HID kit lo beams point high

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given the number of drivers I see using high beams continuously I think that's the way they've "solved" their lighting issues. Once the plastic headlight lenses turn yellow and cloudy I guess that's a cheaper and easier fix for them than restoration or replacement. If it impairs others around them who cares? Many of them are too busy constricting their pupils with bright phone screens to even notice.

It was pretty cool when DOT restrictions on composite headlights finally relaxed. Now, I'm wishing we were back to a very limited set of sealed beam options. It's really utter chaos and anarchy out there where lighting is concerned. So, I don't waste my energy trying to talk people out of LED and HID conversions. They're going to do it, anyway.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
But you still can't see ____
Actually I take it back you *think* you see great but in reality your night vision is severely restricted because of all the light being dumped right in front of you. Not only there is no light being put in the distance, your pupils are closed and you can't see anything further.

That is why you don't do aftermarket lights.

This.
Brighter doesn't mean better. I wish people would understand this.

No; they don't. The scientific knowledge or curiosity is just not there in 90% of the people.

Seriously, would *you* rather believe some ahole explaining why you are not seeing vs your own eyes which show nice bright light right in front of you?

People just can't grasp the concept that drivers point of view does not = oncoming traffic point of view

Just because you believe you can see better due to the loads of light dumped in front to your car doesn't mean its not glaring directly or indirectly into the eyes of oncoming traffic drivers. Having someone wince or have to look away due to glare as they come barreling towards you at a critical moment, all the light in the world won't stop them from losing focus and hitting an object, you or someone else.

Automobile lighting engineers do all the calculations to consider all points of view and always consider safety. Armchair internet keyboard geniuses think that just because its for sale its safe and should be used whether its legal or not. There is a vast difference in ability to learn and process and just proceed in plain ignorance grabbing only the information that suits them. Those that wish to learn change after research. Those that choose to proceed even though they are presented the fact exemplify their ignorance.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
But you still can't see ____
Actually I take it back you *think* you see great but in reality your night vision is severely restricted because of all the light being dumped right in front of you. Not only there is no light being put in the distance, your pupils are closed and you can't see anything further.

That is why you don't do aftermarket lights.
I've got HIDs in my fog lights and hi beams. I love it. Fog lights are on a switch and can come on whenever the key is in run.

Buck 10022016

I didn't take notice before but isn't the beam pattern the same regardless whether hids or halogens are in. That being said, light is scattered everywhere no matter what. The only difference would be the color of the light and the brightness.

Of course not! The geometry of the light source is completely different with factory halogen bulb vs HID vs LED. which results in wildly different beam pattern on the road and the glare to the incoming traffic. Once again this is all physics and no politics or emotions in it.

Originally Posted By: gallydif
I didn't take notice before but isn't the beam pattern the same regardless whether hids or halogens are in. That being said, light is scattered everywhere no matter what. The only difference would be the color of the light and the brightness.

Lamp housings are required to fulfill photometric requirements set forth in FMVSS 108. "Light scattered everywhere" will not pass the requirements outlined in that regulation.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2004-title49-vol5/xml/CFR-2004-title49-vol5-sec571-108.xml

If you scroll about three quarters of the way down the page, you start seeing tables, with test points and maximum candela. A lamp producing the beam pattern of an HID-in-a-reflector-housing, even if it's just a halogen source, will not fulfill those requirements.

Last night I took out the Roadmaster which has stock lighting. Wow what a difference. Beam pattern is nice and neat. I can actually see further ahead with the halogens since they're not pointed to the ground like the hids in the caprice.

HID conversions and issues after that? I am more forgiving to those people.
But JEEP drivers and whatever LED cheap POS Made in China they are putting on their cars? I purposely hit high beams (Bi-Xenon) and swirl toward them.
If car does not have HID, I think better solution is some high quality bulb like OSRAM Night breaker or similar.

Old Caprice and HIDs, I don't know, slippery slope. How people gonna see when you put the 26s on it?

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
Old Caprice and HIDs, I don't know, slippery slope. How people gonna see when you put the 26s on it?

Not going to be doing that but I'd imagine the same way they see with the 26s on yours.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
Funny how little advice there is on the internet to use relays to boost stock headlight output.

I don't care if you put 2 more bulbs in there. Lighting is going to stink. The housings are garbage.

Last night I took out the Roadmaster which has stock lighting. Wow what a difference. Beam pattern is nice and neat. I can actually see further ahead with the halogens since they're not pointed to the ground like the hids in the caprice.

I'm almost done with the projector conversion on my Caprice.

Now that I'll have the process down, my Roadmaster is next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back