Recent Wix order from Rock Auto (regular inventory

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered three Wix filters from Rock Auto (along with other stuff), and they seem to still be good stuff and thankfully not ruined by Mann/Purolator. But there were some oddities I noticed.

The filters in question are a 51040 (most non-V8 GM cars from the 70s to the 2000's), a 51315 (Ford's Zetec), and a 57356 (most recent Hondas and Nissans). They came from Rock Auto's Ohio warehouse. All three were US-made in Wix's factory in Gastonia, NC.

But I have some surprising observations for this order. The 51315 was made in January 2017, very fresh stock. The 57356 was made in December 2016, still not bad (although the last Wix I ordered from RA came from California and was only 6 weeks old at the time of delivery).

The 51040 was made in 2015 and has a beat-up box. This surprised me because the 51040 is a rather popular application, and American cars are more prevalent in the midwest than on the east coast (in fact, the car it will be installed on was made in Ohio)

I was pleasantly surprised to see the Zetec filter being so new. If any of them would be old stock, I would've guessed this one since it's not a popular application, and consolidation is very common (for example, Purolator stopped making the 25230 and instead consolidates to the 20195, which corresponds to Wix 51516). It is very hard to get recent production dates with this type filter!

The 51315 is still a white can (almost every Wix is painted black now) and probably has round holes, but I cannot confirm since it has an anti-siphon valve that doesn't let you see inside the filter. The 57356 and 51040 still have round holes.

I made this thread mainly to relieve people's fears that Purolator/Mann ruined Wix.

Pictures will be uploaded later

Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
I have seen some labels online that they are made in China:(

Do you remember which part numbers were Chinese?

Quote:
...I made this thread mainly to relieve people's fears that Purolator/Mann&Hummel ruined Wix.....

CTFY

While it's true that M&H now owns both Purolator and Wix now, there's been no indication of any cross over in production between the two companies to this point. So Purolator ruining Wix wouldn't be a possibility currently. Also 'if' there was to be a cross over at some point, that decision would be entirely on Mann&Hummel as sole owners. So bottom line, if any QC issues were to take place to Wix filters, same as with PuroUS currently, completely M&H directed.

That said, purchasing Napa Golds locally at least annually I've seen no indications of negative changes in Wix QC/quality. That said, unless someone is clairvoyant no one knows what could/might happen in the future including the use of louvers. Generally speaking for me that consideration continues to be much ado about nothing. Similar to the silly Ultra burr hole thread.

As for the use of louvers, properly done they work fine. As reference, I noted the new Fram Racing filter line touted recently on this board is using them now too. Didn't see much if any blowback or comment about them, which was interesting imo.

As for the comment about Wix coo, I can say that for the Napa Gold spin on applications I use 5/7356 5/1348 and 5/1334 as has been consistent for the spin on type filters, the first two applications made in the US, the last in Mexico. Ime no drop off in quality of the 5/1334 filter. Possible some cartridge (or air filters) applications offshored, know the Hyun/Kia cartridges have been made in S Korea but ime those were high quality. As reference, many/most Fram cartridges have a China coo.

Lastly as has been shown here frequently, ordering filters from RA can be a carp shoot at times when it come to manufacture date and filter received, and even filter condition. Based on that, fortunate imo that the RA filter order contained relatively recent production and relatively undamaged.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
I have seen some labels online that they are made in China:(

Do you remember which part numbers were Chinese?

from amazon---
Brand
Wix

Item Weight
8 ounces

Product Dimensions
2.8 x 2.8 x 3.5 inches

Origin
China

Item model number

Manufacturer Part Number

OEM Part Number

Brand
Wix

Item Weight
4 ounces

Product Dimensions
2.8 x 2.8 x 3.5 inches

Origin
China

Item model number

Manufacturer Part Number

OEM Part Number

Wix

Item Weight
8 ounces

Product Dimensions
3.7 x 2.9 x 2.6 inches

Origin
China

Item model number
57356XP

Manufacturer Part Number
57356XP

OEM Part Number
57356XP

Also off the WIX site--http://www.wixfilters.com/About/PlantLocations.aspx

Last edited:
^^^So have you actually purchased either of those two Wix applications (51356, 57356) confirming that coo? Or are you just copy/pasting "Amazon" information. If the former please post a picture of the filter box and/or can information.

Having relatively recent production of the NG 7356 and on hand now and in use I can state that mine are made in US. Also the OP notes no off shore coo of the recent production (12/16) of the 57356 he purchased.

'Based on that information', I'm going to say the Amazon coo information is inaccurate. I wouldn't consider it to be an authoritative source of coo anyway.

Timed out and didn't see the later edit seeming to equate the fact that Wix has a plant in China, as proof the specifically noted 51356, 57356 are made there. Yep, Wix has a plant there, as does Mann&Hummel and other filter manufactures. Doesn't prove the Wix/Napa Gold spin on applications are made there at this point. I'll take it then that the answer to previous question is no.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac

As for the use of louvers, properly done they work fine. As reference, I noted the new Fram Racing filter line touted recently on this board is using them now too. Didn't see much if any blowback or comment about them, which was interesting imo.

