Office Christmas parties...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our Christmas party last year was great!
Lots of great food, drinks, live band.
Everyone was to bring a joke gift to exchange, so I wrapped up a used oil filter!
It got a lot of laughs, but what was really funny......
I received a broken Craftsman 1/2 in. drive ratchet.
The next day I took it to Sears and they gave me a brand new one!
Later, when I told the guy that brought it what I did, the look on his face was priceless!
banana2.gif

I miss the good old days.

Everyone would get torn up, steal the silverware, dance on the tables, and then fight with the co-worker that was married to their ex-wife.

Then everyone would stagger out to their cars and drive home.

Life was so much simpler then.

Originally Posted By: BalticBob
Our Christmas party last year was great!
Lots of great food, drinks, live band.
Everyone was to bring a joke gift to exchange, so I wrapped up a used oil filter!
It got a lot of laughs, but what was really funny......
I received a broken Craftsman 1/2 in. drive ratchet.
The next day I took it to Sears and they gave me a brand new one!
Later, when I told the guy that brought it what I did, the look on his face was priceless!
banana2.gif

hehehe, a true BITOG-er

now , next time coax somebody to drink a pint of oil.......

We used to have a bowling party for ours, but lately it's been too difficult to get people to come...I think this year our Christmas party will be sometime in January, and it'll be at a micro-brew/restaurant...

My previous employer picked a Friday in December, closed the offices at 11:00, catered lunch, gave out bonus checks, and let everybody go early. Now THAT is a holiday party that no one complained about and everyone attended!

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
I miss the good old days.

Everyone would get torn up, steal the silverware, dance on the tables, and then fight with the co-worker that was married to their ex-wife.

Then everyone would stagger out to their cars and drive home.

Life was so much simpler then.

This must have been a REALLY long time ago. I'm not sure anyone would pine for this nowadays.

Got an invitation I did not expect - manager having it at his place this year? Never did before...
Dig a little deeper - wants to show off the new 6k SF home on lakefront spread - ain't going - guy's a clear case of nepotism ...

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Got an invitation I did not expect - manager having it at his place this year? Never did before...
Dig a little deeper - wants to show off the new 6k SF home on lakefront spread - ain't going - guy's a clear case of nepotism ...

You should go.
Maybe he does not have any real friends, and is extending a sincere invitation to you.
Besides, his lakefront spread might be a good place for some fishing!

Trolling.gif

Originally Posted By: HM12460
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
These parties are often viewed as "team Building" events. People who dont show are seen as not being team players.

Then I am not a team player. I spend 40+ hours a week with these dill weeds and that is quite enough. I refuse to socialize with co-workers when I am "off the clock".

I like your style...mainly because it's mine as well.

The vast majority of my coworkers are people who I would not otherwise give the time of day to and the feeling is mutual. Other than work we have nothing in common.

That's not to say I don't have any work friends; in fact, on Thanksgiving I did my annual 5k charity walk with a guy I last worked with over 20 years ago. If nothing else, that's a standing event we attend. There are about a half-dozen people from that employer that I keep in touch with, so it's not that I don't want to be friends with coworkers, I just need to have something in common with them. And I don't need my employer's help for that.
wink.gif

At any gathering you have to be VERY careful what you say. You can make lots of enemies if you are not watching what you say.

I don't want to feel like a dog with a muzzle on...

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
At any gathering you have to be VERY careful what you say. You can make lots of enemies if you are not watching what you say.

I don't want to feel like a dog with a muzzle on...

I follow regimental boozer protocol. Everything said at the party with a beer in your hand is off limits to work time conversation. Within limits, punching somebody etc is not on.

In the army the regimental boozer is like the confessional at church, you hear everything but nothing at the same time.

The civvies at work never did basic, but they get it anyway. You are judged buy your other 364 days, but not today. Never been a problem, but I'm fairly positive and gravitate towards the people whom I want to spend time with.

My suggestion, go to one here and there. Not every year. You don't have to stay long. Arrive, work around the room shaking hands and chatting, have a few sips and snacks. When you are ready, tell the host you enjoyed the party and thank him/her for inviting you.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
My suggestion, go to one here and there. Not every year. You don't have to stay long. Arrive, work around the room shaking hands and chatting, have a few sips and snacks. When you are ready, tell the host you enjoyed the party and thank him/her for inviting you.

That is very good advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back