Saw a cop nearly rear end a car the other day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man if I have ever seen a vehicle stop so fast. I think he was looking behind him at a broken down vehicle on the side of the road because he was still looking behind him when I drove by. I don't think that was even his concern since he was a game warden. Ridiculous that he couldn't see the 20 cars in front of him. Do they get in trouble when that kind of thing happens or not really? Like time off without pay or something? The dude was probably doing the speed limit so 45-50 Mph then hit the brakes that the last second.

In a lot of states game wardens, and the like, have state police powers and they may very well be taking care of things you might not consider "under their jurisdiction' if they see it. They're only human and do the best they can in their situation; cops have a lot more going on in their car than the average driver, so it would not surprise me if they get distracted once in a while. If you were having some car trouble, wouldn't you appreciate a game warden stopping to help you out if they could? Cut him some slack.

Watch 'north woods law' on your tv on demand or reruns. Its a game warden show similar to 'cops" kinda. Very good show. Lasted 2 seasons. Learn alot about game wardens and how they work. In maine, where show was, they often do 'regular' police work.

Eyes on the road at all times when moving. No exceptions for anyone. Looking at a broken down vehicle behind you is no excuse for endangering other motorists in front of you. Let the broken down individual call for private assistance, not public.

The policy of my old dept was no ticket to the officer (or civilians for that matter) if resulting in a collision, but discipline ranging from verbal to days off with pay plus it goes in your jacket. Citizen traffic complaints against officers were strictly verbal. As far as duties, game wardens are peace officers and have full law enforcement power.

I would expect crashing a car due to inattention would result in some sort of punishment.

As for law enforcement powers, I guess it would depend on the state. Alaska has Alaska Wildlife Troopers. They are essentially game wardens, but since they're often posted to remote areas with little other law enforcement, they're also tasked with general law enforcement duties. They also have Alaska State Troopers who are essentially the state police and highway patrol, but also have authority as game wardens. I guess that's unique to Alaska.

If you're talking about weird law enforcement issues, I did hear about a strange one. A California State Parks Ranger (the title only belongs to law enforcement) was seen in his patrol car with a can of Keystone Light between his legs. Someone passed by and tried waking him up, but ended up taking a photo of him. Later on he pulled off, but eventually was pulled over by a California Highway Patrol officer given a sobriety test. That must have been interesting. Apparently he was placed on administrative leave but wasn't booked for months.

https://lostcoastoutpost.com/2014/oct/31/ranger/

I was rear-ended by a police officer. I had stopped on a University Campus for a pedestrian; they have Right-Of-Way everywhere on campus but as it turned out this was also a marked crosswalk.

She was non-cooperative, would not provide her driver's license (which is the law) and tried to get me to bury it by giving a statement at the Campus Police Office. I smelled a rat and went down to the City Police and reported it there as well, as well as to her and my insurance company (same one).

Had she just complied with the law and provided her drivers' license I would have just driven off after the exchange and reported it by phone to insurance only (no injuries so no requirement to report it to Police). But she would not even talk to me ... she pulled over, asked for my drivers license, which I (obviously) supplied, and then never said another word to me. What a [censored].

Since there was no damage to my vehicle (67 Chevy Impala) I have no idea what the resolution was, but her Ford Taurus was probably totalled; extensive front end damage, leaking fluids, canted motor, that kind of thing.

Originally Posted By: ejes
In a lot of states game wardens, and the like, have state police powers and they may very well be taking care of things you might not consider "under their jurisdiction' if they see it. They're only human and do the best they can in their situation; cops have a lot more going on in their car than the average driver, so it would not surprise me if they get distracted once in a while. If you were having some car trouble, wouldn't you appreciate a game warden stopping to help you out if they could? Cut him some slack.

You're correct. The conservation officers in Indiana have the same jurisdiction as the Indiana state Police. They have statewide jurisdiction and they can initiate traffic stops and perform routine police tasks although that isn't their main function. It is not uncommon for rural Indiana folks calling 911 to get a response from a conservation officer or a State Trooper before a county officer. At least it was that way when I lived there a little over a year ago.

Last edited:
In the police world there are few things a cop can do worse than causing a car accident. Police agencies guard RMP's as if they were their own infant child. Ask any cop whose crashed one due to carelessness. Crashing a car, loosing a badge, or any other equipment, brings [censored] down upon you.

I don't mean to laugh at this one, but once it was over and nobody was hurt, it was HILARIOUS!!! I work about 35 miles north of NYC. There is a police only Hotline phone. This past new years eve, about 11pm it cracks....pursuit from Manhattan entering Yonkers; no big deal right?? Certainly not the first time that's happened.....the car being pursued was a NYPD, marked, RMP! Oh my!! The cop who let his car get taken, he/she is just done!

