Will pick up trucks ever stop getting bigger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Greater capabilities mean greater equipment to handle them.

If you increase the size of the axles, frame rails, wheels and tires, driveshaft, transmission, transfer case, heat exchangers, air intake, exhaust, intake manifold, etc.etc., where do you suppose the extra space that stuff takes up goes?

Then add that screwy influence to make enough space above the engine so if a person is struck by a vehicle, the hood can act as a cushion.

Not to mention that the interiors are being crushed inward by more computers, airbags, and other equipment.

It's no wonder things have gotten bigger. It's a wonder they aren't even bigger than they are.

I work with a guy that has a Queen Ranch and he won't haul anything cause it might scratch the bed.
He just likes the idea of having a truck.

Much of this applies to high end cars that have entry level cousins - now they need 18" rotors (and associated rims) to deal with the multi cooler beast under the hood ...

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Some like a big pick up truck for the same reason some people get tattoos.

They need the attention.

Some.

Not all.

Some of us own a truck for the capabilities. For example, I really needed the ability to trailer an antique car. With trailer, it's about 7,000#. My first choice for a new truck (to replace my much-loved 1990 Toyota 4 Runner) was the Tacoma. But the smaller pick up did not meet that minimum tow capability requirement. None of the smaller pick ups did.

As far as the utility of the 5.5 foot bed? I see that the detractors don't have a pickup in their signature. I bought the big cab so that I could use the truck for road trips, or other things besides towing. It's a balance. The 1794 Tundra has an awesome, luxurious, interior. So, the passenger capabilities are balanced with bed size (outsize cargo capability) while still delivering the towing I needed.

My initial vehicle choice was the Suburban. It tows enough and has the passenger room. But ultimately, we decided that we would be hauling stuff from the lumber yard (for my Woodworking projects) or to the machine shop (engine blocks) or to the dump more frequently than we would need space for more than five people. And you can't fit those things in the Suburban. And no, I don't want another trailer.

So, after all the consideration, all the pros and cons, and looking at the intended use, I bought a pickup with an extended cab.

For true luxury, I've got an S-class. For all around utility, and support of my hobbies (Woodworking, antique cars) I've got a pickup.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Queen Ranch

Haha that says it best!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Queen Ranch

Haha that says it best!
cheers3.gif

Well the Toyota T100 was a failure... right?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Some like a big pick up truck for the same reason some people get tattoos.

They need the attention.

Some people apparently like to mass generalize and judge people.

Originally Posted By: pacc
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Queen Ranch

Haha that says it best!
cheers3.gif

Well the Toyota T100 was a failure... right?

Yes, it was a sales disaster.

I hate my work truck. It is a 16 Chevy double cab short bed 4x4. I am 6'5" tall and this truck is way to tall. I can't reach very far into the bed and have a hard time reaching anything over the side of the bed. The interior is terrible. All the dumb molding takes up way to much of the cab. They make the front seats sit so far foreword to make up for the dumb rear configuration of the cab my knees hit the dash and head hits the roof. The front end on the thing is huge. It is a night and day difference getting in my 95.

I don't care what other people drive but the idiot are annoying sometimes. I have no idea how some of them can afford the payment.

Last edited:
The way the new vehicle purchasing trends are going in N.A. light trucks and SUV's will soon capture 50% of the market. This is an anathema to CAFE and will soon have the big three in a pickle unless something is drastically done to change consumer buying habits. I feel sorry for the Joe working class guy who just needs a reliable relatively inexpensive no frills pick up to go about his business. Seeing tricked out pick ups with over sized alloy wheels on low profile tires just makes me chuckle.

Originally Posted By: ndfergy
The way the new vehicle purchasing trends are going in N.A. light trucks and SUV's will soon capture 50% of the market. This is an anathema to CAFE and will soon have the big three in a pickle unless something is drastically done to change consumer buying habits. I feel sorry for the Joe working class guy who just needs a reliable relatively inexpensive no frills pick up to go about his business. Seeing tricked out pick ups with over sized alloy wheels on low profile tires just makes me chuckle.

Most of those Joes who do not need it, end up wanting and buying something much more tricked out than they need. You can order a no-frills truck (2wd, standard cab, base 6 cylinder engine), the kind that commercial fleets buy for a lot less than the tricked out ones. But they don't generally do this.

"Most of those Joes who do not need it, end up wanting and buying something much more tricked out than they need. You can order a no-frills truck (2wd, standard cab, base 6 cylinder engine), the kind that commercial fleets buy for a lot less than the tricked out ones. But they don't generally do this"

Small engines acting big with turbos, big engines acting small with cylinder deactivation one wonders what the real world fuel economy savings are when under load; not to mention all the complexity and problems associated with it. There used to be a commercial work package offered with just the bare necessities like vinyl seats and floors, steel wheels, AM radio etc that was cheaper than standard. Maybe there needs to be a reintroduction of said and a change in CAFE regulations for qualified owners.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
They'll stop getting bigger once they hit the 26000 lb GVWR threshold that requires a CDL
crazy2.gif

That's for a single vehicle. Also applies, for example, when a trailer with a GVWR of >10k is being used when the GCWR is >26k; pickups definitely exceed that threshold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back