Short tripper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advice needed on one of my vehicles used only for short and slow trips. Vehicle is a 2010 model Holden Commodore with the 3.6 liter V6 sidi motor. This is a direct injection motor. Manual calls for 12 month or 15000 Kim services, whichever occurs first. I have had the vehicle since new, and have until now followed the service schedule with the local dealer performing all services. Not sure what oil is used, but the manual gives several options.

The car is a work vehicle, and has travelled less than 8000 kilometers. It can sometimes sit for over a week between uses, and other times is used several times a week. Never driven very far.

We get no cold weather here in central Queensland, Australia at all, so the winter rating of any oil is no real consideration. I would like opinions on how long it is safe to go between oil changes and services, given that the vehicle travels such short distances. Are any oils more suitable than others to leave in the sump for longer periods? We are all looking to save money and down time, so if I can have the vehicle serviced every second or third year instead of every year that is at least something.

Thanx in advance

8000km in 7 years? Jeez.

Well, I'd get a synthetic with a high TBN and change it every couple years. Just make sure you get it up to operating temperature before putting it up for a while.

Originally Posted By: jayg

Well, I'd get a synthetic with a high TBN and change it every couple years. Just make sure you get it up to operating temperature before putting it up for a while.

Hi OP,
Welcome mate.

If you want to extend you oil changes, pretty much what Jayg says above. You want a full synthetic oil, a 5W30 for that car I believe, and it should be Euro ACEA A3/B4 rated. This ensures it's a high quality and stable oil, with a high TBN to fight acid buildup.

Some good local examples are:
- Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4, the top shelf castrol product
- Castrol Magnatec 5W30 "Stop-Start" a full synthetic SN and A3/B4 oil
- Shell Helix HX8 5W30, another full synthetic SN and A3/B4 oil

There was a recent thread comparing the Castrol Magnatec and the Edge in Australia. Both are excellent. I believe right now the Magnatec Stop-Start is on sale at a good price.

Quote:

In Australia, Castrol Magnatec 5W30 "Stop-Start" is a full synthetic oil that is rated API SN and ACEA A3/B4. Our Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4 is a full synthetic that is rated API SL and ACEA A3/B4. The Edge also meets many OEM specs like BMW LL-01 and MB 229.5.

If you consult the Castrol Edge PDS (here)

It clearly states that the Edge meets all the quality requirements of API SN, but is classified as SL due to elevated zinc / Phos levels. This is because under SN rules the Phos levels are restricted for ILSAC grade (20 & 30 weight) oils. The extra Phos comes from the extra ZDDP (zinc) anti-wear agent in the Edge.

The Edge has about 1000 ppm Zinc, while the Magnatec has about 800 ppm Zinc.

To me, this makes the Edge A3/B4 the better product. But I have both at home, and I consider both to be excellent oils.

Castrol Magnatec 5W30 "Stop-Start" is currently on sale at Supercheap Auto for $28.59 for 5L The regular price is just over $50, so this is a good deal on a full synthetic A3/B4 oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back