Bought a new car need some input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a 2011 Chrysler Town and country. 48000 miles with the 3.6 liter. The oil cap says 5w-30. What oil and filter should I run?
Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
Can you get oe filters at a reasonable price? Is there a synthetic or other oil requirement?

My first advice is to do regular transmission fluid & filter changes on that vehicle. If that was my vehicle, I'd run Pennzoil yellow bottle 5W30 and a Fram Tough Guard oil filter.

Dexos approved for starters. That will be a synthetic or blend oil meeting Dexos requirements. Stay with 5w30. I assume you have no idea what oil has been run in the past or what is in it now. I'd pick either a QS or Pennzoil to go in. Really though any Dexos approved oil will work for you. Also consider changing all fluids in the car. If it is liquid and runs down hill it comes out and fresh goes in. I'm just that kind of guy when it comes to cars coming home with me. Then maybe it might be the wrong time of year to do that if you are running frigid temps outside and there is no garage to work in.

Any non-high mileage Pennzoil, Mobil, Quaker State, or Valvoline synthetic or blend (all available at Wal Mart) should be at least as good as what the OLM is calibrated for. How's it going to be used?

Not sure what OCI set for. It's say 8000 in the owners manual. I'm still at the dealership. Just killing some time.

Also I never had a cartridge oil filter what brand should I go with?

OE, WIX, Hengst (if they cover it), Mann (if they cover it). Se what Rockauto has for your vehicle.

Additional parts from the same warehouse will keep shipping prices down. Don't forget to use the 5% discount codes found here in the sales and rebates section. You enter them in the "How did you hear about us?" box.

Originally Posted By: Kira
OE, WIX, Hengst (if they cover it), Mann (if they cover it). Se what Rockauto has for your vehicle.

Additional parts from the same warehouse will keep shipping prices down. Don't forget to use the 5% discount codes found here in the sales and rebates section. You enter them in the "How did you hear about us?" box.

Get some Wix filters at Rockauto.com. I have a 2015 Grand Caravan and use a Wix Filter and Pennzoil Platinum in mine (5w-20). I used 5w-30 last winter on my first OCI after dumping the factory fill.

The filters were around $5 a piece before shipping.

Last edited:
Doesn't it have an oil life monitor? That 8,000 mi. sounds realistic (on the high end) but it should have a monitor that, if reset when the oil is changed, will show a message on the dash when it wants the oil changed. If you prefer to change at a set mileage (as I do) 7,500 mi. should be a good interval unless it sees primarily short trip, stop-and-go driving, in which case 5K is more than adequate. A Mopar brand filter will best preserve your warranty should it need any engine work, but I trust Wix and there are other good brands, as well.

Last edited:
As its a new vehicle to you, I'd advise draining all fluids and replacing with anything that meets the spec in the OM as a short cleaning cycle. Then, you can drain again, filling with the specified type/grade in your own preferred brand.

maxlife and redline are always safe bets.

Originally Posted By: MRtv
Dexos approved for starters. That will be a synthetic or blend oil meeting Dexos requirements. Stay with 5w30. I assume you have no idea what oil has been run in the past or what is in it now. I'd pick either a QS or Pennzoil to go in. Really though any Dexos approved oil will work for you. Also consider changing all fluids in the car. If it is liquid and runs down hill it comes out and fresh goes in. I'm just that kind of guy when it comes to cars coming home with me. Then maybe it might be the wrong time of year to do that if you are running frigid temps outside and there is no garage to work in.

Why exactly would a chrysler product require dexos?

If its a "better" spec than what Chrysler requires, ok, but there are possibly other "better" specs besides that.

Seems to me I see Mopar filters in a number of stores including wal mart. Given that to be the case, not sure that he can do much better.

The MS Chrysler spec is easy to hit. Honest to God I'd not overthink it. Cheapest name brand 5w30. They later changed the spec to 20w. Maybe at an attempt to bandaid the issue of head cracking. They can crack no matter what oil or weight is issued however.

Chrysler bought back my 2014 Wrangler at 18K miles after the 3.6's cylinder head cracked. Pentastars have been revised and yet they can still do it. Symptom is a rough idle though it sometimes take a while for it to throw a code. They make great power but it's a roll of the dice.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back