Goodyear Wrangler SRA's dangerous when wet

Status
Not open for further replies.
May be it is time for my lecture on OE tires?

The Goodyear RSA is primarily an OE tire - and OE tires are designed by the vehicle manufacturer - that is, the amount of grip, vs treadwear vs rolling resistance is decided by the vehicle manufacturer, not the tire manufacturer. So it is not a surprise to hear that there are lots of complaints about the tire.

But that is true of any OE tire, regardless of brand.

Very seldom have I kept my OEM truck tires on anything but Craigslist -(have not bothered with Hankook, roll to curb) strangely enough the last set I wore down to 59k (had good tread even then, but gravel road chew) was on a 2005 GMC 4WD - they were Goodyear Wrangler AT's ... I ordered the truck and selected the AT ... think it was $300 more back then ?
You can also do swaps with a good dealer ...

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
May be it is time for my lecture on OE tires?

The Goodyear RSA is primarily an OE tire - and OE tires are designed by the vehicle manufacturer - that is, the amount of grip, vs treadwear vs rolling resistance is decided by the vehicle manufacturer, not the tire manufacturer. So it is not a surprise to hear that there are lots of complaints about the tire.

But that is true of any OE tire, regardless of brand.

True, but GY has issues in aftermarket tires too.
I had two sets of GY Eagle. After 15K they got out of balance, and could not balance them anymore. I get Dunlop (I was very loyal Good Year customer, especially since I used their winter tires in Europe for 15 years, and they were truly state of the art. Unfortunately we do not here their Euro winter tires). Same issue with Dunlop, which made me think that Dunlop SP I had and Eagle are basically have same structure.

Sumitomo owned Dunlop from 1985-1999, then partnered with Goodyear so Dunlop US and European stuff is now Goodyear and rest of world Sumitomo. GY Eagle GT hp a/s were great new but out of round half tread in 10K mi. The GY Really Sh**** Adhesion on many VWs and others and aftermarket versions are generally reviled everywhere. GY has no tire in the top half of customer satisfaction surveys save for the F1 Asymmetric/2.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/reviews/MenuServlet?search=surveyComments

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gary
Sumitomo owned Dunlop from 1985-1999, then partnered with Goodyear so Dunlop US and European stuff is now Goodyear and rest of world Sumitomo. GY Eagle GT hp a/s were great new but out of round half tread in 10K mi. The GY Really Sh**** Adhesion on many VWs and others and aftermarket versions are generally reviled everywhere. GY has no tire in the top half of customer satisfaction surveys save for the F1 Asymmetric/2.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/reviews/MenuServlet?search=surveyComments

Yeah I know. IDK what is the deal with them. Also, in EU they have some of the best winter tires, and they had for two decades winter tires constantly being number one on tests, and in mid 2000 they just dropped the ball.
I had their Ultra Grip 4, 5, 6, 7 and 7+, and they were defying laws of physics in snow and ice. After hat, Continental just took over the winter tire game in Europe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back