Yep, the words "properly done" makes them or breaks them. I bet if a Fram Racing filter was shown with really closed up louvers that most would say that's not good. I personally don't mind louvers if they are done right (the more open the better IMO), but if they looked too closed up I'd be concerned no matter what brand filter is was.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
... I bet if a Fram Racing filter was shown with really closed up louvers that most would say that's not good....

Perhaps. But now that Fram has gone to louvers on some of their filters, it will be interesting to watch if they get the same scrutiny as all other brands posted. Though I'd expect not to see many anecdotes relatively speaking because of the filter type and it's availability.

To topic, the Wix/Napa Gold applications I've noted still show a hole centertube, so currently louver construction a moot point for me.

The ones I have in my stash are usa made but some of the new ones might not be ..

Thanks for the reply. So only Amazon information and no personal anecdote confirming that information. Just anecdotes confirming made in US. So as said, Amazon coo info unconfirmed and most likely inaccurate.

Yep, never know what might happen from any filter brand in the future, but best information currently shows no confirmation of Amazon 51356/57356 coo.

So far, I haven't seen any indication that M+H has ruined WIX. M+H makes top notch products so I see no reason to worry. Spin on and cartridges.. I'd use them worry free.

They have made stuff in China for some time though.. For example, the filter for mom's 4Runner is made in China. I am assuming it's not a popular part number.

Rest assured, the filter for say my Jeep will be US made for some time. It's a popular size.

We love the topic....all of us do but I gotta say it's all virtually meaningless because nowhere is the quality of the media used ever spoken of.

These companies likely purchase their cloth/paper/matting in batches. Sure, they say they trust the companies so they can legitimately distance themselves from QC issues. I'd bet they don't inspect materials beyond visual.

Not trying to be negative here, just realistic.

Make a deal with you.....the more facts you can provide about media quality, the more you can scold me for being distrusting. Kira

I'm a little confused; as I cut a Napa gold off a friends Audi that was "made in Mexico" and it had louvers and nitrile ADBV.

^^^^^^Curious, did you post pics here of it? Have an application number for it?

A small minority of a Wix/NG's do use a nitrile adbv? The app for Nissan has nitrile adbv, it's also spec'd for many OPE applications too. An example has been posted here of that application, and though not made in Mexico, it had a louvered design.

As noted before some Napa Gold spin ons are made in Mexico (51334). Vast majority are currently made in US, use silicone adbv, thread end bypass, and use hole center tube. So, it's possible to find a made in mexico with louvers and nitrile abbv, especially on low production app like for Audi I'd think.

As reference though, many here admire the appearance of the Part Plus/Premium Guard filters with unknown efficiency and made in China.

Here are the pictures

IMG_20170225_214808451.jpg

IMG_20170225_215711115.jpg

Date code is 011717 (January 17, 2017)
IMG_20170225_215217502.jpg

IMG_20170225_215727000.jpg

IMG_20170225_215734843.jpg

IMG_20170225_215530154.jpg

IMG_20170225_215909948.jpg

IMG_20170225_215920919.jpg

IMG_20170225_215930135.jpg

IMG_20170225_215934532.jpg

IMG_20170225_215942129.jpg

IMG_20170225_220009386.jpg

IMG_20170225_215525235.jpg

IMG_20170225_220040987.jpg

IMG_20170225_220047901.jpg

^^^^^^Curious, did you post pics here of it? Have an application number for it?

A small minority of a Wix/NG's do use a nitrile adbv? The app for Nissan has nitrile adbv, it's also spec'd for many OPE applications too. An example has been posted here of that application, and though not made in Mexico, it had a louvered design.

As noted before some Napa Gold spin ons are made in Mexico (51334). Vast majority are currently made in US, use silicone adbv, thread end bypass, and use hole center tube. So, it's possible to find a made in mexico with louvers and nitrile abbv, especially on low production app like for Audi I'd think.

As reference though, many here admire the appearance of the Part Plus/Premium Guard filters with unknown efficiency and made in China.

Sayjac: here's the c&p

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4329377/NAPA_%22gold%22_#7561,_5%23Post4329377

^^^Yep, vaguely remember looking at it, didn't comment there. Definitely a one off as compared to current majority Wix/NG construction. I suspect it has to do with it being a low volume sale application than anything else. And makes me wonder if it's an application made by someone else and Wix rebrands. Could be Wix made though. Louvers look excellent though, as does filter itself.

Thanks for the link.

My Wix 51358 uses louvers and a nitrile ADBV. Two OCIs ago, I got ones with closed louvers, and simply exchanged it for one that looked better. I don't fear the louvers. I just get annoyed that with a Wix (or several other brands) I have to check to make sure the louvers are open, something that Hastings and Baldwin mastered ages ago.

Originally Posted By: Garak

My Wix 51358 uses louvers and a nitrile ADBV. Two OCIs ago, I got ones with closed louvers, and simply exchanged it for one that looked better. I don't fear the louvers. I just get annoyed that with a Wix (or several other brands) I have to check to make sure the louvers are open, something that Hastings and Baldwin mastered ages ago.

This is why I only use Hastings and Baldwin filters. I do use Wix filters as well but I always check them first before I purchase them to make sure they are in perfect shape. Never had a problem with any of those 3 brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back