There human just like the rest of us and make mistakes. I appreciate law enforcement and have had many more satisfactory contacts with them than the few times things were not handled so well.

It's easy to find news stories where police cause an accident and the victim is ticketed.

Single car and at-fault auto accidents are much more common for police than the general population in the U.S. In many jurisdictions police aren't at risk of getting tickets (unless they are in a [censored] contest with overlapping jurisdictions), so they speed more often than the general population. That negates the advantage they should have by training and experience.

Roughly 1/3 of police officer deaths are due to at-fault traffic accidents, although many incidents are open to differing classifications. Driving a department-provided car while not on scheduled duty might be called a line-of-duty for insurance, but off-duty for other reporting.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
You're correct. The conservation officers in Indiana have the same jurisdiction as the Indiana state Police. They have statewide jurisdiction and they can initiate traffic stops and perform routine police tasks although that isn't their main function. It is not uncommon for rural Indiana folks calling 911 to get a response from a conservation officer or a State Trooper before a county officer. At least it was that way when I lived there a little over a year ago.

Going "off the reservation" is generally frowned upon around here. Everyone has their own little responsibilities, and infringing on someone else's turf is considered bad form, unless it's a mutual aid request. In California, local law enforcement will almost never pull someone over for speeding on the freeway since that's for the California Highway Patrol. Legal highways that aren't freeways are a different story.

I've heard of quite a bit of this. One was a pair of National Park Service law enforcement rangers who arrested someone for pot possession outside of the park boundaries. When friends showed up asking what they were doing, they got pepper sprayed. It became big news, and later the county sheriff cleared up that while they were deputized by the sheriff to enforce local and state laws, the intent was that it was only for enforcement while on NPS property.

There was a school district police department in the Sacramento area that got in trouble for "call jumping" city police and county sheriff emergency calls. They also apparently made a lot of traffic stops and vehicle tows well off school property. They apparently wanted more action, and entered into a contract with a park district to provide law enforcement services. They took the "School District" part of their name off, which no other school district police does in California. The chief of police and sheriff were talking about disbanding the force and replacing them with local law enforcement.

One I'm very familiar with is University of California Police. Legally they have primary jurisdiction on campus property and up to one mile from campus property. However, they don't typically infringe on city police and/or county sheriffs and have memorandums that delineate a more specific primary jurisdiction as well as when they can deviate. The city police won't typically do enforcement on campus and the university police won't do that off campus. It specifies that they call in to report something and the primary will handle it unless help is requested. The memorandum also specifies a joint patrol area.

I know that in certain rural areas, law enforcement can be pretty sparse and local law enforcement may come to understandings that other state peace officers aid the in their regular duties like traffic stops.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w

Going "off the reservation" is generally frowned upon around here. Everyone has their own little responsibilities, and infringing on someone else's turf is considered bad form, unless it's a mutual aid request. In California, local law enforcement will almost never pull someone over for speeding on the freeway since that's for the California Highway Patrol. Legal highways that aren't freeways are a different story.

I've heard of quite a bit of this. One was a pair of National Park Service law enforcement rangers who arrested someone for pot possession outside of the park boundaries. When friends showed up asking what they were doing, they got pepper sprayed. It became big news, and later the county sheriff cleared up that while they were deputized by the sheriff to enforce local and state laws, the intent was that it was only for enforcement while on NPS property.

There was a school district police department in the Sacramento area that got in trouble for "call jumping" city police and county sheriff emergency calls. They also apparently made a lot of traffic stops and vehicle tows well off school property. They apparently wanted more action, and entered into a contract with a park district to provide law enforcement services. They took the "School District" part of their name off, which no other school district police does in California. The chief of police and sheriff were talking about disbanding the force and replacing them with local law enforcement.

One I'm very familiar with is University of California Police. Legally they have primary jurisdiction on campus property and up to one mile from campus property. However, they don't typically infringe on city police and/or county sheriffs and have memorandums that delineate a more specific primary jurisdiction as well as when they can deviate. The city police won't typically do enforcement on campus and the university police won't do that off campus. It specifies that they call in to report something and the primary will handle it unless help is requested. The memorandum also specifies a joint patrol area.

I know that in certain rural areas, law enforcement can be pretty sparse and local law enforcement may come to understandings that other state peace officers aid the in their regular duties like traffic stops.

