Brake pad shelf life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was poking through the garage and found a set of brake pads that I had bought for my girlfriend's car but never got around to putting them on (Akebono ProACT front pads). Still in the box, never opened them up. Looked through my order history and they were bought almost 3 years ago. Have some time this weekend and thinking about doing her brakes. Any concern with them sitting on the shelf for three years?

Originally Posted By: InvalidUserID
Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
If it is, Rock Auto has a big problem.

That made me laugh.

They sent me a set pads for my LS400 that were so old I thought the holy-grail might be inside.

I bought brake shoes for my van on a closeout to have when I needed rear brakes. 15 years later it needed them, that was over 5 years ago. LOL The brakes were fine and still are. Three year old brakes sitting in a box never used, they're brand new!

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
If it is, Rock Auto has a big problem.

crackmeup2.gif
Some of the stuff they ship almost qualifies as antique. I bought a bunch of parts and equipment from an old garage that the owner died, in there were new riveted brake shoes from the 30's-70's all were still perfectly serviceable (lots of asbestos in these old timers).

Originally Posted By: Trav
crackmeup2.gif
Some of the stuff they ship almost qualifies as antique. I bought a bunch of parts and equipment from an old garage that the owner died, in there were new riveted brake shoes from the 30's-70's all were still perfectly serviceable (lots of asbestos in these old timers).

I thought a lot of brake material still had asbestos?

I think the real problem is how come you waited three years to change her brakes? If they can withstand the heat of being on the vehicle, sitting on the shelf is ok.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I thought a lot of brake material still had asbestos?

I heard there are companies still using it, it would be nice to know for sure.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I think the real problem is how come you waited three years to change her brakes?

She's been using my Civic almost exclusively so her car has seen maybe 10k over the past three years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back