Secondary air monitor not ready pass emissions NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2008 Jetta which had a crack in pipe for secondary air piping. It was repaired and the secondary air monitor has not reset in 200 miles with many cold starts. Will it pass emisions test. I have a Vag com and it says test is off. From what I have read if test is off it will not pass. What could be causing test not to run

I'd disconnect the battery for a while to try and force a reset.

One monitor can be "not ready" and still pass inspection. As long as it's the only one not ready, you'll be ok
smile.gif

I had a secondary air monitor that would not reset with a BMW M54 engine. I tested every component multiple times, and replaced all hoses. This engine uses a solenoid vacuum valve on the intake manifold, and the vacuum operates a valve on the exhaust manifold.

The easiest way to test the valve system is with a MityVac and a 12V source. The vacuum gauge on the MityVac lets you monitor the operation in place, and the pump lets you test them individually for valve operation and leaks. Applying 12V to the solenoid valve should open it to the intake vacuum, with no power it should vent to the atmosphere. These rarely fail on their own, but may crack. The exhaust valve shouldn't leak when closed, and the diaphragm should hold vacuum when operated. These usually fail by not closing the whole way, allowing exhaust moisture into the main air pump which rusts to failure.

In my case the whole system was working correctly, but the oxygen sensors were slow. Not slow enough to raise an error during regular engine operation, but too slow during warm-up for the ECU to be certain that the secondary air system was pumping air. Replacing both upstream and downstream oxygen sensors cleared the monitor. (The cheap oxygen sensors caused their own errors a few months later, but at least they served to diagnose this tough problem.)

Clear the codes and run VCDS through guided readiness. You can also probably find the measureing block to force a SAI test in the VCDS forum on VW vortex.

One time I failed due to a not ready because I had just before disconnected the battery. I had no idea of such things.

But that may be a different circumstance than this.

How much longer do youbhave to try to gret this to ok before you're overdue?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
One time I failed due to a not ready because I had just before disconnected the battery. I had no idea of such things.

But that may be a different circumstance than this.

How much longer do youbhave to try to gret this to ok before you're overdue?

Did you fail for one not ready or multiple not ready. Inspection is due in August so I have some time but would like to get it fixed. Car has been driven 200 miles and multiple cold starts. all reset except secondary air...

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I'd disconnect the battery for a while to try and force a reset.

Don't do that, you'll lose what you started with.

Since you have live data, OP, does the as-scanned engine temp match/reach the rated thermostat temp?

You may also need a "warm day, cold start", whatever that is to VW. Though it should be achievable in this warm spell in the northeast.

VCDS (FKA VAG COM) is pretty advanced, no need to follow third party drive cycles, you just start guided readiness mode and follow the instructions.

VCDS can also perform output test, if you are absolutely certain that there are no codes and no failed monitors, they you should be able to run the output test on the SAI and set the readiness.

How many monitors can be not ready usually depends on year model and ranges from 0 - 2.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/out_test.php

http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/readiness.php

I’ve never seen VCDS say “Test Off” for readiness though.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
VCDS (FKA VAG COM) is pretty advanced, no need to follow third party drive cycles, you just start guided readiness mode and follow the instructions.

VCDS can also perform output test, if you are absolutely certain that there are no codes and no failed monitors, they you should be able to run the output test on the SAI and set the readiness.

How many monitors can be not ready usually depends on year model and ranges from 0 - 2.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/out_test.php

http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/readiness.php

I’ve never seen VCDS say “Test Off” for readiness though.

Duckrider, when I go to block 77 it says off, when I go to readiness it says failed or incomplete. Vagcom is new and confusing to me. I am trying to get a handle on it. do you know of a good tutorial on how to manually set readiness monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back