JEEP WINDOWS NOT WORKING

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have had a 1997 jeep grand cherokee for almost 2 years and ever since I got it the power windows, locks and almost every other control doesn't work on the driver master switch. The only thing that works is the mirror adjuster, and the power lock for the one door only. The Passenger door works perfectly fine, and can lock all the other doors. I need some advice on how to diagnose this. This is what I know, the window regulator works tested 3 times, the switch isn't broken (tested 3 switches), I have tested all the wires in the boot from the door to the car and still nothing. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

YOU BROKE A WIRE INTERNALLY IN THE HINGE AREA

sorry my caps lock was stuck

but it sure seems like a power or ground even though you say no. If 99 strands of wire broke and 1 remains it won't pass current to make anything work but still show voltage on a digital volt meter.

I have a '96 Grand Cherokee and had a problem with the windows working intermittently several years ago. It was the switch assembly/control module box in the driver's door. I had a problem recently with this again and it turned out to be a cracked fuse (after 20 years and 256K miles).

Check the simple stuff first - any fuses and relays related to these functions (passenger side kick panel and box under the hood - look in the owner's manual). As eljefino said, the wires between the door and the body can also break. Mine hasn't had a problem here but my father-in-law's 2004 Grand Cherokee has had broken wires there multiple times.

Good luck - post back with what you find.

Andrew S.

On my father-in-law's 2004 it was as simple as pulling the rubber boot back on the wiring harness between the door and car body to expose the wires. The broken wire was inside the boot. I repaired it by soldering in a new piece of wire to splice the broken pieces together. That fixed his windows.

This:

Originally Posted By: eljefino
YOU BROKE A WIRE INTERNALLY IN THE HINGE AREA

sorry my caps lock was stuck

but it sure seems like a power or ground even though you say no. If 99 strands of wire broke and 1 remains it won't pass current to make anything work but still show voltage on a digital volt meter.

Originally Posted By: taztheman
How would I go about finding the interally broken wire?

Visual inspection. This is a common problem on that model. Usually where the wire bundle bends into the door; check to see where it flexes when you open and close and you should be able to locate the wire or wires that are having an issue.

Last edited:
I don't know if this helps, but when i take the switch off the connector I can put a wire from the negative and the postive of the connector and put it to the slots for the window reg, making it work fine. So does that mean it is a switch issue?

Originally Posted By: taztheman
I don't know if this helps, but when i take the switch off the connector I can put a wire from the negative and the postive of the connector and put it to the slots for the window reg, making it work fine. So does that mean it is a switch issue?

It's unclear; by doing that you are bypassing both the switch and the wiring to the switch so can't be sure without more testing. But at least the regulator has been proven good!

The boot in the doorjam has 3 broken wires. I have tried to fix them but I don't know if I am not getting enought connection or what. But the wires that are broken are missing about half an inch to an inch of wire? It looks like someone has fixed it before too. Any help on how to fix the broken wires. Thanks

Maybe some of these links will help: https://www.google.com/search?q=jeep+cherokee+broken+door+wires&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I would not use wire nuts that are shown in one Youtube video. PROPER crimping or competent soldering/shrink tubing is better.

Good luck. It looks to be a simple and inexpensive repair.

Agree with this below....buy another brand that has demonstrated no issues.. Honda?, Toyota?, maybe a GM or Ford?.....Kia/Hyundai?....VW?....BMW??? LOL. ...Maybe a Subie??
Quote:
You've already figured it out. It's a JEEP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back