Tire pressure question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
The Mercedes E350 has two stickers, one by the door and another one in the gas cap. It recommends a higher PSI rating if you're going over 100mph, which is kinda strange as it's not really legal anywhere on the street.

Probably a carryover from Autobahn recommendations in Germany...and, I saw plenty of people driving way over 100mph in Italy even though it was NOT legal there. I was told that budget cuts had gutted their highway patrols and the only thing to worry about was cameras, and surely the locals knew where those were.

Originally Posted By: Run
What should I go by when inflating my tires? The label on the door or the number on the sidewall? I have always followed the door label unless the tire has a significantly higher max PSI. For example the label says 35 and the tires are also 35 then 35 PSI is all I will put in. Now if the tires are max 44 and the label says 35 I would put 40 PSI. Any issues with that plan? I just never get a consistent answer when I ask people in the tire business.

I usually fill up tires 4-5 lbs lower than MAX of whats on tire.
IE 44PSI sees 38-39,watch your tire wear and rotate every oil change
chances are you will like what you see

Originally Posted By: Doog
As a rule I go 2psi over the door label.

+1 This is what I always do. Allows for me forgetting to check or a cold day where I might lose PSI. At least I know I wont be under.

Granted the majority of the world outside of BITOG will drive with 8PSI over when they get their old changed and the monkey cranks the air into it then doesn't check until the next oil change where it is 8 under. This is where it isn't a bad idea to have TPMS but personally I prefer to check it myself

Originally Posted By: Excel
Originally Posted By: Run
What should I go by when inflating my tires? The label on the door or the number on the sidewall? I have always followed the door label unless the tire has a significantly higher max PSI. For example the label says 35 and the tires are also 35 then 35 PSI is all I will put in. Now if the tires are max 44 and the label says 35 I would put 40 PSI. Any issues with that plan? I just never get a consistent answer when I ask people in the tire business.

And this is based on what? Did you read the other responses in the thread that explain the differences between the number on the tire and the number on the placard?

Originally Posted By: Excel

I run LT285/70-17 E-Rated tires on my 2013 Toyota Land Cruiser.

Max pressure on the tire is 80psi.

Recommended pressure for my application is 40psi.

Are you seriously suggesting that I should be running my tires at 75-76psi?

If so, you're incredibly (and dangerously) wrong.

HTH

I generally run 10% over the tire label cold inflation pressure. Nice even wear and not harsh ride. Label says 30psi then I go 33psi. That's most cars. Monitor your tire wear. If the outer edges are wearing more than the center, bump up the pressure. If the center is wearing faster, drop some pressure. Never go lower than the cars tire label or higher than the tire max pressure when checked cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back