Castrol magnatec 10w40 duration on chery A5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
I'm using Castrol magnatec 10w40. In a chery A5 1.6L car.

Owners manual states 5k km as change interval without time frame with only API SJ service level.

both Castrol UK & castrol Egypt Confirm ability of the magnatec 10w40 which is API SN/ACEA A3 to last 10k km/12 months before change.

I'm confused about change interval conflict between chery's manual and castrol clear statement.

Logically i should follow chery's lead, but while discussion with castrol UK we assumed that chery built its recommendation based on basic meniral oil with API SJ level, which is might be the reason of short change interval while magnatec is semi synthetic oil with highest level SN.

The only time chery replied my mails they replied Cryptically That if the the oil i use meets long/extended service time so it's ok to change at 10k km.

My question is:
What's your opinion regarding this issue?
Stick to manual or follow castrol's lead?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Omar_Eltahan
My question is:

In theory, a high quality oil meeting ACEA A3/B4 spec should allow for longer service intervals. But whether you can safely do longer oil change intervals depends on a lot of factors outside of the oil itself: things like current condition of your engine, your driving patterns, etc.

How much sulphur is in your local fuel ?

Modern oil change intervals have increased because the oil has improved in quality and the fuel has improved in quality. In the old days we had 500 ppm sulphur in our fuel and changed every 5,000 KM, now we have about 10 ppm sulphur in our fuel and most people change every 10,000 KM around me. With low sulphur fuel and a good A3 oil, my owners manual says I can change every 15,000 KM.

You have a good A3 oil, but how good is your fuel ?

Working on a Chery a couple of weeks ago, looking in the service book it had 10,000km oil changes. All recommendations seemed to be for a 40 weight, so went with a 10W-40.

If they are expeting the use of SJ oil, they're considering real low quality, since as being obsolete spec, any oil coukd claim to be SJ, because nobody except pquia would test it eventually. The rest of the world is on its own, when obsolete ratings are labeled.

I would ignore the manual monster, and take Castrol's 10,000 km OCI as a guide ....

....for in a 8000 miles (12800 km)service of semisyn Total Quartz 7000 Energy 10W40 A3B4 SL(not SN) in an albeit Japanese Yota/Daihatsu K3VE engine with 500 ppm sulfur Euro II gasoline fuels ..
it's Blotter Spot Test shows good result thus far..... and moving on.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4301835/1/Can_I_delay_this_oil_change_up

I don't see why your combination of Chevy AND Magnatec 10W40 A3B4 SN can't adopt 10,000 km (or more) OCI . JMHO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
My question is:

In theory, a high quality oil meeting ACEA A3/B4 spec should allow for longer service intervals. But whether you can safely do longer oil change intervals depends on a lot of factors outside of the oil itself: things like current condition of your engine, your driving patterns, etc.

Odometer points to 148k km, mostly on highways, engine in very good condition and I'm a classic driver, no sport driving.

Originally Posted By: SR5
How much sulphur is in your local fuel ?

Modern oil change intervals have increased because the oil has improved in quality and the fuel has improved in quality. In the old days we had 500 ppm sulphur in our fuel and changed every 5,000 KM, now we have about 10 ppm sulphur in our fuel and most people change every 10,000 KM around me. With low sulphur fuel and a good A3 oil, my owners manual says I can change every 15,000 KM.

You have a good A3 oil, but how good is your fuel ?

I use 92 octane gasoline, but i don't know sulphur amount in fuel, how can i figure it out?

Originally Posted By: Ohle_Manezzini
If they are expeting the use of SJ oil, they're considering real low quality, since as being obsolete spec, any oil coukd claim to be SJ, because nobody except pquia would test it eventually. The rest of the world is on its own, when obsolete ratings are labeled.

Didn't catch the point!

Originally Posted By: zeng
I would ignore the manual monster, and take Castrol's 10,000 km OCI as a guide ....

....for in a 8000 miles (12800 km)service of semisyn Total Quartz 7000 Energy 10W40 A3B4 SL(not SN) in an albeit Japanese Yota/Daihatsu K3VE engine with 500 ppm sulfur Euro II gasoline fuels ..
it's Blotter Spot Test shows good result thus far..... and moving on.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4301835/1/Can_I_delay_this_oil_change_up

I don't see why your combination of Chevy AND Magnatec 10W40 A3B4 SN can't adopt 10,000 km (or more) OCI . JMHO.

Looks interesting, thanks for the info.

Odometer points to 148k km, mostly on highways, engine in very good condition and I'm a classic driver, no sport driving.

Sounds like 10K km should be no problem then.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Sounds like 10K km should be no problem then.

That's great, is there a manual (DIY) test i can do at 7000 km to ensure oil quality then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back