2016 Fiesta ST with upgraded turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. I will soon be upgrading the turbo on my 2016 Ford Fiesta ST and have heard multiple sources say it would be a good idea to upgrade to a thicker viscosity oil.

Ford calls for 5W-20 in these cars, but many people seem to prefer 5W-30 or even 5W-40.

Right now I'm using Mobil1 5W-20 and so far so good. This is still a vehicle that will be driven every day, and the turbo is only a bit larger than stock so not massive.

Last edited:
I'd step up to xW-30 too
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
How will you be tuning for the larger turbo?

What power level increase are you expecting?

Going from roughly 220whp to 280ish whp.

Custom tune using the Cobb Accessport device. Going to be using a mix of 92 octane and ethanol for an E30 mix.

Originally Posted By: Matt_V

Custom tune using the Cobb Accessport device. Going to be using a mix of 92 octane and ethanol for an E30 mix.

Who is tuning you? E-tune or dyno? I'd ask them what they think, but don't be surprised if they know jack and shh about oil .

with that power boost I'd be going a grade higher and as robust as possible .

If you get 280hp thats a pretty good jump in power(over 27% more) thats putting extra stress on the main and rod bearings. I would jump up to a 0/40 or 5/40 oil. I doesn't matter what oil you use just putting around on the street, its when your having fun on a track that you want more protection. Even on the street it only takes a few seconds to destroy the bearings.

ROD

Some people will swear by the recommended spec but it's fairly common for upgraded power mods to also go a higher viscosity. It's turbo and DI and you're going to be running an ethanol mix.

M1 0w40 is a good choice if you get it cheap where you live. It's close to a thicker 30 grade.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Do you have lead foot syndrome?
( you know what i mean )

Honestly my driving habits are moderate. I occasionally go full throttle but drive pretty tame on my daily commute.

Who is tuning you? E-tune or dyno? I'd ask them what they think, but don't be surprised if they know jack and shh about oil .

with that power boost I'd be going a grade higher and as robust as possible .

It is an E-tune.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KL31
Some people will swear by the recommended spec but it's fairly common for upgraded power mods to also go a higher viscosity. It's turbo and DI and you're going to be running an ethanol mix.

M1 0w40 is a good choice if you get it cheap where you live. It's close to a thicker 30 grade.

M1 0w-40 looks great but the high SAPS rating of 1.34 compared to the 0.85 of the 5W-20 has me concerned as these DI engines are known for carbon build up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back