2008 Jeep Rubicon oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Jeep uses about a quart of oil between 1000 and 1500 miles. It has 75,000 miles on it but has used oil since new. I was never able to get a dealer to fail an oil usage test because it was always outside the limits to fail.
I know this is a common issue with the 3.8 engines. Sometimes the oil usage is worse than others, I guess that is due to weather it is driven on longer trips or shorter around town trips.
The owners manual recommends 5W-20 oil. Any harm to use 5W-30 or even 10W-30 that meets DaimlerChrysler Material Standard MS-6395?
I use PP most of the time but have used Mobil 1 in the past. I believe the Mobil 1 causes more oil usage than the PP.

Neither of those oils will be a problem. We have a well-used Wrangler at work that gets Maxlife 10w-40. It's slowed the consumption to the point where we don't add oil anymore.

We had one that burnt a quart every 650 miles. Chrysler said that was perfectly okay. Didn't seem to matter what we ran in it; the recommended 5w-20 all the way up to 15w-40 burnt a quart every 650 miles.

Run what you feel comfortable. Chrysler doesn't express any interest in fixing your engine, so don't run only Chrysler spec'd oil only for the warranty; they won't fix the problem should the engine spin a bearing.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
We had one that burnt a quart every 650 miles. Chrysler said that was perfectly okay. Didn't seem to matter what we ran in it; the recommended 5w-20 all the way up to 15w-40 burnt a quart every 650 miles.

Run what you feel comfortable. Chrysler doesn't express any interest in fixing your engine, so don't run only Chrysler spec'd oil only for the warranty; they won't fix the problem should the engine spin a bearing.
They won't fix any problems on a 2008.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: Miller88

They won't fix any problems on a 2008.

If Jonnied1 is the original owner, it should have a lifetime powertrane warranty. But they won't make good on it.

I'd start with a high mileage 5W-30 like Defy, and see if that controls it a but better. But no harm with thicker oils within reason...

My sisters 2012 Jeep Liberty purchased new ate a transmission at 48,000 miles and Chrysler refused to cover it. She was going to take legal action but traded it in instead. I know of two other people Jeep/Chrysler did this to they do not honor there warranty!

I'd use ST 5- or 10w30. Solid oil, lowest cost. With that consumption, you could probably go 10k between changes at least.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
My sisters 2012 Jeep Liberty purchased new ate a transmission at 48,000 miles and Chrysler refused to cover it. She was going to take legal action but traded it in instead. I know of two other people Jeep/Chrysler did this to they do not honor there warranty!

No lie? Well that will keep me away from them forever. Shame, I used to be a Dodge driver and was considering a Charger.

Last edited:
Yes, I am the original owner with the lifetime warranty. You have to keep up with the 5 year inspections to keep it in effect. Chrysler has stood behind it for me so far on other repairs.
This summer I took it in because of a possible bad u-joint in the front, and the front axle locker that would not engage. They replaced both front axles, seals, wheel bearings and repaired the locker issue at no cost.
I just plan on using Chrysler spec. oil as long as I own it. I also Keep all records and receipts for any maintenance so they would have a hard time proving a failure in the engine was due to lack of maintenance.

I have another 5 year inspection due in June 2017, don't let me forget about it.

Originally Posted By: jonnied1
Yes, I am the original owner with the lifetime warranty. You have to keep up with the 5 year inspections to keep it in effect. Chrysler has stood behind it for me so far on other repairs.
This summer I took it in because of a possible bad u-joint in the front, and the front axle locker that would not engage. They replaced both front axles, seals, wheel bearings and repaired the locker issue at no cost.
I just plan on using Chrysler spec. oil as long as I own it. I also Keep all records and receipts for any maintenance so they would have a hard time proving a failure in the engine was due to lack of maintenance.

I have another 5 year inspection due in June 2017, don't let me forget about it.

The engine is the only thing they didn't want to warranty. Rear differential rebuild, numerous TIPM replacements, 4 or 5 sets of axle seals, rear CV driveshaft, and Sentry key system were replaced under this warranty oddly enough without any issue.

Ultimately, the knocking engine and severe consumption lead to it being traded on something from a more reputable manufacturer.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
I'd start with a high mileage 5W-30 like Defy, and see if that controls it a but better. But no harm with thicker oils within reason...

If he is in WV, I'd run a 10w40 Maxlife or Pennzoil HM year round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back