Any actual numbers on Pen Ultra vs Platinum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw them both at wally world today and outside of RAT's blog showing QSUD as the best 0w20 I can't see what the diff is moving "up" two levels. Is it Ultra>Plat>QSUD? Is there anything inside the bottle that's diff or just the outside?

Oh and the exact same QSUD in a new bottle just went up in price.

iprr5e.jpg

Originally Posted By: car51
I believe the QSUD has more Moly but I may be wrong. Member Oregoonian has had success with it
wink.gif

what do you mean by this and is moly a good or bad thing? I read where some pennzoil have high amounts of paraphin wax in them which hurts the engines? True or no?

Oh my god; not this old wives tale again!

If SOPUS oils had wax in them, my now gone Focus would've been sludges to heaven. The QS/Pennzoil oils of today don't sludge up engines and I doubt they have paraffin in them. I think some Moly is ok also

The more moly the better pretty much. One of the more expensive additives. PYB has a nice dose of it.

I've used QSUD for about a year now. I switched from Mobil 1 0w20 due to engine noise. QSUD reduced engine noise significantly.

I will be using Pennzoil Ultra on my next OCI.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
I've used QSUD for about a year now. I switched from Mobil 1 0w20 due to engine noise. QSUD reduced engine noise significantly.

Good to hear Oregoonian and keep me posted
wink.gif

Thank you
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The table with the check marks on the back of the new bottle looks just like the ones XOM uses
crazy2.gif

You're right! I just now noticed that. I think all the new bottle designs are repulsive. They need to fire their marketing departments.

why the switch? Also where do you find PSU?

Originally Posted By: FlyingTexan
I believe the QSUD has more Moly but I may be wrong. Member Oregoonian has had success with it
wink.gif

what do you mean by this and is moly a good or bad thing? I read where some pennzoil have high amounts of paraphin wax in them which hurts the engines? True or no?
Most people are living in the 1970 on what they think they know about motor oils . Todays oils are GPII on up These are the base groups that have allowed the million + mile over the road semi truck engine life. These oils have near synthetic oil properties. Here is a like that will help explain link

wink.gif

No. I called Pennzoil back in the 90's and they stated back then that they didn't use Pennsylvania paraffinic crude any more.

Also modern oils are modern, meaning after refining, hydrocracking, and treatment, it's exactly the oil they want it to be. Crude is just a convenient source of carbon and hydrogen. Some of Pennzoil's synthetic oil was never oil- it starts as Natural Gas.

Paraffin wax makes big bucks with the fancy candle and cosmetics companies, they'd never leave that stuff in motor oil. Ever pay attention to what what they charge for birthday candles? You can't tell me they're just skimping out on that market!

why the switch? Also where do you find PSU?

I'm switching (just did the oil change) to Pennzoil Plat. Ultra 0w20....because Pennzoil sent me a free six quart box....to test out. It included a Blackstone container to use with a sample of my old (QSUD 0w20) oil (which I just sent to Blackstone).

The Pennzoil Ultra (0w20) is working well (very smooth & engine in reasonably quiet). I'm very satisfied with it so far.

When I'm ready for my next OC (between 8k and 9K)....Pennzoil will send me another Blackstone container to do another test (free of charge including mailing).....as well as another box (6 quarts of Pennzoil Ultra).

Its hard to beat this deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back