Yahoo Was Hacked In 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
I received and email from Yahoo stating that many accounts were hacked in 2013. This is a different one than the one in Sept. 2016 and seems to be serious if you have used your real personal info. Hopefully no one uses Yahoo for anything more than a casual email account or for their fantasy sports stuff. The hack was detected by "law enforcement" and involves an unknown entity...

My notification Email, they couldn't even to manage to end a word on the same line.

Very hard to read.

I think it was 2013 that I had to email everybody on my Yahoo address book to delete that email, and never again open an email supposedly from me on that address, and to not mail me at that address.

The few that continued to email me there would get spam e mail.

I kept Yahoo as a home screen, until a few days ago. I got so sick of the clickbait oriented towards Females listed as News and then any news story I did click on, would only give one a paragraph before requiring one click to another link.

Giant Middle finger to Yahoo, its execs, marketing team, and whomever decided what 'news' articles were to appear on the homepage. Contemptible on each and every level.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
People still use Yahoo?

+1.

I quit using Yahoo years ago. They just don't seem to have there systems buttoned up. The company itself just doesn't feel solid and just gives me a bad feeling.

Switched to Gmail. Feel much better.

Russians now have all your personal information...
45.gif

Originally Posted By: Throt
People still use Yahoo?

+1.

I quit using Yahoo years ago. They just don't seem to have there systems buttoned up. The company itself just doesn't feel solid and just gives me a bad feeling.

Exactly, Marissa Mayer prancing around in her tight little skirt is only interested padding her millions, not client security.. That would cost money

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
People still use Yahoo?

+1.

Exactly, Marissa Mayer prancing around in her tight little skirt is only interested padding her millions, not client security.. That would cost money

The best Ms Mayer could do at the helm of Yahoo was to sell it to Verizon. This is the same lady who told employees they could no longer work from home and had a nursery built next to her office for her new baby.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
This is a different one than the one in Sept. 2016

No it is the same one. The hack happened in 2013, but Yahoo did not bother to tell anyone until Sept 2016.

People still use Yahoo?

+1.

Gmail is more solid but I feel more and more uneasy about them harvesting data and key words from literally every email I send.

Still have my Yahoo Address from 1999, though I barely use it now.

Pretty much all the email adresses now can be taken one way or the other...

When my yahoo was first stolen/hacked and spammed everybody in my address list, I could not even find an option for deleting the entire account anywhere.

Still can't.

Guess they really take pride in that 'Billion account' figure.

I am not comfortable with google tracking/ data harvesting either.

Also uncomfortable with these devices like Alexa or the similar google device listening to everything said when I visit homes with them.

Guess there is no privacy at all anymore, when these devices are around.

I don't know about you but my information gets compromised by an insurance company, university, employer, OPM, etc at least once a year. If your information is worth having, the people who want it already have it. A yahoo breech three years ago is the least of my concern. The only thing anyone can do is take offensive measures to protect your information. Change your passwords often, and pay for a credit monitoring service.

Wife still uses them.

Until companies are held criminally liable for not protecting data properly this will continue on. Many companies simply don't want to pay the appropriate rated for cyber experts and correcting faults. A friend who is retired military who held this job now makes $600k/year in civilian sector gives me the skinny.

People still use Yahoo?

Yeah. It's just a mail system, nothing more and not really much different from any other...

I only mentioned this because the hacks were from 2013 when some former users may have still have used accounts...

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Russians now have all your personal information...
45.gif

Not if you don't actually put up personal information...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
This is a different one than the one in Sept. 2016

No it is the same one. The hack happened in 2013, but Yahoo did not bother to tell anyone until Sept 2016.

No. It isn't:

Originally Posted By: Yahoo Email
What Happened?
Law enforcement provided Yahoo in November 2016 with data files that a third party claimed was Yahoo user data. We analyzed this data with the assistance of outside forensic experts and found that it appears to be Yahoo user data. Based on further analysis of this data by the forensic experts, we believe an unauthorized third party, in August 2013, stole data associated with a broader set of user accounts, including yours. We have not been able to identify the intrusion associated with this theft. We believe this incident is likely distinct from the incident we disclosed on September 22, 2016.

Facts are your friend...

I also got the Email from Yahoo this a.m. I only use my Yahoo e-mail for things that I don't want cluttering up my Gmail like stores and such.

Originally Posted By: Yahoo Email
What Happened?
Law enforcement provided Yahoo in November 2016 with data files that a third party claimed was Yahoo user data. We analyzed this data with the assistance of outside forensic experts and found that it appears to be Yahoo user data. Based on further analysis of this data by the forensic experts, we believe an unauthorized third party, in August 2013, stole data associated with a broader set of user accounts, including yours. We have not been able to identify the intrusion associated with this theft. We believe this incident is likely distinct from the incident we disclosed on September 22, 2016.

If that's the case, then people that already changed their password due to the Sep 2016 disclosure should also be good for the Nov 2016 disclosure. I've got a Yahoo email account, but never really use it. Never got any kind of email from Yahoo associated with the latest hack disclosure.

After the Sep 2016 disclosure I went in and changed my password and setup their two-step security verification process. When I logged in last night, Yahoo had to send a 5 digit security code to my cell phone so I could log on. Someday all this security breaching [censored] is going to get so bad that a verification process for every log-on will probably become the norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back