Water heater anode rod inspect & replace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomioka

$104 Site Donor 2024
Decided to flush the tank and replace the anode rod in our 6 year old solar water heater since the installer gave us a maintenance schedule to perform yearly service to maintain tank and solar panel warranty. I had a spare segmented anode rod and if the original anode rod looks bad I'll replace it.

Dang the low roof.
73zBMPr.jpg

Used a portable band saw to cut the rod in half. I used a segmented anode rod to make future replacements easier.
PDJW1my.jpg

The thinnest part was at the top close to the bolt.
gfNxj8a.jpg

The middle still had plenty of life yet.
XsKT6la.jpg

Flaky mess.
afuMAiH.jpg

The bottom of the rod.
WFBtb6u.jpg

That anode had a lot of life left in it, but once it's out it doesn't make much sense not to replace it.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
That anode had a lot of life left in it, but once it's out it doesn't make much sense not to replace it.

I figured since the old one still has a lot of life I might run the new one up to ten years. Our local water isn't harsh so the anode rod should have an easy life.

I have well water and the anode rod was making the hot water stick like sulfur. I took it out about 15 years ago. I do have a water softener.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I have well water and the anode rod was making the hot water stick like sulfur. I took it out about 15 years ago. I do have a water softener.

My dad had that same issue with a new water heater in a house with well water. The solution was replacing the magnesium based anode with an aluminum based anode.

Just a question: For these "tank-less" gas hot water heaters (like Rheem), what are the "wear" items in them that would require a replacement every 5 years or so (like these anode rods in the normal tank based models)?

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
Just a question: For these "tank-less" gas hot water heaters (like Rheem), what are the "wear" items in them that would require a replacement every 5 years or so (like these anode rods in the normal tank based models)?

No wear items just annual cleanings. After 5 years, most of the time you have to start doing cleanings every 6 months. The water heater stops working effectively w/out the cleanings. It isn't really a DIY job either for the cleanings.

Keep in mind also that minerals in well water have a huge effect on it crudding up. The main consensus I got reading around plumber forums was city water ok, well water be careful and clean regularly.

Originally Posted By: Driz

Keep in mind also that minerals in well water have a huge effect on it crudding up. The main consensus I got reading around plumber forums was city water ok, well water be careful and clean regularly.
A good argument for a water softener.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back