Sunoco about to join the Top Tier List

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Irishman
Gasbuddy has been going downhill for quite some time. It is hard to believe that Sunoco is a Dallas based company and there isn't a Sunoco station in the D/FW area that I know of!!! Please advise if there is.

Try here:
9512 Cf Hawn Freeway
Dallas, TX 75217

1401 Markum Ranch Road
Fort Worth, TX 76126

2007 Southeast Parkway
Arlington, TX 76018

https://www.sunoco.com/locations/tx/9512-cf-hawn-freeway-dallas-tx-75217/

All staions in Texas-
https://www.sunoco.com/gas-station-locator/texas/P50/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Irishman
It is hard to believe that Sunoco is a Dallas based company and there isn't a Sunoco station in the D/FW area that I know of!!!

QT / Qwik Trip is Top Tier, and all is I ever use in the DFW metroplex area

dANG iT!

I just got a magic blend of 35% Sunoco 93 then 65% EXxon 87 right. Now I will have too high a % detergent in the fuel (that makes the car run bad). Or maybe the gas will just be Junk Like the Shell station down the street. You put Big detergent load in the "gas" is like putting whipped cream on a cow flap. Then there the late night deliveries I see with no name trucks. What in there? Garbage.

They wouldn't be using the term "Top Tier" if they didn't plan to join the program. It's proprietary, and a registered trademark, and you have to pay to play, so I would not get my consumer hackles up at "meets Top Tier specification" as if it were weasel words strung together. You can always be wrong about such things but time will tell and unless proven wrong I'm thinking they get listed as approved in the program.

Originally Posted By: SaturnIonVue
Originally Posted By: wemay
Soon it will be harder to find non-top tier, i think.

I don't like ever having to use halffast (a south Louisiana term) fuel!!

We use that term as well, but we spell it correctly. "Half-assed"

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
dANG iT!

I just got a magic blend of 35% Sunoco 93 then 65% EXxon 87 right. Now I will have too high a % detergent in the fuel (that makes the car run bad). Or maybe the gas will just be Junk Like the Shell station down the street. You put Big detergent load in the "gas" is like putting whipped cream on a cow flap. Then there the late night deliveries I see with no name trucks. What in there? Garbage.

You need to stop messing around and just go to Haffner's!!

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
The release didn't say if it would be Top Tier - only that it would meet the Top Tier specifications. That's sort of like some oil labels that say they meet a certain spec but don't contain the official endorsement.

Only here. Only here.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
The release didn't say if it would be Top Tier - only that it would meet the Top Tier specifications. That's sort of like some oil labels that say they meet a certain spec but don't contain the official endorsement.

Only here. Only here.

I'm kind of jaded from Amsoil press releases defending why they don't get API certification for most of their products that could get them. Even large companies like ExxonMobil have statements saying that they meet certain manufacturers' standards without having actual manufacturer's approvals.

I did find other press releases that included an image of the Top Tier logo, so that would seem to be a strong sign that they're actually onboard. I have seen weird stuff like a Top Tier sticker displayed inside the convenience store portion of a Valero station before they got Top Tier certification. Before that I remember someone here posted a statement by a Valero representative stating that they felt an excess of fuel detergent could cause problems like excessive metal wear.

Only here. Only here.

I'm kind of jaded from Amsoil press releases defending why they don't get API certification for most of their products that could get them. Even large companies like ExxonMobil have statements saying that they meet certain manufacturers' standards without having actual manufacturer's approvals.

I did find other press releases that included an image of the Top Tier logo, so that would seem to be a strong sign that they're actually onboard. I have seen weird stuff like a Top Tier sticker displayed inside the convenience store portion of a Valero station before they got Top Tier certification. Before that I remember someone here posted a statement by a Valero representative stating that they felt an excess of fuel detergent could cause problems like excessive metal wear.

As the article said, they won't even have the new formulation rolled out nationwide until April 1, therefore it is highly unlikely that they could formally be top tier if the fuel is not available retail yet. Therefore, it would be reasonably safe to assume that they are in process.

Only here. Only here.

As the article said, they won't even have the new formulation rolled out nationwide until April 1, therefore it is highly unlikely that they could formally be top tier if the fuel is not available retail yet. Therefore, it would be reasonably safe to assume that they are in process.

All it takes is a 100% rollout and they can say they're certified. I remember Costco completed their on-site detergent delivery system at all their locations and put up the Top Tier signs immediately. Before then there was no word as to whether or not they were planning on the certification. I recall they said publicly that they would consider it.

Could TT be like dexos 1 in that just about any product out there already meets it?
Some incredibly cheap motor oils wear the dexos logo just as some incredibly cheap gas stations have the TT logo on their pumps.
One of the least costly stations in this area is a Valero, for example. It's pretty ghetto, with rusty dispensers that have half of their LCD displays inop and often fail to have tape on which to print receipts. The fuel is Top Tier, though and the price is usually right.
Wait until Speedway and UDF pony up for TT certification.
That'll kill off the remaining Shell and BP locations in the area.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Speedway will need to pony up their fuel detergent levels first.

That is a pretty old graphic. Marathon is now TT.
I question whether or not Speedway will ever become TT.
I used to have some contacts that worked for Speedway. I was told that Speedway stations were Marathon company stations, and Marathon branded were franchisees.
At least around here, many Marathons have Speedways across the street from them. I can't understand why someone would want to be a franchisee and compete with the company on the other side of the street.
For instance, not far from my house the Certified station (Sunoco) just turned into a Marathon, while maybe a quarter of a mile up the road, Speedway is building a new station.
It would seem to me that the differentiation in product would be TT fuel vs. non-TT fuel.

Well, Speedway does tend to be dominant in the markets they're active in.
They ruthlessly acquire competitors and I can think of more than a few stations that are now Speedways that were once of other marketers.
Across the river in KY, there are actually two Speedways side by side.
One was once a Shell that Speedway acquired a few years back and both remain open.
Given its market presence, Speedway is the price setter while other stations are price takers. Speedway could easily afford the fractions of a cent per gallon required to bring its fuels to TT status.
Other gasoline discounters like Costco and Valero already do this.

There is a lot of dominance when you consider that the mother ship (Marathon Oil) goes at it with two marques: Speedway and Marathon Oil.
Even though most oil companies still have some company owned stations, not many can say that they operate under two brands.
Some time ago, I started a thread here regarding the pricing practices and had some stats on market share in the state. The figures were stunning. I would guess that is why so many gas retailers have become extinct in the state, and even if they try a resurgence, may not gain the traction to make a dent.
Marathon advertises STP additives and is TT. Speedway does neither, but has an aggressive rewards program.
I would guess that they have to differentiate product enough to create a rationale for franchisees to compete with the company store across the street.

There is a lot of dominance when you consider that the mother ship (Marathon Oil) goes at it with two marques: Speedway and Marathon Oil.
Even though most oil companies still have some company owned stations, not many can say that they operate under two brands.

Sure about that? With all the consolidation in the industry I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of oil companies that operate under two (or more) brands.

ExxonMobil is of course the most obvious. They still market as Esso in some countries. Phillips 66 has that brand, as well as Conoco and 76. Chevron has their brand, as well as Texaco and even the occasional Standard branding. BP has a variety of brand names - they still use Amoco as well as BP branding. BP used to own ARCO too, but now have some complicated relationship where they still own the ampm brand name, and operate ARCO stations in some regions under a licensing agreement. Valero operates a bunch of different brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back