Walmart Dexron VI is a licensed product east coast

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is some controversy about Walmart brand Super Tech Dexron VI about it actually being licensed and approved by GM. There are pictures of some recent bottles saying it's not a licensed product.

But on the east coast, it seems to be licensed. The Dexron logo appears on the front, and the license number on the back. The bottom of the bottle was stamped WNE, so it's still Warren/WPP (like almost every ST oil in this region)

I do not know how to read the date code

IMG_20170225_185209880.jpg

IMG_20170225_185214592.jpg

Not sure what kind of controversy you mention. To hold the Dexron VI name, they must hold a license. The ST bottles have clearly stated that they are licensed for as long as I can remember.

There is no such product as Dexron III anymore. To buy a low price-point "D/M" ATF product is to do so at yur own peril.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Not sure what kind of controversy you mention. To hold the Dexron VI name, they must hold a license. The ST bottles have clearly stated that they are licensed for as long as I can remember.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Kinda thought the same thing...

Originally Posted By: umungus1122
There's a controversy? It's been known that it's licensed for some time now.

See this post.

RichardS's bottle says Dexron VI and then "this is not a licensed product."

It would be interesting if anyone does know how to decipher production date codes. To save everyone having to bounce around to different threads, here are the images from ST Dexron6 that are on the shelves of the West Melbourne Walmart. I found the information in the photo while trying to find the most economical dexron6 8 could carrying the GM approval.

As I asked before to no avail, is it possible they dropped the license to avoid the fee?

Side note: Id hardly call it a controversy, but it would be nice to get to the bottom of the wording on the bottle.

Originally Posted By: RichardS
it would be nice to get to the bottom of the wording on the bottle.

Sure would.

Here's what I found on a BG Products web page for their licensed DEXRON-VI fluid:
"GM DEXRON®-VI is a registered trademark
of GM, which licenses the name and
specifications to companies which
manufacture the fluid and sell it under
their own brand names. Companies must
obtain special permission for a license.
"

https://www.bgprod.com/blog/bg-offers-gm-dexron-vi-licensed-atf/

It would be interesting if anyone does know how to decipher production date codes..

I'd give it a shot, but I can't make it out clearly on the OP's bottle. Post the code as a reply, or clearer picture and I'll see if I can decipher.

I do see second set of numbers 16349, that could be day 349 of 2016. But really need to see first set of date code numbers.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
It would be interesting if anyone does know how to decipher production date codes..

I'd give it a shot, but I can't make it out clearly on the OP's bottle. Post the code as a reply, or clearer picture and I'll see if I can decipher.

I do see second set of numbers 16349, that could be day 349 of 2016. But really need to see first set of date code numbers.

M65153 16349 07:13
J-60416 (this is probably the Dexron VI license number)

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: Sayjac

M65153 16349 07:13
J-60416 (this is probably the Dexron VI license number)

OK. Having contacted Peak/Old World regarding the date of manufacture of some Peak Oil I purchased awhile back, I'm going to say the topic bottle made Dec 14th 2016. Peak oil made by same manufacturer WPP, uses a similar date code format.

All the ST dexron vi bottles in the Dallas, TX area Wal-Mart's say "This is not a licensed product". Been that way for several years, for as long as I've owned a vehicle requiring dexron vi.

Originally Posted By: stower17
All the ST dexron vi bottles in the Dallas, TX area Wal-Mart's say "This is not a licensed product". Been that way for several years, for as long as I've owned a vehicle requiring dexron vi.

probably by region then, like all ST oil is. Do you know who supplies ST in Texas?

I'm not exactly sure who supplies it in my region. I wish Wal-Mart's here carried ST dexron vi that is licensed, I'm jealous of you guys that have the licensed dexron vi ST.

I'm not exactly sure who supplies it in my region. I wish Wal-Mart's here carried ST dexron vi that is licensed, I'm jealous of you guys that have the licensed dexron vi ST.

next time you're in Walmart, take a picture of the bottom of the bottle
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

next time you're in Walmart, take a picture of the bottom of the bottle
smile.gif

+1

I would definitely trust the licensed ST Dexron vi. I just can never find it! You lucky dogs on the east coast and elsewhere...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back