2012 SantaFe 6K on ? 5W20? 66K on eng

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a 2012 Santa Fe as a replacement for the wife's Caliber. When she test drove it, she got out, pulled me to the side and said "I must have this!" She had driven a CRV, a RAV4 and a Crosstrek but this just punched all the right buttons for her. Happy wife = happy life.
It has a rattle on startup which I think Kia has a campaign on. I'm going to record it and see what Hyundai thinks.
I refilled with Mobil 1 5W20 and a Hyundai filter.

I just bought a 2017 Elantra and two things are helping me get up to speed. This forum:

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/

Also registering at MyHyundai:

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/myhyundai/Home/Index

They do post recalls there and at hyundai-forums.com. There are Hyundai Tech posts so you can get a lot of model specific mechanical details at hyundai-forums.com.

I had a brake booster recall on my 5th day of ownership and got it replaced a month before I received the recall letter using the above resources. Good Luck!

Nice metal wear rates.
Used oil still serviceable.
Rattle ... not considering a xW30 ?

Last edited:
Very nice report. But i thought Hyundai recommends 5w30 for this engine. Rattle on start-up may be oil filter.

Rattle on startup is likely ADBV in filter, allowing oil to drain back into the sump, likely collapsing chain tensioners. My 4.6 in my sig suffers from this, CQ Blue & other silicone ADBV filters help, but if it sits for more than a week without being driven, there is still an annoying rattle for 1/2-1 second at start. You might try Magnatec 5W20 or 5W30 with a Hyundai, Wix Gold, or even an Ultra (if it uses a spin-on filter), I bet it helps (the Magnatec makes the rattle quieter on mine).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 74DartSport
Filter is a drop in, look at Mahle OX417D. Here is the TSB.
The "after" sounds like my 4.6, the "before" sounds like the timing chain's coming out of the block. Definitely OEM on the filter, hope you don't have to pay for the updated engine parts.

Last edited:
Our KIA 3.5 (also a 12) was quieter on start up with Magnatec 5w30, by a little bit but enough to hear. They are just kinda noisy engines when cold.

Originally Posted By: 74DartSport
Filter is a drop in, look at Mahle OX417D. Here is the TSB.

This engine is known for a louder chatter on a cold start. Does not happen all the time but when it does it can be very loud and last 2-3 seconds. It sucks that Hyundai does not have this TSB for the Santa Fe models... I know this because I own a 2011 Hyundai SF Limited 3.5 V6 and we get that chatter maybe two days a week... They replaced the timing chain, etc a year ago and it did not solve the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back