CAT + GPF cleaner DIY ?

Hi there :)

it seems that wife's Suzuki Vitara 1.0 Boosterjet with 129000 km finally has carbon buildup into CAT+DPF (built into turbo downpipe) preventing the engine to flow correctly, causing low power at low revs and a reduced peak power. I get a P24A4 code if I floor it, and I can make it go away driving enough or doing a good italian tune-up, and get back some of the lost power, but it's still missing like 20hp.

I'd like to try feeding paint thinner into the fuel tank as this method helped me clean cats in the past, but that was on indiject injection engines.

Also, what kind of thinner would you recommend ?

-white spirit ?
-cellulose (lacquer) thinner ?
-anything else raw? turpentine, acetone, naphtha, toluene, xylene?

I want to try it before removing the cat to wash it with detergent. Any advice appreciated :) Thanks

Xylene and PEA detergent.

If no PEA detergent Xylene/Acetone very good!

Hi there :)

it seems that wife's Suzuki Vitara 1.0 Boosterjet with 129000 km finally has carbon buildup into CAT+DPF (built into turbo downpipe) preventing the engine to flow correctly, causing low power at low revs and a reduced peak power. I get a P24A4 code if I floor it, and I can make it go away driving enough or doing a good italian tune-up, and get back some of the lost power, but it's still missing like 20hp.

I'd like to try feeding paint thinner into the fuel tank as this method helped me clean cats in the past, but that was on indiject injection engines.

Also, what kind of thinner would you recommend ?

-white spirit ?
-cellulose (lacquer) thinner ?
-anything else raw? turpentine, acetone, naphtha, toluene, xylene?

I want to try it before removing the cat to wash it with detergent. Any advice appreciated :) Thanks

First I want to say it's always amazing when we get people posting from some corner of the world like Reunion Island.

Second, IMO it would make sense to look at the MSDS of various in-tank DPF cleaners and then try to mimic those ingredients or just buy them. Your issue is a common occurrence with chronically short tripped diesels so I would consider it as part of a maintenance regime. TBH I'm skeptical any in-tank product could clean DPF with out an active regen cycle.

Last edited:
Xylene and PEA detergent.

If no PEA detergent Xylene/Acetone very good!
so, as lacquer thinner is usually a combination of acetone, toluene and xylene, it might be a good choice? I don't have access to PEA products here, or very difficult.
Before trying lacquer thinner should I give a go at white spirits (mineral spirits) as it's less agressive?
First I want to say it's always amazing when we get people posting from some corner of the world like Reunion Island.
yeah i might be the only one posting uncovered on bitog it seems?
Second, IMO it would make sense to look at the MSDS of various in-tank DPF cleaners and then try to mimic those ingredients or just buy them. Your issue is a common occurrence with chronically short tripped diesels so I would consider it as part of a maintenance regime. TBH I'm skeptical any in-tank product could clean DPF with out an active regen cycle.
it seems that GPF and DPF filters have different clogging issues. While we never had DPF issues with her past diesel because she has a 30-minutes commute to her work location before doing door-to-door driving, I thought this petrol engine with GPF would be safe. Well it proved me wrong... since it's turbo DI, I imagine soot and active cleanups aren't managed the same way, and I'm stuck with that hardened soot that needs more than regular or lean burn EGT could achieve.

so, as lacquer thinner is usually a combination of acetone, toluene and xylene, it might be a good choice? I don't have access to PEA products here, or very difficult.
Before trying lacquer thinner should I give a go at white spirits (mineral spirits) as it's less agressive?

Yeah Lacquer thinner works quite well too. Use the lacquer thinner

I had a quart of white spirit so it went in last night, test drive this morning showed no signs of malfunction, knocking or anything. smells out of the exhaust so maybe it would do something.

regarding lacquer thinners here's the two I can get:
20230611_110659.jpg20230611_110644.jpg

and the white spirit:
20230611_110710.jpg

gasoline exhaust is hot enough to burn soot without any help.
if the gpf is stuck, lets pray it is not due to ash from burnt oil. then the solvents will do nothing.

gasoline exhaust is hot enough to burn soot without any help.
if the gpf is stuck, lets pray it is not due to ash from burnt oil. then the solvents will do nothing.
while this engine didn't consume virtually any crankcase oil, it doesn't have a catch can and the PCV is oily from vapors.

if the GPF is blocked due to SAPS (doesn't specify low saps oil), does this means even a soak-and-wash with the part removed from the car wouldn't be effective?

while this engine didn't consume virtually any crankcase oil, it doesn't have a catch can and the PCV is oily from vapors.

if the GPF is blocked due to SAPS (doesn't specify low saps oil), does this means even a soak-and-wash with the part removed from the car wouldn't be effective?
It would still be effective, all it would do is coat the catalyst material, which can be removed with solvents or a soak and wash

So white spirit didn't do much, it seems when at first I had more consistent performance without getting a P24A4 clogged filter DTC, it's now getting worse and I'm even losing more power. Will not waste more money into using things as fuel additives, but I'm pondering what I can pour by the pressure tube to get the cat unclogged without having to remove it.

Sensor replaced ! part Facet 10.3291

Now I don't have P24A4 clogged filter on the test drive like I used to, but I'll do an extensive one tonight since the performance is still crap. Driving to see the volcano :) I hope it will trigger some sort of regen and unclog the dpf-cat assembly if it's somehow clogged.

I also have so monitor coolant level since when replacing the sensor I saw the overflow tank empty, opened up the radiator cap and had to fill between half a quart and a quart to top it to the fill hole.

Wondering if I pour that quart of lacquer thinner in the fuel tank before going, since it will be a long drive and won't sit in for long, just be consumed tonight. I'll report back

Back