oil change indicator / oil change time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tell me if this seems quite right: my time for an oil change indicator chime and light comes on on the dashboard, at 4300 miles. Doesn't this seem too soon? Car had mix of highway and rural driving, very little idling during those miles (over 4 1/2 months of use).
I am wondering if perhaps the last reset I made after the previous oil change did not "take" and the system was coming on based on the mileage at the previous oil change, more like a total of 8500 miles ago?
The car is a 2013 Dodge Dart, with 2.0 engine, running Valvoline Syn-Power 0w-20 oil.
Thanks for any comments.

Was the indicator on when you reset it last? if not, it might not have taken. I've had that happen on my Jeep. Changed the oil before the light came on, did the reset procedure, then like 3k miles later the light came on. There is no way really to verify the reset took place. At least on my 2013 there is no oil life %, just the light/reminder when it thinks its due.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Send a sample to Blackstone. Anything else is blind guesswork.

+1 I am unsure if Chrylser's OLM is a timer or if it is something like GM has where it monitors aspects of the vehicle to determine oil quality. Without knowing about their OLM a Blackstone test is the only way to really know if your oil is good or not.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher

+1 I am unsure if Chrylser's OLM is a timer or if it is something like GM has where it monitors aspects of the vehicle to determine oil quality. Without knowing about their OLM a Blackstone test is the only way to really know if your oil is good or not.

From the Owner's Manual, it looks like a smart "Intelligent" oil life monitor algorithm calculates when to change the oil on 2013 Dodges:

from owner's manual:

MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE
Your vehicle is equipped with an automatic oil change indicator system. The oil change indicator system will remind you that it is time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance.

Based on engine operation conditions, the oil change indicator message will illuminate. This means that service is required for your vehicle. Operating conditions such as frequent short-trips, trailer tow, extremely hot or cold ambient temperatures, and E85 fuel usage will influence when the “Change Oil” message is displayed. Severe Operating Conditions can cause the change oil message to illuminate as early as 3,500 miles (5,600 km) since last reset. Have your vehicle serviced as soon as possible, within the next 500 miles (805 km).

Note: Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km) or twelve months, whichever comes first.

Last edited:
NAPA has UOA testing for less $$ than Blackstone and includes TBN.

I changed the oil the last two times on my Ford when the OLM said to. I have done a UOA each time. Once I get back the latest UOA I will determine the OCI going forward. First oil was Ford diesel rated oil. The Rotella T6. Next is a bypass filter when its warm out to climb under.

If it's an Intelligent OLM (which, according to what oil_film posted, it is) then it may be that the intelligent algorithm built into the iOLM has determined, based on the time, distance, and driving conditions that you've had over the past 4300 miles, that your oil is now due to be changed.

If it were me, I'd probably change the oil and do a UOA to see how accurate the iOLM has been, and then adjust your future OCI behavior accordingly.

^ This!! See my signature.

Originally Posted By: Donald

??????

A little more info, please!

OK.............. so I guess there's only about 5 minutes allowed to edit a post. How Weird.

O'Reilly's sells the Wix UOA kit for $18.99

Amazon has the same Wix kit for $17.72

I can't find it anywhere on the NAPA website

I wouldn't overthink it. If it were me, I would change it, and then see what the olm does next time. Has it been cold in your area? Have you done some short trips? I would think 4300 miles on an oil change is probably right in certain driving conditions. Your owner's manual says 3,500 miles would not be unusual.

Does the owners manual forbides conventional oil, recommends synthetic oil?

If you're running fully syn, it should still be ok.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ohle_Manezzini

I looked it up, and apparently 0W-20 is recommended for the 2.0, but they say 5W-20 is OK if 0W-20 isn't available. The 5W-40 was for the 1.4. I thought there was some funky Fiat (and Chrysler) spec, but it says an API rated 5W-40 works. Most would probably find a diesel-rated synthetic oil in 5W-40.

http://www.dodge.com/download/pdf/ug/201...load-button.y=9

Pretty sure 0W-20 is for fuel economy, although the OLM might be programmed for it since it's typically a longer life synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: Donald

??????

A little more info, please!

My local NAPA store sells them. Sometimes it takes a day to get them. They have NAPA logo.
They are listed in one of the NAPA guides they have at the store.

When you compare prices, make sure it has TBN. Blackstone charges extra for TBN I believe

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Originally Posted By: Ohle_Manezzini

I looked it up, and apparently 0W-20 is recommended for the 2.0, but they say 5W-20 is OK if 0W-20 isn't available. The 5W-40 was for the 1.4. I thought there was some funky Fiat (and Chrysler) spec, but it says an API rated 5W-40 works. Most would probably find a diesel-rated synthetic oil in 5W-40.

http://www.dodge.com/download/pdf/ug/201...load-button.y=9

Pretty sure 0W-20 is for fuel economy, although the OLM might be programmed for it since it's typically a longer life synthetic.

If the prefered oil is 0w20, the OLM is calibrated with syn in mind, Imo.

If the system needs to be reset, as this one does, it is GUESSING at the condition of your oil.

If sensors took measurements IN the sump the OLM could be trusted but otherwise how does he OLM know TBN or soot loading or oxidative thickening or shear? Answer: It doesn't.

So, send a sample to Blackstone for analysis. Compare the report to the OLM on the vehicle and use your data to change your OCI accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back