M-Pro7 Gun Cleaner or Amsoil Firearm Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently using both of these to clean Glock and S&W pistols and I have to say it is a toss up as to which one is better. They both have a slightly different way of cleaning, but I have to admit both cut carbon/crud really well. A quick shot of either, then allow to soak for about 2-3 minutes and some action with an old toothbrush makes short work of the gunk. The Amsoil has an oil base so it provides some lubricant while it cleans versus M-Pro 7 which is water based. In some ways, Amsoil is a one stop shop whereas the MP7 requires a slight amount of lubrication after the cleaning. In the end, I think cost would be the deciding factor, but at the same time, they are almost identical on cost.

Anyone else use both and have some experiences to share?

I use the MP7 lube/clp as my primary oil lubricant (For the most part I'm a believer in grease for guns) but for me, plain ol' Breakfree CLP for the excess carbon and MP7 CLP for the lube and I won't run anything down the bore unless I'm putting it in storage for a while in which case I break out WD-40 LTCI (long term corrosion inhibitor). A working gun doesn't need to be white-glove clean.
I've gone at it like that for all my guns
Arsenal SLR107FR - 0 ever stoppages
Mosin - (never actually cleaned)
Mossberg 590A1 - 0 ever stoppages
PTR-91 - 0 ever stoppages
Arsenal Strike One 9mm - 0 ever stoppages
Glock 21 (Gen 4) - 0 ever stoppages
Tikka T3 (6.5x55) - 0 ever failures to fire
Mini 14 - broke the factory firing pin on the first ever round fired, no failures since

Have not tried using either. Been meaning to try the Amsoil stuff though. I like the idea of it leaving some lubricity behind. Thanks for posting your experience. I will get some the next time I order some oil.

That being said, I've used the MP7 cleaner and its just a waste of money. If you have a $2000 1911 you want to keep surgically clean, sure. but its cleaning ability is overkill for the price, same for the amsoil.

Originally Posted By: NissanHauler
That being said, I've used the MP7 cleaner and its just a waste of money. If you have a $2000 1911 you want to keep surgically clean, sure. but its cleaning ability is overkill for the price, same for the amsoil.
All of these pistols are my EDC at some point during the year and therefore, cost is not an issue and to be clear we are not talking about $50 an ounce. Though you may not feel the need to clean your firearms on a regular basis, I do, so to each his or her own.

Originally Posted By: NissanHauler
That being said, I've used the MP7 cleaner and its just a waste of money.

This !!! Currently $15 for 8 ounces on Amazon.

As an experiment, I bought a no name cleaner at Wal-Mart, in a nice 32 ounce spray bottle, for $1.49. It cleans just as good, for a fraction, and I mean a fraction of the cost of MPro-7 cleaner. It used to be half that price, but they jacked up the price. Rip Off!

For cleaning : 1/2 plain mineral oil + 1/2 Rubbing Alcohol(90% rating) with an old toothbrush .
Then spray the gun with CRC Non - Chlorinated Brake Cleaner (available from WM)and wipe clean with a rag .
If you like , Hoppes #9 down the bore followed by a thin coat of CLP .
Afterwards lube and corrosion protect with a CLP of your choice .

The above will save you some money - no need for fancy stand alone gun cleaners .

I use both and have the same experience as you. Since the Amsoil has oil mixed with the solvent I'll use it on the barrel only and after I use Mpro7 everywhere.

Since there's oil in the Amsoil aerosol cleaner I don't use it on the synthetic frames since I prefer to keep that oil free and I use the Amsoil oil where I want to put it on the proper spots.

I like the Amsoil oil slightly better than the Mpro7 CLP as an oil, I guess because the Amsoil gun oil is made for that single purpose.

I only bought one of the Amsoil aerosol cleaners but I have a 32 oz Mpro7, I probably will have that for a very long time.

I like WeaponShield over any other CLP or cleaner/solvent/whatever. Works great & has removed carbon/copper/lead that other cleaners have left behind

For a cleaner I use straight Kerosene with a 1" paint brush and old toothbrushes. It's gets out dirt, and dilutes and flushes away old lube. It's cheap, and it won't hurt plastic or wood finishes. Afterward a good blast with compressed air, and it completely clean and ready for lube.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I am currently using both of these to clean Glock and S&W pistols and I have to say it is a toss up as to which one is better. They both have a slightly different way of cleaning, but I have to admit both cut carbon/crud really well. A quick shot of either, then allow to soak for about 2-3 minutes and some action with an old toothbrush makes short work of the gunk. The Amsoil has an oil base so it provides some lubricant while it cleans versus M-Pro 7 which is water based. In some ways, Amsoil is a one stop shop whereas the MP7 requires a slight amount of lubrication after the cleaning. In the end, I think cost would be the deciding factor, but at the same time, they are almost identical on cost.

I'm believing you are oiling the gun after cleaning with Amsoil. Hence, we all do.
So since Amsoil cleaner has non-petroleum oil in it's cleaner, then you should be using a non-petroleum oil afterwards.

Are you?

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD

I'm believing you are oiling the gun after cleaning with Amsoil. Hence, we all do.
So since Amsoil cleaner has non-petroleum oil in it's cleaner, then you should be using a non-petroleum oil afterwards.

Are you?
On this round of cleaning, I used Amsoil gun lube, but I also have G96. I typically flush all of the gun cleaner away with non-chlorinated brake cleaner so no gun cleaner is left prior to lubing.

Originally Posted By: mehullica
I like WeaponShield over any other CLP or cleaner/solvent/whatever. Works great & has removed carbon/copper/lead that other cleaners have left behind
I will have to give it a try as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back