Will pick up trucks ever stop getting bigger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Most of the "hauling" mentioned here can be done in a minivan, or a minivan with a small trailer.

Depends on the van - it's indeed doable in a Grand Caravan/Voyager, and the 2nd gen Odyssey/Sienna. My parents had a older Nissan Quest(the Ford-built version) and a 4x8 sheet of sheetrock barely clears the tailgate.

My only complaint on the size of new trucks is the depth of the bed makes it tough to load and unload over the side.

Both my wife and I drive pickups and we both use and love them. For us a vehicle that averages 21mpg, can seat six and tow and haul is infinitely practical.

They can be purchased for huge discounts off of MSRP. My truck was 12k off and my wife's was 10k. It would have cost more to buy her a comparably equipped midsize sedan than it was to buy her truck. Add to that far better resale and it's tough to beat...

The nice thing is that if you don't like em you don't have to drive one.

See my signature - was kidding - I don't buy big fancy trucks ...
Explorer is pretty well loaded - but makes it to the camp if it has not rained too much ...

Originally Posted By: gman2304
The guys who seem to be compensating for whatever reason, with lift kits, huge tires, loud mufflers, chips, and 'rollin coal', give the large pickup trucks a bad rap.

That's how it is out here in Arizona, the land of rednecks and neckbeards. I feel out of place with my Tacoma but it must be desirable because I always get people asking me to buy it or notes on the windshield asking to call them if I want to sell.

FWIW, in going from a 2004 F150 to a 2016 F150, both in Supercrew 5.5 box configurations.. The new truck is 8 inches longer, an inch wider, the same height, the same bed height, and the bed depth actually decreased 1" The decrease in bed height is very noticeable and appreciated.

Are they all getting bigger, taller, higher bed height, deeper bed depth? Not exactly...

And I have hauled up to 14' long boards with no issues with my 5.5 box. Stack shorter boards (like 10's or 12's) underneath, and counterweight the 14' with sandbags or other weight on the front of the bed. (and I've done 16' boards with my older 6.5' bed) I've hauled plenty of plywood and sheetrock too - with the tailgate down you are at nearly 8 feet.

Originally Posted By: funflyer
The guys who seem to be compensating for whatever reason, with lift kits, huge tires, loud mufflers, chips, and 'rollin coal', give the large pickup trucks a bad rap.

That's how it is out here in Arizona, the land of rednecks and neckbeards. I feel out of place with my Tacoma but it must be desirable because I always get people asking me to buy it or notes on the windshield asking to call them if I want to sell.

LOL! Same here, notes on windshield every now and then!

Most 3/4 ton and up trucks are used for what they were designed for....working.

THIS.....WELL SAID!
grin.gif

Last edited:
It was only a bit over a generation ago that the vast majority of pickups were standard cab and full 8 foot beds. Some trucks with a shorter bed (but still with only a standard cab) and even fewer trucks with the expanded cab were sold in those days.

Now days it not common to see to many trucks running around with a standard cab. Thus, the bed has been shortened on those trucks, otherwise it would be massively long with a ridiculous turning ratio. Today's drivers for the most part have given up the bed size in order to have the extended cab. What the consumer wants is what the consumer will get.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
I have hauled up to 14' long boards with no issues with my 5.5 box. Stack shorter boards (like 10's or 12's) underneath, and counterweight the 14' with sandbags or other weight on the front of the bed. (and I've done 16' boards with my older 6.5' bed) I've hauled plenty of plywood and sheetrock too - with the tailgate down you are at nearly 8 feet.

That's funny, people here act as if you can't move anything if it's not an 8' bed. It's a pretend-truck if it's not an 8' bed. Or if it's a half ton. Or if it's 4x4. Or a 6 cylinder. Or if it's ____.

21.gif

thumbsup2.gif

I see a lot of bros with lifted F250s who cringe about taking their trucks off road, a lot of those cost as much as a Range Rover. If you're going muddin' or hunting on the weekends, I have no issue in lifting a truck but it's funny when I see a lifted 2WD truck.

I remember the truck/SUV fad taking off some 25 years ago. I also remember the smug look on the faces of these guys driving these behemoths, enjoying their opulence. Back in the 60s and 70s, no girl would consider going out with a guy in their truck and be toted around like farm equipment.

Recently I saw a girl gush over one guy's new lifted crew cab 4WD and practically shed her skirt over it.

