How tight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I probably do. I don't go crazy when I tighten in by hand, but I am probably closer to the 1 turn after gasket contact.
On the car I have been able to get it off by hand, the truck I need a wrench, mainly because it is hard to get a good grip on.

Well this world champion typing this had successfully WAY overtightened a Fram Ultra in my Altima last yr. I guess it was at least 1 full turn past gasket contact. Well trying to get it off proved quite difficult. I could not even get it to budge the first time I tried to get it off. I wore two large blisters on my right hand trying. The second go round I felt I may have loosened it just a tiny bit. Third go round it finally broke free. I have only done it that bad one other time. So 2 times out of say 80 isn't too bad I guess
smile.gif

Last edited:
I have small hands, but i tighten them and tight as possible by hand, then just a nudge with a filter wrench. No problems getting them off.

Every year I promised to not over tighten the filter and every year when I came to take the filter off it seemed far far tighter than it needed to be. No way did I ever think of tightening with a strap wrench, just moderately hand tight and still it was always a pig to remove. I did this for 30 years so either I'm a slow learner or the rubber gasket is designed to swell on contact with oil.

Happily this little game is over now as I have car that takes a bare cartridge filter inside an easily removed cover.

Another 1/2 turn by hand guy. With an oiled gasket. I have yet to have one leak. A full turn or more often leads to difficulty in removal. The Rat came to me with an oil filter cranked on tight. Typical Ford, it is hard to get at. No clearance to use a screw driver even. I bought a 10$ wrench and now it hangs on a nail after only one use. I think bolts and fixtures on an engine tend to get tighter over time .
grin2.gif

I've always gone by the instructions, 3/4 turn past contact. I use a wrench every time, because that makes it easier.
The GM LS engines you only have like 1/2 of the side of the filter to grab onto. The most important thing of all is making sure the old o-ring didn't get left behind! Have had it happen many times, and have checked ever since I had one stick 35 years ago.

A trick I learned.

Always have some gritty sand paper in your workshop.

When you get the filter spun on by hand, snug it up using a piece of gritty sandpaper in your hand, and you can get it pretty tight.

On our Toyota, I have gotten lazy and just purchased the fram filters with the textured bottom, so I can get them on tight by hand.

I used to have issues with Fram filters on my Ford's, with startup knock, but nothing like that on my Matrix.

On the Sonata, I use OEM Hyundai filters, and snug it up with a piece of sand paper.

Always verify the old gasket is not on the block, and always lube the new gasket with some oil on your finger.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Hand tight plus 1/8-1/4 turn with a wrench, that seems to be working for me since the mid 70's. My 3.6L Pentastar cartridge filter cap, 100 inch pounds.

This is what I do just to verify it's actually tight and not just my oily hands slipping. Never a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back