriced.

Back