Ford 601 has 5 psi oil pressure at idle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the 8N's used to run with LOW pressure, but I believe I should be getting 20 psi at idle.

Perhaps a new oil pump? I've heard some old timer saying that the pressure relief spring is adjustable, and sludge can cause problems.

This tractor was not used much, just sitting mostly. I really don't want to put it under a load until I am comfortable with the oil pressure.

Last edited:
Loose bearings or fuel diluted oil is more likely the culprit than the oil pump. However it will probably run forever with idle pressure of 5 psi. Above an idle if it has 10psi/1000 rpm I'm sure it will be fine.

Originally Posted By: fields
Try changing the oil to a straight weight 30.

Not in IL in the winter. A straight weight 30 could result in a blown engine in the winter.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Originally Posted By: fields
Try changing the oil to a straight weight 30.

Not in IL in the winter. A straight weight 30 could result in a blown engine in the winter.
Not true. I've done that and didn't blow the engine.

All these old tractors ran on straight grades for the first 50 years of their lives ...

But I'd be onto 15W-40 and a can of BG109 as a first round treatment.

I've had tractors run well with 3 psi hot at idle ...

Single digit oil pressure is not all that unusual on old tractors. Where did you read you should have 20PSI at idle?

My Lake Erie boat had a Detroit 6V71 in it for the first 30 years of its life. The engine had a few thousand hours on it and always ran 4 PSI at warm idle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back