Anyone get the letter from Ford about CK-4 oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW....

Here's a list of oils meeting the Ford WSS-M2C171-F1 spec. There is several CK-4 and lots of CJ-4 oils on it....in 15W40 at least. Dated December 2016 so pretty current list. Enjoy.

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/product.asp?product=Diesel+Motor+Oils+Meeting+Ford+WSS%2DM2C171%2DF1&category=Motor%20Oil

Last edited:
We do have a copy of it, but it's good to toss in this thread, thanks. You waited a rather long time for a first post.
wink.gif

That, too, doesn't bode well for how this whole thing went down. It shouldn't have been a secret to those involved that CK-4/SN oils would lose the phosphorus waiver, and that the oils would be much like an ACEA E6 by default. Modern oils are not appropriate for a new truck? Fantastic.

So after many years of hearing how far motor oil has come in relation to 30 years ago, do you think we've finally hit the high point and are starting to lose the wear protection due to government regulations? I'm not sure why they're so strict about motor oil these days, we had catalytic converters forever and never heard of problems from too much zddp in the oil.

I would agree that I didn't see a lot of problems with phosphorus in the oil, from personal anecdotes. Others obviously agree. Nonetheless, oils are always tradeoffs, and it seems we have a tradeoff now if you have a dual rated HDEO. Note that Europe has been using E6 lubricants for a long time, and if you take a good look at the approval list on a modern E6 lubricant, it's exceedingly long. The Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 approval list is longer than that for Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40. If there are problems, why is it only Ford that's having them, or publicizing them?

Also, what government regulation was involved in this? E6 is an ACEA thing and SN is an API thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back