Favourite parts cleaner

What’s your favourite parts cleaner for greasy bolts when disassembling stuff like oil pans. I find of you don’t clean the bolts there’s a risk they may have some grit on them when it comes time to screw back in. I used to soak them In a container of Varsol.

9EE41868-4257-460B-A190-6805ECA48886.jpeg

Last edited:
Small stuff that comes off, gasoline - far more often than not. Doesn't really make sense to me to use anything more expensive, that takes more storage, that I have less of, takes longer out of my way to acquire, etc. It'll cut through grease well, without evaporating as quickly as brake clean so if I have some scrubbing to do, I haven't created a huge toxic cloud in the mean time, tho' I do still use it in a ventilated area.

Plus I usually use old gas that I would have had to dispose of otherwise, like that got dumped out of a 2 cycle trimmer at end of season. I keep a can labeled "dirty gas", and can strain it through a scrap t-shirt/whatever as needed, dumping into a parts washing tub.

If the part is something plastic and I don't want any residue at all on it, I might use gasoline first (depends on what it is) or just hot detergent solution instead, though for electronics/sensors, brake clean or electrical contact cleaner (depends on the situation). Brake pads themselves only get brake clean.

For fasteners and other small stuff, I prefer to use something that doesn't require drying or leaving residue; brake cleaner, starting fluid, lacquer thinner. Put the bolts in a container (usually a glass beaker), pour in solvent, swish the parts around and let dry on blue shop towels.

What’s your favourite parts cleaner for greasy bolts when disassembling stuff like oil pans. I find of you don’t clean the bolts there’s a risk they may have some grit on them when it comes time to screw back in. I used to soak them In a container of Varsol.

View attachment 212381
I disagree with the article - Varsol smells great!! 🤪

Brake clean if real wet and/or wire wheel on bench grinder if more like gunk/putty

For fasteners and other small stuff, I prefer to use something that doesn't require drying or leaving residue;

For fasteners I want a residue left behind. If my dirty gas doesn't have sufficient oil/grease content, I'll put a light coat on after cleaned. The exception is if the fastener needs threadlock, don't want a trace of lube keeping that from doing its job.

Gasoline for a quantity of bolts. Gasoline for pretty much anything that's just metal. Plastic coffee 'cans' work great for this purpose (like Folgers or Maxwell House are sold in). A metal one if you can find one these days that is actually metal, and not metalized cardboard. You can store the leftover 'cleaning gas' in the can with the lid on to use later. It'll last forever unless you don't seal it well and it evaporates. An old toothbrush works great for scrubbing small bolts and won't tear up your fingertips. A quick spritz with brake cleaner or some rubbing alcohol will remove any oily residue if you need them clean-clean for Loc-Tite application.

This has been my go-to method for 30+ years now.

Back