Changed the oil yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed the oil in the Accord yesterday.

Used Rotella T6 5W-40 and a Fram Ultra XG7317. Also (finally) adjusted the passenger headlight to be level with the driver side - put new headlights in it back in September. Put some under hood plastics back on. Put a new AEM DryFlow filter on my short ram intake with a new filterbag. Old filter was a cheap one that came with the otherwise top notch quality intake I bought.

Couple of weeks ago the old Accord got two new quick struts in the rear and a beautiful used set of Cooper Weathermasters.

Car has approx 114,500 miles now.

Ready for winter over here.

Not a big deal but I was thinking the same.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
OK, I'll bite.

5W-40 for the winter in car that calls for 5W-20 year round? Why?

shouldn't your passenger's side headlight be just a little higher than drivers? or is this model different than others?

on edit:
the drivers a little lower than passengers, so not to blind on coming

Last edited:
K24s seem to love to consume oil. Ever since I switched to Rotella I use maybe a half to quarter of a quart per 5,000 miles. Down from a quart every 2,000 miles.

Plus when I put this old girl up into 6-7k RPM range, it seems a lot smoother.

Yes I drive hard. I like to party.

Yeah, but this is a "feel good" thread - well done
smile.gif

And the Rotella is 5W at outside temps, so thin enough ...

Last edited:
OK, I'll bite.

Perhaps it's a big time oil dripper and burner!

I would just use an 0w30 in winter and a 5w40 in summer.

No one in the EU or UK seems to use an Xw20 to chase every fraction of a fuel economy percentage point unless the have a hybrid petrol job.

C= Companies
A = Are
F = Forced
E = EPA garbage so they can sell the SUV's and light trucks folks drive here ...

OK, I'll bite.

Why not?

The K24 sure doesn't hate it. Loves it. There is absolutely any adverse effects that I can find. Even fuel economy is good.

Went from Blasdell/Buffalo to Erie, PA a week ago with some friends for some Chick-Fil-A. With four people in the car, got an average 34mpg.

After seeing how the European Hondas call for just about anything under the sun, I gave up any reservations. Rotella T6 is great.

I assume you've tried replacing the PCV? I haven't yet on my 100K K24 Element, but I probably will some time soon. My Element doesn't seem to lose any oil over an ~8k OCI.

Originally Posted By: redhat
The K24 sure doesn't hate it. Loves it. There is absolutely any adverse effects that I can find. Even fuel economy is good.

Went from Blasdell/Buffalo to Erie, PA a week ago with some friends for some Chick-Fil-A. With four people in the car, got an average 34mpg.

After seeing how the European Hondas call for just about anything under the sun, I gave up any reservations. Rotella T6 is great.
I think you're on solid ground with T6.

I'm surprised that thick oil is able to squeeze itself into the bearings. Alotta guys say a 30 or 40 weight won't fit into a 20 weight specified engine. Maybe the Honda has an extra strong oil pump that's able to force the oil in there.

Rotella is on the thin side of 40 last time I checked. So he's using an almost 30 grade in a car that exclusively uses 30 in places outside murica.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I'm surprised that thick oil is able to squeeze itself into the bearings. Alotta guys say a 30 or 40 weight won't fit into a 20 weight specified engine. Maybe the Honda has an extra strong oil pump that's able to force the oil in there.

Haha

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Also the nooks and crannies are different on an engine that specs a 20 oil.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Feels good, doesn't it?

Yes it does! Now going to Carwell for the yearly spray this Friday. All set for winter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back