Rotella 15w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just looking around today at the oils at the store . I noticed that Rotella 15-w40 had an updated labeling . I got to reading specs on the back and it now says jaso ma and jaso ma2 . I`m pretty sure the last jug I bought was only spec at jaso ma.

Ya got me. I didn`t spend time reading the whole backside of the container.

JASO introduced 2 ratings for 4 stroke motorcycle oils:

JASO MA – This was the standard for single unit engines where the wet clutch, gearbox and engine used the same oil. JASO-MA oils don’t contain friction modifiers.

Then in 2006 JASO introduced…..

JASO-MA2 – This specification was introduced in 2006 for modern motorcycle engines. As well as being a higher standard of oil the JASO-MA2 approval means the oil is suitable for use in bikes with catalytic converts in the exhaust system.

I just got this googling it...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder
Its been rated Jaso ma for a long time now, maybe its more noticeable on the new bottles?

Yea, I`ve seen the ma rating for quite some time but never an ma2 rating .

Originally Posted By: double vanos
JASO introduced 2 ratings for 4 stroke motorcycle oils:

JASO MA – This was the standard for single unit engines where the wet clutch, gearbox and engine used the same oil. JASO-MA oils don’t contain friction modifiers.

Then in 2006 JASO introduced…..

JASO-MA2 – This specification was introduced in 2006 for modern motorcycle engines. As well as being a higher standard of oil the JASO-MA2 approval means the oil is suitable for use in bikes with catalytic converts in the exhaust system.

I just got this googling it...

I would suggest re-calibrating your google then. MA2 has no different specifications regarding catalyst compatibility than MA or MA1. The only difference between MA, MA1, MA2 and MB are in regard to clutch friction results. All other test requirements are exactly the same.

JASO Spec
Page 15 and 16 of the document show what I am referring to.

Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder
Its been rated Jaso ma for a long time now, maybe its more noticeable on the new bottles?

Yea, I`ve seen the ma rating for quite some time but never an ma2 rating .

yeah sorry i misread your first post.

and yeah i checked my local stores and i've only seen the new spec on the new style bottles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back