Slow Pump. Is it a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Station is low on fuel. Pump runs slow. (Seems like forever, but probably 3 gallons a minute).

Should I worry about getting extra crud in my tank?

My wife will stop and drive away. I grin and bear it.

What do you do?

Stop. I go somewhere else. 1. Filter hasn't been changed at pump. 2. Low fuel level in tank does suck more of the crud from bottom.

Typically, I see 5 micron fuel filters on gas station pumps. Even if the filter is clogged, it isn't dumping crud into your car's gas tank.

I've had a few pumps run slow on me, but I never thought it was because they were low on fuel.

There's three gas stations in town where I live. All three of them have non-ethanol gas.

The only one that will read my card is the slowest gas station ever. IT took me 10 minutes to put 10 gallons in the Jeep's tank the other day. Super slow!

But, it's only 1/8 mile up the road.

Could be a water filter needing replacement. It's not that there's an excessive amount of water in the fuel, but if it hasn't been changed in a while that's supposed to slow it down.

Gas is pulled from bottom of tank whether full or not. Unless there is a bypass on the pump, a filter that needs changing will not let any more dirt through it than a new one, probably less. Only real problem is the time it takes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back