Before, the beds were just the right height to lift and load things onto the bed. Now farmers are complaining that the truck beds are too high. They're pretty much left out in the cold. Yes, there's been a big turnaround with these vehicles and now the suburban crowd is the driving force with lifted trucks.

Originally Posted By: nthach

thumbsup2.gif

I see a lot of bros with lifted F250s who cringe about taking their trucks off road, a lot of those cost as much as a Range Rover. If you're going muddin' or hunting on the weekends, I have no issue in lifting a truck but it's funny when I see a lifted 2WD truck.

In their defense, the purpose of 4WD in any large and heavy vehicle is to maintain traction when the vehicle is in adverse conditions. A true off-reader they are not.

When it comes to off-rold in my Rams, I tend to be very cautious, since I am completely aware of the fact that the physics of its design are all working against it at that moment.

Weight, length, and a long wheelbase are not allies. 4WD allows me to take the capabilities of my Rams further than they ought to, which is a very necessary thing at times. I have had to drag boats out of muddy fields, and pull my forklifts out of the sand and mud. Never have been my first choice for going recreational off roading. My WJ will run circles around either one in 2WD.

The main reason they are getting bigger, is that their capabilities are increasing. Higher payloads and towing capabilities require stronger frames and axles, bigger brakes to stop the mass, and bigger wheels that fit over those brakes, which means higher capacity larger tires, etc. etc.

Ford and Ram have pickups that are rated to tow in excess of 30k pounds. And they can do it. So-called 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton truck capabilities have also been increasing. Which means the trucks are made of larger, stronger components.

The manufacturers build what sells.

My 2015 Chevy 2500HD, instead of lifting it, I lowered the back 2" with a set of McGaughy's drop shackles. Thing looked like a cat in heat when it was stock. And now I can actually get in and out of the bed a lot easier to load and unload stuff. Still can throw in nearly a ton of stuff and the pickup is just level at that point. Still a bit of rake, but not so dramatic compared to stock. I took care of some of the rough riding, as I did what I do with my heavy commercial trucks.... got a copy of the tire load / pressure chart from the tire maker themselves and only run the pressures it recommends based on weight loading on the axles. Sooo much better ride and actually get a little better tire wear. The OEM recommended tire pressures in the door jam are if the pickup is at max gross weight. That doesn't happen a lot with me. Those pressures, nothing but a bone jarring ride when empty. There is a batch of reasons I went with a 3/4 ton as opposed to a 1/2 ton. No one is making a 1/2 ton that really piques my interest. And it all doesn't center around towing or hauling either.

Trucks aren't getting bigger. Compare specs of say a 1985 Ford F-350 and a 2015 Ford F-350. You will be surprised how close in size they really are. The size thing is just perception

Don

Car companies have been making cars larger despite not changing the name. It seems when Honda builds a new Civic, it is the size of an Accord from 10 years ago. They had to invent the Fit to fill the space of the previous Honda Civic.

Maybe it is time for truck manufacturers to make something the size of a Ford Ranger, but give it a new name.

Originally Posted By: supton
That's funny, people here act as if you can't move anything if it's not an 8' bed. It's a pretend-truck if it's not an 8' bed. Or if it's a half ton. Or if it's 4x4. Or a 6 cylinder. Or if it's ____.

I've joked before that in this province, you can't haul a utility trailer unless it's at least a 3/4 ton diesel doing the tow.
wink.gif

Due to small truck - I do lots of things with 8' lumber and tin etc ... but have the 5' x 10' hand built trailer if needed ...

Originally Posted By: Dadillac
Trucks aren't getting bigger. Compare specs of say a 1985 Ford F-350 and a 2015 Ford F-350. You will be surprised how close in size they really are. The size thing is just perception

Don

Maybe overall, but the noses are more view restrictive than the past. my '98 Chevy 2500 was far easier to see what's in front than my present '15 Chevy 2500. Just seems like the nose real estate has grown considerably so that now my 6.0L V8 in it looks like a base line V6 in a 1/2 ton. They could put a Cummins ISB inline 6 in there and still have room up front. I have a much better view of things out the front of my class 8 semi truck, with the air ride seat lowered to the floor, than I do my 3/4 ton Chevy with the adjustable height seat raised up. That is sad. Going down a road, all of this may not be an issue, but maneuvering around farm/ranch property or construction sites, it can make a big difference. I just keep thinking they are designing pickups more for those that suffer from little man syndrome than actually for those who's use for them is not to impress folks on the road, but actual productivity tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back