Switching to convetional from synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a 2001 GMC Sierra with an 8.1 in it. The motor only has about 85,000 miles on it. He has always run synthetic oil in it and change it every 3000-4000 miles. I'm wondering if I could run into any issues if I start running Rotella T 15W-40 in it, instead of the synthetic oil? Thanx for any input.

+1 on switching to Rotella T6 instead
smile.gif

Are you looking to spend less ?... there are some 10w40 High Mileage oils ...

The 8.1 (496) is stout, reliable engine.

4,000 miles & drain on synthetic is far too often. I'd run a conventional in the "big block" to 5,000-6,000 easily and more if warm weather and highway miles. A 454 can usually run synthetic for 10,000 easily. There's a member here who has the same oil (I think mobil 1) in his 454 for 5 years now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: apstang50
I'm wondering if I could run into any issues if I start running Rotella T 15W-40 in it, instead of the synthetic oil? Thanx for any input.

This dual rated HDEO minerals would probably be good for (up to) 6K or more OCI..

To answer your question, no issue at all changing to conventional. Your choice of 15w40 will be just fine in summer but far too thick for a MA winter....agree with the 5w40 Rotella, and you could run that oil year round.

Enjoy the truck!

So far you have three different viscosity recommendations. Just switch to the conventional weight that your owners manual calls for. If you don't have one, they are easy to research and obtain.

There are no "conventional" ILSAC oils. The Mobil 1 is not a synthetic but a blend of largely grp _III refined petro oil.

C-j 15w-40 is the wrong stuff.

If I had that engine Id likely source a ACEA A3 oil. Motul X max 5W30 to start. Mobil 1 0w40 or Castrol 5w40 MB299.5x spec oil would be fine I sure aT A COST SAVINGS. These ACEA 40's are marginal 30's by design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back