Odd tire question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a 2016 IS300 F Sport that was just purchased. I love everything about it. Everything but the staggered wheel setup. The front wheels are 18"x8" and the rears are 18"x8.5"
I dislike the fact that I can't rotate the tires for maximum mileage. I suspect the handling improvement is minimal.

Has as anyone used the F Sport 18"x8" front wheels on the rear? Would enable same size tires, snow or summer, all round and enable rotation. Any downsides other than the cost of purchasing two wheels?

The front tires are 88 load Index and the rears are 90 Load Index. If you use 88 Load Index tires on the rear, the car will tend towards over steer - assuming you use the same tires front and rear.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
The front tires are 88 load Index and the rears are 90 Load Index. If you use 88 Load Index tires on the rear, the car will tend towards over steer - assuming you use the same tires front and rear.

Appreciate the reply. How would the offset difference between the two wheels affect their use. Front wheels 18 x 8 with 45 mm offset and rear wheels 18 x 8.5 with 50 mm offset?

Your front tires are 225/40-18 and your rears are 255/35-18. I can only assume that Toyota/Lexus have a bunch of engineering reasons for those two different tire/wheel sizes.

I'd strongly recommend sticking with the stock tire/wheel sizes.

If you get tires that are not directional, like these: Non-Directional tires then at least you could rotate left/right on the same axle.

HTH

Originally Posted By: MajorCavalry
I dislike the fact that I can't rotate the tires for maximum mileage.

How does the AWD system work on this car? Is it close to 50/50 torque split at all times, or something different? And are you finding that this results in very uneven tire wear, front to back?

I realize that more wear on the front will happen due to turning, regardless of AWD system setup, but in some setups, that wear difference is so minimal that it's not worth the hassle of rotating the tires.

GOing with the 18x8 in the rear, will mean you have a little more suspension clearance. But, that rear track width may be different also, which can affect the handling.

Since many factory tires leaves a lot to be desired, you have an excuse to upgrade the tires all around. And you also have a variety of load ranges to choose from.

255/35 has rolling circumference of slightly smaller than 225/40,

I know this isn't the answer you want to hear, but an F Sport isn't really an economy car and they have reasons for choosing wheel and tire sizes. The non-directional tire idea is probably the best if you want to rotate.

Originally Posted By: gaijinnv
Your front tires are 225/40-18 and your rears are 255/35-18. I can only assume that Toyota/Lexus have a bunch of engineering reasons for those two different tire/wheel sizes.

I'd strongly recommend sticking with the stock tire/wheel sizes.

If you get tires that are not directional, like these: Non-Directional tires then at least you could rotate left/right on the same axle.

HTH

I suspect the staggered tire set has more to do with looks than function. The standard IS 300 comes with 17" wheels and non-staggered set-up.

Sorry to sound mean, but you bought an expensive luxury performance car and are worried about wearing out tires? The manufacturer has thought about tire wear and will have some form of maintenance program to help out. They may have the alignment set up so that the car doesn't really need tire rotations or they may have tested and determined tire rotations unnecessary for the general use. Or maybe they thought they same thing I did. If you can afford a luxury car you can generally afford the products that go with it.

I never rotated tyres on my X351 XJL.

Can't say I can see it made much of difference as far a styre wear was concerned.

Why would you want less grip on the rear?

I suspect the staggered tire set has more to do with looks than function.

I suspect you are sadly mistaken.

This ranks right up with those who buy a luxury-performance car, then ask if they really need to put premium gas in, even though the manual says it's required.

This is not a cost question. I can easily afford four tires, even pricy ones! I do plan on using the staggered setup for my summer tires. No need for sarcastic remarks.

I was really concerned more with snow tires. I wanted to go with four of the exact same tire size on separate set of wheels for winter. Much more selection of tires for the fronts than the rears.

Originally Posted By: circuitsmith
This ranks right up with those who buy a luxury-performance car, then ask if they really need to put premium gas in, even though the manual says it's required.

Please see my previous post. It is not about COST. I do indeed use premium gas, synthetic oil, etc. Was looking to run Hakkapellita snows in the winter. This car is AWD but biased 70 to rear wheel drive.
My thought was that the wider, lower profile rear tire would be much less effective.

I should have been more clear in my initial post.

I own a 2016 IS300 F Sport that was just purchased. I love everything about it. Everything but the staggered wheel setup. The front wheels are 18"x8" and the rears are 18"x8.5"
I dislike the fact that I can't rotate the tires for maximum mileage. I suspect the handling improvement is minimal.

Has as anyone used the F Sport 18"x8" front wheels on the rear? Would enable same size tires, snow or summer, all round and enable rotation. Any downsides other than the cost of purchasing two wheels?

This is not a cost question. I can easily afford four tires, even pricy ones! I do plan on using the staggered setup for my summer tires. No need for sarcastic remarks.

I was really concerned more with snow tires. I wanted to go with four of the exact same tire size on separate set of wheels for winter. Much more selection of tires for the fronts than the rears.

Was it 2 or 4?
It sounded like you want to save money and buy 2 wheels for winter duty and combine them with 2 existing ones from front.

Krzys

Originally Posted By: krzyss

Was it 2 or 4?
It sounded like you want to save money and buy 2 wheels for winter duty and combine them with 2 existing ones from front.

Krzys

Not really trying to save money. Would purchase two OEM front wheels to match the OEM front wheels that I have. Mount 4 snows of the same size and run these in the winter. Run the staggered set up in the summer. May just purchase four front wheels, TPMS and snows so that I can just do a winter changeover.

I would just look into buying a cheap winter wheel and tire combo if that was the case. Or as someone said,You could probably get away with just buying one pair. But I think in the long term, it would be more convenient and save enough time to pay for buying a full set.

Sorry, it just irks me when people buy a sports car or an SUV then complain about fuel economy and tire wear and things like that when they just paid a bunch for the car.

Why not just get a dedicated set of 17" rims and tires for winter? According to tirerack, 17s will fit your car. And you'll have a much better selection of winter tires in that size (225/45/17), not to mention a little bit more sidewall between a rim and a winter pothole.

Size 225/40/18 isn't all that functional when it comes to winter, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back