Interesting. I know in Indiana the state police and Conservation officers have state wide jurisdiction so it's no infringement on local or county law enforcement if they take a domestic call in a town because they are closer and able to respond. Most countries in Indiana have allotted state troopers and Conservation officers whose job is to also assist local law enforcement officers as well as providing safety on Indiana's highways and wildlife service.

Living in Ohio now it seems that the highway patrol does nothing other than matters concerning the interstates and state highways. I'm interested to find out if they are regulated to this or if they respond to city and county affairs.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w

Interesting. I know in Indiana the state police and Conservation officers have state wide jurisdiction so it's no infringement on local or county law enforcement if they take a domestic call in a town because they are closer and able to respond. Most countries in Indiana have allotted state troopers and Conservation officers whose job is to also assist local law enforcement officers as well as providing safety on Indiana's highways and wildlife service.

Living in Ohio now it seems that the highway patrol does nothing other than matters concerning the interstates and state highways. I'm interested to find out if they are regulated to this or if they respond to city and county affairs.

By law, certain officers are theoretically given statewide jurisdiction. However, all agencies have a stated primary duty, and straying away from that is generally considered overstepping one's responsibility. They have certain enforcement powers that are considered part of their job anywhere in the state, such as carrying out an arrest warrant or investigating a crime by interviewing witnesses. Of course following a suspect fleeing into another jurisdiction is pretty normal.

http://law.justia.com/codes/california/2005/pen/830-832.17.html

There are some statewide agencies like the University of California Police that legally have statewide authority, but they rarely use that outside of campus or university property.

The California Highway Patrol is a pretty diversified law enforcement agency. Over 20 years ago, they absorbed the California State Police, whose function was to patrol state property and provide protection services for statewide office holders like the Governor. Their primary duty is traffic enforcement, but there have been cases where they provided scheduled aid to supplement local law enforcement. They also have a Capitol division that provides patrol around state property in Sacramento. They also have protective services that do things like run a Secret Service style protection detail for the Governor and dignitaries. This is the part of the law (plus others describing statewide peace officers) that describes their authority:

Quote:
830.2. The following persons are peace officers whose authority
extends to any place in the state:
(a) Any member of the Department of the California Highway Patrol including those members designated under subdivision (a) of Section 2250.1 of the Vehicle Code, provided that the primary duty of the peace officer is the enforcement of any law relating to the use or operation of vehicles upon the highways, or laws pertaining to the provision of police services for the protection of state officers, state properties, and the occupants of state properties, or both, as set forth in the Vehicle Code and Government Code.
(b) A member of the University of California Police Department appointed pursuant to Section 92600 of the Education Code, provided that the primary duty of the peace officer shall be the enforcement of the law within the area specified in Section 92600 of the Education Code.
(c) A member of the California State University Police Departments appointed pursuant to Section 89560 of the Education Code, provided that the primary duty of the peace officer shall be the enforcement of the law within the area specified in Section 89560 of the Education Code.
(d) (1) Any member of the Law Enforcement and Investigations Unit of the Department of Corrections, provided that the primary duties of the peace officer shall be the investigation or apprehension of parolees, parole violators, or escapees from state institutions, the transportation of those persons, and the coordination of those activities with other criminal justice agencies.
(2) Any member of the Office of Internal Affairs of the Department of Corrections, provided that the primary duties shall be criminal investigations of Department of Corrections personnel and the coordination of those activities with other criminal justice
agencies. For purposes of this subdivision the member of the Office of Internal Affairs shall possess certification from the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training for investigators, or have completed training pursuant to Section 6126.1 of the Penal Code.
(e) Employees of the Department of Fish and Game designated by the director, provided that the primary duty of those peace officers shall be the enforcement of the law as set forth in Section 856 of the Fish and Game Code.
(f) Employees of the Department of Parks and Recreation designated by the director pursuant to Section 5008 of the Public Resources Code, provided that the primary duty of the peace officer shall be the enforcement of the law as set forth in Section 5008 of the Public Resources Code.

Here's a trooper hitting the back of another trooper's car:

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
"Saw a cop nearly rear end a car the other day."

"Nearly" is not newsworthy

He locked up the brakes and fish tailed to a stop. I thought abs prevented that, not sure why he didn't just cut over into the median. That's what I do when someone stops too quick in front of me. Hit the brakes and switch lanes real quick. Just a trick I learned a while back. Got tired of having too many near misses from people stopping too fast or turning right on a seconds notice. Everyone panics and hits the brakes as hard as they can instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know everyone makes mistakes, like many of you said we're human, but I thought police officers had special training when it comes to driving and things like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back