What oil did you use before BITOG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used the cheapest 10w40 I could find until a UK forum told me that UK VW dealers used Quantum Synta as their main oil so I used that until I found BITOG where I've used Redline ever since. Recently I've been toying with the idea of using Castrol Syntrans and the cheapest 502 on the VW approved list.

For me it was whatever the quick Oil Change Shops were putting in then I decided I was tired of paying $45 every time and just decided I should do it myself. Started reading here and have learned a lot. I am not loyal to any one brand but I am a little more knowledgeable about specifications and certification standards when choosing an oil.

I was a big-time Castrol user for 20 years. Then I started noticing varnish in my engione and on my dipstick.

Using my back-then Compaq Windows Me, I-then did an internet search on good vehicle oils and bobtheoilguy popped up. It took a while, for back then I was on dial-up internet.....lol

Bobtheoilguy also turned me on to high speed internet. Then a million other things I never knew beforehand.

So now, thanks to bobtheoilguy, I'm pretty smart.

I used to use Castrol GTX but now 100% Sopus or what Honda 0W20 i can get.

I have used Acura 0W20 back when it was Idemitsu IIRC that was great stuff.

On that note I like Amsoil and people still like the stuff.

As I refer people more and more for small service I'd like to have a few cases of SSO in my office 0W20 so they can do an Amsoil OCI but our Canadian Tires dropped Amsoil a year ago so I may need to make a few calls.

If anyone can send me some outdoor Amsoil stickers I am out, the last one is on my tool chest but it isn't really a good one almost like paper. Would love a few for the guys and maybe a really nice plasticized one for my laptop.

Last edited:
Before BITOG I took my car to the shop to have the oil changed. I got the synthetic oil change for $50, they used Castrol Edge 5w20 and Napa Pro Select filter. I gained the confidence to change the oil myself and started with Castrol, then used Pennzoil products, then flirted with TGMO and Mobil 1, then settled with Pennzoil Platinum for the Honda and Castrol for the VW. I feel those choices are best for the applications I use them in.

Advance Auto parts conventional 10W-30 and old style Delco filters, because that's what dad stocked. Then I started trying name brands. Valvoline, Pennzoil, some Havoline, then I became a Quaker State user around the time I joined here, and stayed pretty loyal to QS until the recent formula change. I was lost for awhile, did some research and decided SAE 30 is the best grade, 20W-50 second and 0W-40 third, and have become borderline obsessed with vintage green Kendall GT-1.

Originally Posted By: CT8
The same oil I used after BITOG.Mostly 30w or 40w depending upon application. The Major oil companies oils work well.

+1
smile.gif

before finding Bitog, I had the local Valvoline place do my oil changes. so bulk VWB/Maxlife(10w30 in a y2k Hyundai 2.4l that called for 5w30 on the cap) and Valvoline filters.
that car ALWAYS used at least a qt/1000mi, more if 5w was used.

Before: mostly Castrol Edge 10W-60 synthetic and Penrite HPR30 a 20W-60 mineral.

Now: I'm exploring thinner oils like SynPower 0W40 or Magnatec 10W30. Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4 is on my radar to try next.

Valvoline White Bottle with Pure One filter then Puro Boss on my old tacoma, when It came time to drain my factory fill on the new Nissan Frontier, Castorl 0w40 A3B4 euro with Fram Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back