My Roku 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had my Roku 3 on my bedroom tv for awhile now but it wasn`t getting much use because I`d only watch tv up there for maybe a half hour before going to sleep. This week I decided to cancel my Direct TV subscription and move my Roku 3 to the living room tv that sees the most use. I don`t think I will miss my Direct TV much, between my set antenna and the Roku I have plenty of programs .I went from around $65 a month to $20 a month now for tv .That`s a savings of $540 a year. I save a similar amount when I went from my AT&T hardline phone service to a Ooma Telo voip phone system. For me the only thing I think I will miss is the "Velocity" channel. I watched that a lot.

I dropped AT&T internet and went with Comcast Xfinity for 1 year I will pay $15 a month so I`m saving around $30 a month there too which I didn`t include. After the year is up I will probably be paying about an equall amount for internet service as with AT&T but with a better internet speed on Comcast.My internet I need for my computer reguardless.On the Roku I have the basic package only and see no reason to add on to it. Plus I have a whole bunch of free channels added on.

You're paying only $15/month for internet through Comcast?? That has to be the deal of the year. I'm not aware of any major carrier offering internet for less than about $35/month. We have Comcast, and internet only at our address was about $39.99/month as I recall. We bought the basic cable bundle with it, because we live in the mountains and can't get antenna reception without a lot of infrastructure (tall mast, etc).

I know Comcast offers introductory rates but I have never heard of it being $15.00. I'm at $70.00ish month for (80 down/ 7up) Internet/phone service. Non introductory price-but I'm on a contract to get that price. Normally it's like $80.00-at least here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
55$ here for 5/30

That's about what I would expect.

Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
I dropped AT&T internet and went with Comcast Xfinity for 1 year I will pay $15 a month

I wish I could do that. Here, AT&T is the only option, and I am currently being raped at the rate of $57/month for 18/1.5 link, and that's because I have triple play. If I only had internet, it would be even higher.

Quote:
On the Roku I have the basic package only

What is a "basic package?" Are you subscribing to any services such as Netflix, Hulu, SlingTV, etc?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
I dropped AT&T internet and went with Comcast Xfinity for 1 year I will pay $15 a month

I wish I could do that. Here, AT&T is the only option, and I am currently being raped at the rate of $57/month for 18/1.5 link, and that's because I have triple play. If I only had internet, it would be even higher.

Quote:
On the Roku I have the basic package only

What is a "basic package?" Are you subscribing to any services such as Netflix, Hulu, SlingTV, etc?

Meant to say I have the basic Sling TV package at $20 a month. The Roku 3 cost like $99 and has a lot of free channels loaded up on it.The Comcast internet was an offer for 19.99 a month for 1 year. I set up for auto-pay and they dropped another $5 off per month.

After my 1 year trial on Comcast internet on the 10mps plan I`m sure it will go up . Last I heard that would be like $49, unless they give me another offer of some type.

My wife and I cut the cord approximately 2 years ago. Use an indoor antenna + a Roku 3. We pay $34.00 month for 15/2.5 Internet and also pay $12.00 a month for the no ad version of Hulu+. There are a lot of free channels on the ROKU + one can do a search for "free private channels" and add them too.

As far as home "land line" I use an Obihai 200 (cost around $50.00) with a free Google Voice Number that gives my wife and I free unlimited calling in the United States and Canada. Google Voice is free and has many free features.

Wife and I have two cell phones: One on Ring+ which provides free monthly service (they have other options too). I am using one of their free ones. The other cell phone is using Republic wireless which I have had over a year unlimited talk text, Wi-Fi for data and that comes in @ $13.15 a month including E911 and taxes. Now their basic plan runs $15.00 a month as I recall?

I cut my Dish about a year ago ($100/mo) I now have Roku w/ Hulu + Netflix ($24/mo). Saves $900 per year. I got an outdoor antenna from Walmart dot com for $35, it really reaches out there. I get about 40-50 channels free over the air.

I ported my telephone number over from Verizon to my internet provider. From $40/mo to $12/mo with free LD & all calling features.

I also canceled my Sirius/XM subscription ($200 per year) for free Spotify thru the cars bluetooth & my iphone. Better than Sirius.

Going with Tracfone cell service ($20 every 3 months, unused rolls over) versus $45 per mo.

I've been slashing costs lately. I highly recommend all of the above...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back